Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Newcastle have trumped a host of Europe's biggest clubs by confirming the signing of one of the most talked about young footballers in the world, Portuguese wonderkid Hugo Viana.

Chairman Freddy Shepherd revealed the Magpies have claimed the £8.5million signature of the exciting 19-year-old midfielder tipped to follow firmly in the footsteps of the current World Footballer of the Year, Luis Figo.

Viana was on Tyneside on Thursday to tie up negotiations as the Toon moved to scupper 11th hour bids from Spanish side Celta Vigo and Premiership rivals Liverpool. Newcastle have already agreed a deal with his club, Sporting Lisbon.

Shepherd said: ""We are delighted to have secured the services of Hugo for the next five seasons. He is a very exciting attack minded player who I am sure will be a very good addition to our squad. The general consensus of opinion is that he's the best young player in the world at the moment.

"He's a left-sided midfielder, just the player Bobby Robson wants to spearhead our Champions League bid for next season. But to tell you the truth, we had a few scary moments. Sporting Lisbon had already agreed a fee with Celta Vigo and then Liverpool actually moved in yesterday.

"However, Douglas and myself were determined to get our man and we kept the Sporting people up through the night."

The mastermind of Portugal's European Under-21 Championship finals win over England last month, Viana jetted out immediately after their early exit from the tournament in Switzerland to hook up with the senior squad at the World Cup.

He played only a peripheral role in the Far East and spent the whole of the finals on the sidelines, but he seems destined to achieve full honours in the near future, with many tipping him to take over the mantle of Figo, his country's talismanic skipper.

Newcastle manager Bobby Robson, who has strong connections with the Portuguese game after managing both Sporting and Porto, will lead his side into the first leg of their Champions League qualifier on August 14, three days before the start of the new Premiership season.

He will now do so with Viana in his armoury, though the youngster will no doubt be joined by a number of other new faces in the Toon squad, with Robson once again linked with moves for Blackburn Rovers midfielder David Dunn.

This sounds interesting and I wonder why GH wanted to buy another left midfielder? WE NEED A RIGHT WINGER!:fero:

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Yeh I'm pleased with that ... that kinda makes up for you getting Hamann from us a few seasons ago (although we pushed him all the way) ;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Unless ofcourse another premiership team waits for two years until he's 21 and then buys him off you when Robson leaves.

;-)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Why couldn't these other clubs get him this time then?? :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts