Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://football-italia.net/57072/figc-ask-fifa-video-replays

FIGC President Carlo Tavecchio argues video replays during games would “take only 11 seconds and we hope to use them next season.”

There were several new elements in the 2014 World Cup, from referees using spray cans to set walls on free kicks to goal line technology.

Tavecchio has sent a formal appeal to FIFA asking for video replays to be introduced in Serie A from 2015-16.

“The timing depends on the International Board and how much pressure FIFA put on them,” Tavecchio told Sky Sport Italia.

“We have opened the door and hope to use video replays from next season.”

Critics argue that the replays would slow down the tempo of a match and cause chaos.

“It would take only 11 seconds to analyse an event, which is ridiculously short compared to the time wasted on protests and celebrations.

“Future developments obviously depend on the International Board and we know this is a laborious procedure.

“The decision on whether it’s a penalty or not will always be down to the referee, as his discretion remains the supreme judge.

“This is simply technology to help the referees make their decisions. If we look at the various big Federations, Italy are certainly the first to have presented our candidacy for experimentation.”

---

Thoughts?

Personally I can't see a single reason not to implement its use.

If it's done in a timely fashion it would hardly impede the flow of the game in comparison to the bitching, moaning and fighting that already happens with any contentious decision on the pitch.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Of course. Coming from North America no replay seems so antiquated but I've enjoyed the novelty of it almost as a true old world experience as a fan. As a wiser more complete football fan in my late 20s now I want to see it for integrity. It won't take long and there is already extra time added for knocks and stretches. To have 8min extra time after the 90 would be fine.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Will never happen. The powers that be like to maintain some ability to influence the results of games. They will not give up that power easily.

We are talking about the same people who refuse to allocate referee by draw and instead prefer to have someone somewhere pick them (despite Calciopoli phone calls) like we saw last week: the incompetent Rocchi for Juve-Roma and Rizzoli to Sampdoria-Empoli.

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
FIFA won't allow it.

But if there is one country where it would make the most sense, it's Italy, the football community there seems obsessed with the moviola. ;)

·
Banned
9,221 Posts
It would take only 11 seconds to analyse an event, which is ridiculously short compared to the time wasted on protests and celebrations."
LOL :howler:

Where the hell did he get that number from? Why 11? Why not 10 or 12?

Like all incidents takes equal time to analyse anyways :palm:

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
agnelli won't allow it.

#juveladri

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Galliani said he is in favor of it depending on the situation. They need to get with the times and allow the technology to be used... even the senile bald guy thinks so.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
What needs to be clarified in order to have any kind of meaningful discussion is what exactly is meant by video replays.

If it's having someone watch the game with replays in real time and telling the ref whether or not something was a foul or an offside or whatever, then it is indeed a no-brainer which takes barely a few seconds, whereas some people talk of a system where both teams get a limited number of challenges to the video ref with pauses in actual gametime which would imo be an idiotic system and I think I'd rather have no replays at all than have a system like that.

·
Banned
9,221 Posts
What needs to be clarified in order to have any kind of meaningful discussion is what exactly is meant by video replays.

If it's having someone watch the game with replays in real time and telling the ref whether or not something was a foul or an offside or whatever, then it is indeed a no-brainer which takes barely a few seconds, whereas some people talk of a system where both teams get a limited number of challenges to the video ref with pauses in actual gametime which would imo be an idiotic system and I think I'd rather have no replays at all than have a system like that.
A few seconds :googly:? It takes far more, you need to watch alot of incidents in slow motion several times and often in several different angles to properly judge them. It takes quite a while.

The ref also still has to act on the field immediately, so the game will be halted either way regardless if its a correct call or not. So you want some guy telling the ref several seconds later that it wasnt really an offside or a freekick when its already been whistled? Or do you want the game to continue until the video ref(s) intervene basicly leaving the real ref with nothing to do, potentially having to award a foul that happened 10-15 seconds ago because it takes time to evaluate? Now that will lead to some confusing football.

Forgot the real-time thing, that will never ever happen. There is no need to have every little freekick or offside judged on video anyways.

Its only the potential game deciding calls that needs to be 100% confirmed. Penalties, if goals are correctly offside or not, red cards etc etc.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I think its worth at least trialling - I can't believe it hasn't even been trialled anywhere in the world. I am sure, that if you took this to a vote, I am 100% convinced that the vast majority of football fans would be for this.

At the very least, they should experiment within the Coppa Italia or something to see how it can be implemented in practice.

If people are worried about too many replays, you could give each team 3 appeals in a game each (a bit like they do in Cricket). Even if it takes 20 seconds each decision, we are talking 2 minutes of additional time. When you have a controversial decision, the players end up arguing with the referee for a period of time in any case. In reality we are talking about less than 2 minutes added. I think that is a VERY small price to pay.

The appeal system is a bit of a hybrid solution that would also appeal to traditionalists as they may fear of replays occurring on every decision. I think its a good compromise.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Why would a Juve fan be in favor of video replays? That would be bad for your team. Several of your players would be sent off for diving repeatedly.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Why would a Juve fan be in favor of video replays? That would be bad for your team. Several of your players would be sent off for diving repeatedly.
Oh Christ. This is getting really annoying now. Even in a separate thread!

So I guess. 102 points last session was manufactured too and undeserved.

This forum must be populated by 10 year olds I sure suspect

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Oh Christ. This is getting really annoying now. Even in a separate thread!

So I guess. 102 points last session was manufactured too and undeserved.

This forum must be populated by 10 year olds I sure suspect
Yes the league is fixed... so what were you saying?

I'll ask more simply... why are you in favor of video playback? It's bad for your team.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
It's not bad for my team. That way when we win the league then we won't have to deal with our victories being undermined by constant suspicion and unfounded allegations

Now can we get back on the topic. Juve bashing sessions are on other threads

·
Registered
17,495 Posts
Make it like tennis, you have a number of incidents you can challenge or call for video evidence. I believe the NFL has the same system.

·
Administrator
52,118 Posts
Video replay in the sense of how they do in american sports may be impractical for the flow of football, but if its done in a way that effects the flow as little as possible, and limits the amount of times you can use it to only major decision, then its fine.

Because otherwise the ref will be totally hampered (need to trust their judgement for overall regular decisions, not everything becomes clearer just because you view it in slow motion)and not negatively effect the viewers experience too with too constant bitching to rewatch everything.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts