Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vieri breaks his silence Saturday 25 February, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christian Vieri has given his first interview in two years and discussed his World Cup hopes, his new life in Monaco and his war with the Press.

“My problem has been the vast difference between what I let people know about me and what the newspapers like to say. When I was 20 years old I would go out clubbing every night, but at 32 I act differently,” he told the Gazzetta dello Sport. “There’s even talk I’m a cocaine addict, but that’s complete rubbish, like 80 per cent of the things said about me.”

Vieri has always had a tough rapport with the Italian Press, which came to a head at Euro 2004 when he said he was “more of a man” than all the journalists put together.

“Regret is a hard word to say, but I wouldn’t repeat that phrase. It was a mistake, above all to generalise and drag in people who weren’t involved.”

This was one of the reasons why he opted to leave Italy and head for Monaco in January, where he has been scoring regularly under Coach Francesco Guidolin.

“Monaco wanted me and I don’t consider them to be a taxi to get me to the World Cup,” he assured. “My form is growing day by day and I am grateful to this club and Guidolin. I return to Milan once a week, but the atmosphere here is so relaxed. I think I could play until 2010.”

Vieri left Milan after just six months because the lack of first team football risked ruling him out of the World Cup squad. It’ll be his last chance to play in this tournament, one that has bitter memories for him from that close-range miss against South Korea in 2002.

“At times I still think about that miss,” he confessed. “Had I scored, we would’ve gone all the way, as that was an incredibly strong squad. Representing your country at the World Cup is the ultimate for a player, as the adrenaline bursts out of your ears! I would like to feel that sensation one more time. Coach Marcello Lippi didn’t directly push me towards Monaco, but in the summer he did say he wanted to see me play this season. I lived like a King at Milan, but leaving now was necessary.”

He loved the city so much that he moved directly across the San Siro in a shock switch, leaving some bitter recrimination from his former Inter teammates.

“When we agreed to rescind the contract I said: ‘I won’t talk about you and you won’t talk about me.’ I still hear the odd snipe in my direction, but don’t pay attention. I just wish to point out two things. Firstly, I agreed to leave by giving up on £2.4m without a new club waiting for me, as before Milan I had only received an offer from Greece. Second, I don’t think my partnership with Adriano was so very absurd and this season has proved that.”

Vieri has twice broken the record for the most expensive ever signing, but has won precious little in his career.

“I’ve been unlucky,” he noted. “I lost a Champions League Final with Juventus and threw away two Scudetto titles on the last day, one with Lazio and the infamous May 5 2002 with Inter. That night I felt like throwing myself out of a window and it still eats away at me. As for the money, the only time I ever made a move purely for cash was when Juve sold me to Atletico Madrid, and both parties were happy with that exchange.”

On Sunday, Lippi will unveil his squad for the friendly against Germany and many believe Vieri will be on that list.

“Will I go to the World Cup? I think so, but if I don’t, then my respect for Lippi would not wane. This is a wonderful side and, if Francesco Totti recovers, they’ll have the best assist-man on the planet with the formidable Luca Toni and Alberto Gilardino. Mind you, this little old man is getting his form back and can prove useful. Brazil is a dream team, but only Italy can beat them and I want to be there when it happens.”

channel4

·
Banned
734 Posts
what a class act, he wants toni and gilardino to do well, even though he knows he is competing with them. i really hope he makes the team

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I've always admired Bobo, & if at 32 he got what he had once; the goal scoring abilities no body else have, it would be delightful to have him in our NT squad!!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i can't believe this sh!t

just because he gives a polite interview, he should be on the world cup team ???

wtf! did you forgot what he did at 2004 ? he screwed chance after chance.
also at milan & inter he sucked big time between 2004-2006.

this guy has lost it! besides we have better alternatives.
hey, even inzaghi is a better player atm!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah what an admirable man that Vieri is.

The same man whose only allegiance has ever gone to the club willing to promise him a doubling of his already outrageously high salary, resulting in his changing 9 teams in 9 seasons.

The same man who's probably shagged more deluxe prostitutes than the whole Inter team put together. And that includes an acquaintance of mine btw lol, though she really just is a soubrette wannabee.

The same man who called a journalist asking him a benign question a "mongoloid" in WC 2002.

The same man who in his last press conference claimed, in his semi-literate Italian of course, that he was a better man than all of the 30 odd persons present in the room that day.

Such a respectable person, that Vieri. Let's hope Unicef has a job for him if, God forbid, Lippi were to omit him from the WC squad.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Kaiser Franco said:
Yeah what an admirable man that Vieri is.

The same man whose only allegiance has ever gone to the club willing to promise him a doubling of his already outrageously high salary, resulting in his changing 9 teams in 9 seasons.

The same man who's probably shagged more deluxe prostitutes than the whole Inter team put together. And that includes an acquaintance of mine btw lol, though she really just is a soubrette wannabee.

The same man who called a journalist asking him a benign question a "mongoloid" in WC 2002.

The same man who in his last press conference claimed, in his semi-literate Italian of course, that he was a better man than all of the 30 odd persons present in the room that day.

Such a respectable person, that Vieri. Let's hope Unicef has a job for him if, God forbid, Lippi were to omit him from the WC squad.
nothing wrong with that !! :D

We could bring out many players "dirty laundry", and use that as reasons not to call them into the WC squad

all we would have left to choose from may be DP and Maldini !!! :howler:

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
I don't favour Vieri to be in the National team but I think Lippi likes him enough to choose him,as long as he scores just enough goals. :) :sigh:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2/28/2006 10:47 PM

Christian 'Bobo' Vieri: A Career Overview

The career of Italian forward Christian Vieri has seen more than its share of ups and downs.

It took the man known as "Bobo" a while to really make his mark on the footballing scene. Over the first years of his professional career, the much-traveled striker hopped from one club to another; unsuccessful at a number of low-prestige teams. It was not until the 1996-97 campaign when Vieri caught his first break, being picked up by Juventus. He netted 8 times for his new team on way to his first Scudetto and runners-up honours in the Champions League. He moved to Spain in the following off season and with Atletico de Madrid, established himself as a dominating force, scoring 24 times in as many matches.

On his return back to Italy with Lazio, Bobo netted the game winning goal in the European Cup Winners' Cup against Mallorca. He was then transferred to Internazionale in 1999 for a world record 35 million pounds; a fee branded "disgusting" by the Vatican. Bobo finally found a home in Milan where he scored 122 goals in six seasons with Inter Vieri opted to terminate his contract with the Nerazzurri in the summer of 2005, moving to city rivals AC Milan in order to receive more first-team football ahead of the 2006 World Cup in Germany. The move backfired however, forcing him to leave after only six months, moving to the French Ligue 1 where he is currently scoring more regularly again with AS Monaco. He seems to be enjoying life there and is already feeling younger.

"Monaco wanted me and I don't consider them to be a taxi to get me to the World Cup," he assured. "My form is growing day by day and I am grateful to this club and Guidolin. I return to Milan once a week, but the atmosphere here is so relaxed. I think I could play until 2010."

The outspoken 32 year old has a history of getting himself mentioned in the press for the wrong reasons. Over the years, he has gotten into a number of rows with his coaches such as Radomir Antic at Atletico, Marcelo Lippi at Juventus, and Alberto Zaccheroni at Inter. His most notable wrangle was at Euro 2004 when after harsh words were released about him and his teammates.

"I'm not talking to you people ever again," he fumed after the Azzurri's 1-1 draw with Sweden. "None of you may judge me as a man because I am more of a man than all of you put together. You have no idea how much of a man I am."

For two years Vieri did not speak to journalists again. Only last weekend, did he break his silence and was apologetic for his actions.

"Regret is a hard word to say, but I wouldn't repeat that phrase. It was a mistake, above all to generalize and drag in people who weren't involved."

Still, Vieri remains upset with Italian journalists with how he is often treated and has tried to clear his name.

"My problem has been the vast difference between what I let people know about me and what the newspapers like to say. When I was 20 years old I would go out clubbing every night, but at 32 I act differently," he told the Gazzetta dello Sport. "There's even talk I'm a cocaine addict, but that's complete rubbish, like 80 per cent of the things said about me."

Vieri is not one who endears himself to the football world. Inter fans grew to love the man who carried the team for years but the relationship between Bobo and the Inter faithful soured near the end. Many felt betrayed when he left to city rivals Milan. It is a possiblity that it was many Inter fans who turned their back on Vieri once Adriano came onto the scene. Feelings of hurt may have contributed to his departure. Vieri wished to leave on the best of terms possible, given the situation.

"When we agreed to rescind the contract I said: 'I won't talk about you and you won't talk about me.' I still hear the odd snipe in my direction, but don't pay attention. I just wish to point out two things. Firstly, I agreed to leave by giving up on £2.4m without a new club waiting for me, as before Milan I had only received an offer from Greece. Second, I don't think my partnership with Adriano was so very absurd and this season has proved that.
As for the money, the only time I ever made a move purely for cash was when Juve sold me to Atletico Madrid, and both parties were happy with that exchange."

There is one thing that can be known for certain and agreed upon; nothing positive came out of Vieri's move to Milan, neither for him nor the fans.

As impressive as Vieri has been over the years, he has failed to win much silverware.

"I've been unlucky," he said. "I lost a Champions League Final with Juventus and threw away two Scudetto titles on the last day, one with Lazio and the infamous May 5 2002 with Inter. That night I felt like throwing myself out of a window and it still eats away at me."

Lippi, Italy's current coach, announced yesterday, his squad selection for Wednesday's friendly against Germany. Vieri's good form with Monaco has earned him again, a spot on the team. This is a big step for the player who the country has depended on for so long, to be named to the final squad that will be sent to Germany in June. He maintains that the Azzurri are still one of the favourites to win the tournament.

"Will I go to the World Cup? I think so, but if I don't, then my respect for Lippi would not wane. This is a wonderful side and, if Francesco Totti recovers, they'll have the best assist-man on the planet with the formidable Luca Toni and Alberto Gilardino. Mind you, this little old man is getting his form back and can prove useful. Brazil is a dream team, but only Italy can beat them and I want to be there when it happens."

Vieri has had mixed fortunes with Italy during his international career. He netted five goals in five matches at World Cup 98, his breakout tournament. After missing Euro 2000 due to injury, he responded with four goals in four games at the World Cup 02 for a total of nine goals in as many outings; a very impressive tally. Unfortunately, he is most remembered for his sub-par performance at Euro 2004 in which nothing could come off for him. It is often forgotten however, that the big man came into the tournament with a nagging leg injury that worsened as the tournament progressed. He is determined to redeem himself to the Azzurri faithful. With this most likely being his final international tournament, it would be a great way to go out, helping Italy to their fourth World Cup triumph. Right now he is taking it one step at a time and is focused on getting back into form.

Once considered one of the world's deadliest strikers, Vieri has been taken off the football map. Though Bobo's best days are behind him, desperate to prove critics wrong, Vieri will undoubtedly do all he can to get into the form he is still capable of reaching and in doing so, showing the world that he is not just a shadow of his former self. There may be a few big Bobo goals in him yet.

Aaron Pires Mammoliti

goal.com

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
Im glad some people remember what Vieri is really like.

If he was scoring like he was for Inter than he could say what ever he wanted and still make the team as he was the most deadly striker in the Europe, but in the last 2 years he has had a massive blow to his ego by having to make space for Adriano and then sitting on the bench for Milan. I dont hitnk Vieri will be able offer anything more than what Luca Toni or Gilardino will be able to offer.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vieri targets World Cup goal Friday 24 March, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christian Vieri intends to make history this summer by becoming Italy’s all-time top scorer in World Cup Finals.

The Monaco man currently shares the record of nine goals with Spain ’82 hero Paolo Rossi, but he wants the title to himself.

“Going to Germany is important for me,” he told Sky Italia. “I currently have nine goals in the final stages and if I get one more then I will be the new leader with 10.”

Vieri, scorer of 23 international goals in total, netted five at France ’98 before the nation’s quarter-final exit and then grabbed four ahead of the golden goal defeat to South Korea four years later.

Despite his questionable form over recent seasons, the 32-year-old seems certain of a place in Marcello Lippi’s 23-man squad given the relationship between the two men.

“We have a sincere rapport,” continued Vieri. “If we have anything to say then we will say it to each other’s face.

“I’ve known him for years and I joined Inter because he was also there. He gives me belief, makes me feel important and that is key for a player.”

Vieri was also asked to comment on whether his former boss should call Antonio Cassano, a man who like himself opted to join a new club in January in order to improve his Mondiale chances.

“He seems very serene to me and happy with his decision to join Real Madrid,” added Vieri who left Milan at the start of the year.

“I can’t say whether he should go to the World Cup as that is up to the Coach to decide. All I’ll say is that he is a champion.”

The centre-forward also had words of encouragement for injured Roma captain Francesco Totti.

“We are all waiting for him because he is a fantastic player,” noted Bobo. “Nobody supplies strikers with assists like he does.”

channel4

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Vieri will be there which means the strikers going will be Totti, Del piero, Vieri, Gila, Toni... possibly 1 more if Lippifeels we dont need that extra midfield cover... that 1 more I just hope is not Iaquinta right now.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vieri still has Germany ‘06 hope Wednesday 29 March, 2006

Christian Vieri is optimistic that he can recover from his knee injury in time to make the World Cup Finals squad.

The Monaco striker is now a major doubt for the tournament after picking up a knock in Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Paris Saint-Germain.

Vieri has suffered slight damage to his ligaments, but tests in northern Italy last night have ruled out the need for surgery.

“I’m not worried,” Vieri told Sky Italia after his visit to a Varese clinic. “It all went well and I’m happy even if my knee does hurt.

“I still don’t know how long I will be out for, but the important thing is that nothing is broken. The World Cup? I’ll just take it day by day now.”

The Italian ace is expected to be sidelined for at least a month though, with his return possibly set for the April 29 game against Nantes.

Vieri was seemingly a certainty for selection before this latest blow given the consideration which boss Marcello Lippi has for him.

“We have to be optimistic,” said Lippi last night. “I’ve spoken with the player and the national team medical unit will speak with the doctor who examined him on Wednesday.”

Should the much-travelled hitman not be declared fit in time for the German trip, Lippi will have to consider other options.

If he goes for a straight substitution then he is likely to call Livorno target man Cristiano Lucarelli who continues to ripple nets in Serie A.

Otherwise, Lippi could give himself a different attacking option in the form of Milan striker Pippo Inzaghi, a great friend of Vieri, or Real Madrid substitute Antonio Cassano.

channel4

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Go away, a 100% fit Vieri is debatable, so a Vieri who might only just be fit should definitley not be called.

If you think we will already risk Totti then we cant afford to have another injured striker in our squad. Inzagji or Lucarelli must be called. Please no Iaquinta or Cassano.

·
Banned
734 Posts
Deano said:
Go away, a 100% fit Vieri is debatable, so a Vieri who might only just be fit should definitley not be called.

If you think we will already risk Totti then we cant afford to have another injured striker in our squad. Inzagji or Lucarelli must be called. Please no Iaquinta or Cassano.
cassano hasnt a chance, but i would rather have vieri over iaquinta

A

·
0 Posts
come on ROMA fans u know wayyyy better that off form cassano is much better then in form iaquinta of vieri cassano should be called for sure

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Cassano should be called when hes in that form or considerable shape

Until then I would call even Tavano before him right now.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts