Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An impressive Euro 2000 showing left the doors open for him to become the best goalkeeper in the world. Unfortunatly injuries would not allow him to fulfil his potential. Oliveira brings him up to the WC roster and surprises everyone by starting him. Many began using words of hatred on Victor Baia. After the first game against the U.S.A, many were furious with Baia. My friends, do not blame the keeper, blame the Portuguese defence which never lefted their hotels that day. His next showing was magnificant, though barely no one saw it, because of Pauleta taking the spot light with 3 goals. He recorded a shut out in that game. Then against South Korea, he again had a magnicant showing, the Koreans were attacking throughout the whole game, but Baia stayed put and blocked everything. Then he let one go in between his legs and there goes the game. Without even watching what the defenders were doing it was all Baia's fault. Throughout the dawn tournament, none of the Portuguese defenders attacked the player with the ball.

Baia was good in his first WC performance and most likely his last. But he may have that good performance taken away by his defence who never took responsibility for what was their fault.

Just needed to get that off.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
That is a good point but that still doesnt give him the right to let in 2 goals.

M

·
0 Posts
Ive never rated the guy. Vs the US everyone was to blame keeper, defense, midfielders, strikers and the manager! Vs Poland and Korea great displays and i would say he might have been the best player for us the tournament but now it is time for Ricardo!

·
Registered
240 Posts
at first i'll admit, heh i was a little upset with victor baia's proformence in the usa game, but he just kept getting better...... i think the guy is actually pretty good and would love to see him do some more keeping for us

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think Vitor Baia done a great job at the World Cup he is a class keeper when he plays for both Porto and Country. The reason that Portugal lost to the US was because they a **** defence. Jorge Costa was terrible, but I think Portugal were all over the yanks in the second half they at least deserved a draw or a win. Typically portuguese badluck.:)

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
One thing I will tell you younger fella's is................ Vitor Baia .What a champ he was in the days from 92-99/00......... after that nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me . there is no use clinging to the past................the future is where it is at !!!!!!!!! Ricardo is now.................. he was robbed of the WC ( even though Baia deserved , he was not entitled ;) )National team is not about past or presemt greats , it is about current countrymen who are playing the best in the country at the moment & our best imports who are performing
PORTUGAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I see both sides of the Baia vs Ricardo dilemma. Yes Ricardo deserved it since he qualified us. But playing Baia is one decision of Oliveira's that I can understand. He had more experience at that level of play than Ricardo, and he was in form. Baia was criticized altogether too much. Yes he had a shaky game against the U.S., but probably because he couldn't believe what he was seeing. He was our only hero against Korea. The one goal that sunk us did go through his legs, but that goal was more Conceicao's fault than anyone elses. He let the Korean step right by him without doing a thing. Baia stopped to breaks in that final game by himself, and ran up to help in the last few desperate seconds. There are great 34 year old keepers and Baia carries his 32 years very youthfully. If he stays in form and barring further serious injury, there's no reason he could not do us proud at 2004.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well if Quim continues to test positive, we'll never get to use him. I also believe he can become a world class keeper, but he has to past the test to prove to the world how good he is.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quim is a drug cheat. I believe it is time for Ricardo to take over for Euro 2004 we need some more youth the team is ageing. I also still think that Baia is a great keeper.

FORCA PORTUGAL

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Baia was shocking in the WC - & the only reason why the defenders looked bad is cause the keeper pulls the strings down back . Baia was pulling something down back and it wasnt defensive strings !!!!
That game V USA - Was the worst performance by a goalkeeper since ElSalvador conceded 9 goals V Hungary 20 years ago.
V Poland- Couto was playing that deep , he made more save with his feet than Baia took with his hands and there was no offensive pressure from Poland in that one
& V Sth Korea - Most of the shots that were saved were from long range and the ones that werent went well wide. The Ref & Conceicao can take blame for the goal conceded though.

Another thing that went against Baia though was our former coach picking Jorge Costa

·
International
5,629 Posts
Baia sucks. And he sucked in the WC. Imo his appointment as starter of the NT led to our downfall. Ricardo should have played as he is 3 times the keeper Baia is. I just hope he starts at Porto. ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
RedEagle said:
Baia sucks. And he sucked in the WC. Imo his appointment as starter of the NT led to our downfall. Ricardo should have played as he is 3 times the keeper Baia is. I just hope he starts at Porto. ;)
Bingo!..Baia has always been dodgy, but he'll put in the odd good performance and everyone will forget how unreliable he is. Ever watch him when he played at Barcelona? :rolleyes:

I still think Quim is our best GK, the national team spot was his without a doubt until Oliveira decided to play 'favourites' again and gave the spot to Ricardo. Not that Ricardo is a bad keeper but Quim earned the GK posisition and didn't do anything that should have caused him to lose it (yeah, yeah, I'm talking before the drug thing, which he's clear of now)

well, whatever..

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Baia was never! I repeat! NEVER! ... a good goalie. He was athletic with good instinct and quickness... at one time.

In his younger day, he'd rely on his athletics, his knack for guessing correctly, excellent reflexes and quickness to usually recover from his own mess he'd often creat as a result for his recklessness, average positioning (at best), butter hands and piss poor clearing technique. But, as we all witnessed in this WC, his age and his multiple injuries have left him with nothing.

He's a has been, and the choice to start him in this WC might be one of Oliveira's biggest blunder in a sea of blunders.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Pila said:
Baia was never! I repeat! NEVER! ... a good goalie. He was athletic with good instinct and quickness... at one time.

In his younger day, he'd rely on his athletics, his knack for guessing correctly, excellent reflexes and quickness to usually recover from his own mess he'd often creat as a result for his recklessness, average positioning (at best), butter hands and piss poor clearing technique. But, as we all witnessed in this WC, his age and his multiple injuries have left him with nothing.

He's a has been, and the choice to start him in this WC might be one of Oliveira's biggest blunder in a sea of blunders.
Ah yes, I've been away on holiday for eight days and the madness continues on these boards :D

I agree with Pila and RedE, Baia stinks and has never been a goalkeeper but an athlete who had some skills with his hands ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts