Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
41,267 Posts
Your opinion mate. I'd say their qualities are different, but they make for a world class duo together. They compliment eachother well.

Overall though, Vidic is the better defender. Many people on these boards seem to think Rio got Vidic to his current level and yet they don't realise that he was already close to being world class at age 20, still playing for Red Star. Made his debut for the NT in a qualifier away to Italy and actually pretty easily shut down Inzaghi and Del Piero in that match and has been doing the same ever since, without Rio.

The man has been a leader wherever he went. Scored important headers, always took penalties for his sides (something most don't know) and acted like a true pro on and off the pitch.

Now onto Man Utd this season, I don't think you can argue that Rio was more important than Vida, who was the backbone of the not conceded run Man Utd made earlier this year. Also, he's scored important headers and as a defender is actually topping the bookie charts for being this years' best player in the Premier League. So I believe a few people agree with me.

Not taking anything away from Rio, who is world class and has been on this level for a while now, Vida is better at positioning, heading, making interceptions, tackling, is the more aggressive defender, is an attacking threat as well and is stronger. Now I'll go onto why the compliment eachother, Rio is a better passer (although Vida's not as bad as many make him out to be), is better on the ball, quicker and is good in dropping behind Vida, acting as a sweeper, allowing Nemanja to battle it out.

Overall, this season Vida is better, Rio has of course had a more impressive career so far and wins it if we look at the long run. But age is also on Nemanja's side, so there's room for even more success. At the end of the day though, this defensive duo is the best on the planet and we can all envy Man Utd for it.

·
Banned
564 Posts
They're totally different to each other, Rio's laid back, never really slides in for a tackle, hardly ever gets booked

Vidic clears the ball into row-Z, most of the time, a no-nonsense defender

great to have them both at United.

·
Registered
41,267 Posts
Do leave off Rio orchestrates that defence. He is the conductor. Without him it is ****ed :smileani:

Very good duo together though.
He does and he does it well, but so does Nemanja.

Nemanja's been orchestrating defensive set ups since he got started in this beautiful game. Captain at Red Star, leader at Spartak and the most commanding defender the Serbian NT has had in decades and look at our group standings, we're doing it without Rio so far. :pp

Also, in that 14 match run, I believe Vida did a reasonable job of orchestrating, wouldn't you say?

·
Registered
27,573 Posts
Anyone that says Rio/Vidic by a mile is a fool and should not be taken seriously. They are both great players that compliment each other perfectly. Without Vidic, Rio can look shakey (it's no coincidence he played like crap from 2004-2005 and since then has regained his status as one of the world's best since Vidic has been his partner), and without Rio, Vidic is not the same player either.

Vidic has had a monster year and should be a leading candidate for EPL POTY.

·
Registered
27,573 Posts
He does and he does it well, but so does Nemanja.

Nemanja's been orchestrating defensive set ups since he got started in this beautiful game. Captain at Red Star, leader at Spartak and the most commanding defender the Serbian NT has had in decades and look at our group standings, we're doing it without Rio so far. :pp

Also, in that 14 match run, I believe Vida did a reasonable job of orchestrating, wouldn't you say?
Nah, it was Rio's encouragement from the sidelines that was most important. :rollani::yuck::thmbdown:

·
Registered
25,267 Posts
Do leave off Rio orchestrates that defence. He is the conductor. Without him it is ****ed :smileani:

Very good duo together though.

Yeah, it was fucked during the 14 games they went unbeaten and Rio missed half the games. Vidic was playing at the back with Rafael, Johnny Evans and John O'Shea for half of that run. Two very inexperienced players and John O'Shea!!

Not only that but Vidic whilst at Red Star made a guy called Milan Dudic look so good that Everton would have signed him had the Rooney deal to Man Utd had gone through earlier. This guy is now playing at Red Bull Salzburg.

·
Registered
25,267 Posts
Both are great defenders though but this season Vidic has been immense and despite one bad game vs Liverpool has been the best player in the league.

He also marshalls the Serbian defence brilliantly and has played with 5 different partners since September. Once he has a stable partner next to him (this is key to any defence) then he'll probably look even better in defence.

It's no coincidence that we went from conceding 1 goal in 10 games with Vidic to 10 goals in 3 games without him during the WC 2006 campaign.

·
MVP
9,123 Posts
I think you berate Vidic when you say "Rio by a mile" -

Vidic isn't a leader just yet, but he has the attributes to become one in the future. Okay he has his moments - but at the end of the day this is all part of experience. I still think him and Rio are the top defenders in the world right now.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
As a player, I think Vidic is the better defender. More ability. Rio is more of an organizer and has great importance, but I love Nemanja's natural ability. Great athlete.

·
MVP
9,123 Posts
So you are saying Vidic is more important?

mmm interesting.
Actually that's not what I said (or meant).

But I'd like to ask you something, why is this question important to you? What are you trying to prove or conclude here?

To answer your question, if I had to choose, I'd say Rio is more important - he's the captain, has alot of experience, is a real leader and fighter on the pitch, and someone who's presence on the pitch is important in the Man United lineup

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Vidic isn't a leader just yet, but he has the attributes to become one in the future. Okay he has his moments - but at the end of the day this is all part of experience. I still think him and Rio are the top defenders in the world right now.
Vidic is 27 years old. If he isn't a leader now, he will never be. Having said that, I'll probably slightly edge towards Vidic as the better defender, there isn't much in it though.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually that's not what I said (or meant).

But I'd like to ask you something, why is this question important to you? What are you trying to prove or conclude here?
It wasn't aimed at you.

They are regarded as two excellent defenders so it is interesting to see which one is held in the highest regard.

Not trying to prove anything. It is a player comparison of which there have been thousands on XT.

They both add such a lot to the team but if one had to be sacrificed which one?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts