Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
46,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time there are over 30 players the most common comment is: he is too old to play in the Italian NT. Well, watching serie A every week my opinion is that our two best midfielders right now are Eugenio Corini (1970) and Gigi Di Biagio (1971). Gigi Di Biagio often plays as center back, but just for one reason: the defense of Brescia is poor and the experience of Gigi is precious there. Why shouldn't they be given a chance if they are still the best?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
And I thought I was the only one who rates Di Biagio! Pagliuca also deserves a call-up, maybe even Zola..

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Use some "old guys" as backup defenders too. I'd rather see Bertotto or Costacurta (40 next year!) or even an out-of-position Di Biagia in for Nesta and Cannavaro than Materazzi or Ferrari. You can't build a team around them, but right now, they're a better quick fix than some younger but mediocre players.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't know about some of them but Pagliuca, Costacurta and maybe Zola deserves call ups. Especially "Billy" instead of Materazzi. I'd pick Costacurta over Materazzi anytime!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I think these names are doing really excellent these days in Serie A, but eventually we should find replacements for key players whom are 29-34 years today: Cannavaro, Vieri, delpiero, etc.. So we have to go to the younger age groups, so that when u put somebody in his new Key role he would be adequately experienced & ready for it!!
If u don't get my point, an example is Zambrotta.. I've known gianluca since he started with Bari, than he was given a new role in defence, & when Captain maldini quitted the NT he was ready !!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
My point is its good to believe in Youngsters!!
However, the NT is for the best in italy, there are teams for U21 & U19.., but for me the old player should really excel in order to get the call up, just as R.Baggio was called for WC98, & deserved to get called also for 2002!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I agree to bring in some vetran's if the Italian NT team is in a crisis with injurie's. But let's be realistic the Italian NT has such a deep selection of world class player's to choose from. Beside's Maldini there's really no room for any other vetran's. Some one give me some examples of who you would leave out to bring a player like Zola or corini in. In Zola's case you would have to drop either Cassano or Miccoli. And that's unrealistic. That's like Brasil bringing back Romario. I can see a NT that is not as strong as Italy and doesn't have as deep a pool of world class player's, bringing back vetran's but not Italy.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Jimmy we are thin in defence and as far as I know Costacurta is a much better defender at the age of 39 then Materazzi is right now or ever has been or will be. He can still perform at the highest level as well.

·
Registered
287 Posts
A year or two ago I would agree with you. But Billy really hasn't got much playing time this year. Especially with the arrival of Stam. And a 39 year old sitting on the bench can get old really fast. Yes the NT defence is a little thin on backup's. But not thin enough to bring back Costacurta. There are other defender's who are having very good seasons. Like Barzgali or Falcone. I would even choose Ferrari before Billy even though he's having a disapointing season.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Okay but Billy proves when ever he is on the pitch that he is very very good definately better than Materazzi, and Ferrari. I am not really sure where Barzagli stands in comparison to Costacurta though I believe Costacurta is playing better than him as well.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
But the whole point of Lippi is to bring new blood into the team, not give the old timers another go of it.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I think it is actually unfair to drop Zola because of his age. Lippi claims that he will only pick players based on their form.. so technically if he keeps to his promise there is no way Zola can be ignored.

I agree with the choice on Corini. He deserves at least a squad place.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I agree Belly can perform more than Materazzi, he was born a great defender, Materazzi shouldn't receive any calls to the NT i think!!
But costacurta cannot be the substitute, he's 39, & age matters !!! Probably if he didn't retire next season he wouldn't be able to play 15min per game, anyway there must be new blood in the back line.. Our problem is going to be in defence, & if im true, i'm afraid its gonna be a disaster!!

I hope there are new Nesta & Cannavaro under construction somewhere in Italy, & i hope N&C can play more & more with there level at the current time, because the reality is that there is no replacement fot these 2!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Who do you drop for Zola? Miccoli, Cassano or Totti. If one of them are injured then it's a different story. But to drop one of them for Zola would be crazy!! But then if one of them get injured you still have player's like Francesco Flachi who's having a great year.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
HB21 said:
I hope there are new Nesta & Cannavaro under construction somewhere in Italy, & i hope N&C can play more & more with there level at the current time, because the reality is that there is no replacement fot these 2!!
I hope we have a budding Nesta somewhere in Italy, because I'm not that impressed with anyone currently on show. :( The ideal would be to find great young defenders and integrate them slowly into the team, like HB21 mentioned was done with Zambrotta -- come to Milan, Gianluca! -- but so far, we haven't found anything close. If that's still the case for WC 2006, then I'd be willing to opt for a quick fix.

The reason I'm pessimistic is that defenders like Nesta and Maldini were recognized as potential greats very early on and started their Serie A careers when they were teenagers. They gained international experience early too. I just don't see anyone of that caliber around in defense. :(

I think that, particularly in defense, it's not a good idea to experiment with someone who can't take the pressure. Experience matters. It's a bit different with forwards, who can be picked on current form.

·
Registered
46,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ruffian said:
The reason I'm pessimistic is that defenders like Nesta and Maldini were recognized as potential greats very early on and started their Serie A careers when they were teenagers.
I agree :thumbsup: and I posted something similar two minutes ago in the thread about our International Youth Teams.

I think that we should not overrate our successes with the under 21 NT and, back to thread, I think that we should not replace the players who are 30 years old with younger players just cause the under 21 NT always wins.Even not considering the experience (but the experience is fundamental in tournaments like a world cup!), the 30 years old players are not dead! Sometimes they even have a better fitness of the youngsters. A player can be at his 100% till 35-36 even more if he regularly trains and had no heavy injuries during his carreer.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
I think it is true, but at the same time how many defenders U21 get to start in Serie A? Masiello of Juve for example is supposedly a wonderful defender and star in the making but I doubt his Juve Serie A debut will come any time soon. It is very hard for young players to make it now with the increasing size of squads in every team.

Anyway as for that I agree that Corini should be called to the squad and Maldini and Pagliuca would also get into my current Italy 23, but obviously they will not be there and so I dont even mention them. As I said though, Corini is the best mid in Italy IMO at the moment and shouldnt have moved to Serie B in 03-04, otherwise he would have been at Euro 04 :(

Costacurta is not better than Materazzi also. BTW, both Juve and Milan will eventually need to buy new defenders as the ones they have are quite old and this is where maybe we can see some upcoming Italian defenders (if they choose to buy an Italian, because maybe there is just no more good Italian defenders...)

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
Corini, an Italian central midfielder who can pass the ball well and help control the game, and God knows there aren't many of them.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
corini

one of the greatest mysterys of italian football

i dont think we have ever had a better passer of the ball since..well god knows when...his passing is sublime..so are his corners
hes pure class..and yet!!we have had a team who for years havent had a world class distributer in the center of the park

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Corini, He didn't get called up before?? Anyway he is class I agree and should of got his chance a while back. He isn't getting any younger and should of really been in the squad for the 2002 WC.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts