Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps it is the flu bug. Or the heavy medication. Either way, it is a strange sensation when you find your cynical journalist’s heart thawing at the sight of Chelsea racing to victory.

That may sound an admission of a previous anti-Chelsea bias, confirming all the suspicions of the press office, but all we ever wanted was the club to employ a little charm on their way to global domination. There is every sign of that being the case under the management of Luiz Felipe Scolari.

Think of Chelsea over the past five years and, as much as trophies, your mind turns to rucks, plots, money and Peter Kenyon. All that abrasiveness came flooding back last night in the reappearance on our television screens of José Mourinho. “I’m not going to change — why would I?” he told BBC’s Inside Sport from his new home at Inter Milan. “If I came here as a ‘John Nobody’ with nothing in his pocket, then I would have to adapt, I would have to try and do something. But I am not a John Nobody.” Good to see he has not lost any of his humility.

Mourinho is an exceptional manager and one day it may be fun to have him back playing with fire in the Premier League, but the idea that we should miss him has been eroded since Scolari was appointed in the summer and it was surely banished as his Chelsea team took apart Aston Villa at the weekend.

Using the same system as Mourinho — 4-3-3 — and mostly the very same players, Scolari has Chelsea knocking the ball around like Arsenal. Or, given the manager’s background, we should probably say like Brazil. Ashley Cole has rediscovered the form that elevated him among the best left backs on the planet a few years ago now that he no longer has to regard the halfway line as an electric fence. And while the wingers are still required to work back, they do not expect a haranguing if they gamble and are caught upfield. Small adjustments, perhaps, but symptomatic of a wider transformation.

We wait to see if this liberation will secure trophies, and Mourinho was never slow in putting his medals on the table. But Scolari’s record is impressive enough to suggest that he is not just opening up the team for the fun of it or to please Roman Abramovich, the club’s owner.

It is a stop-start process, with a functional performance in the Champions League only a few days earlier — drawing 0-0 away to CFR Cluj — but that is to be expected. Scolari’s big signing, Deco, has been injured and, of Sunday’s team, only José Bosingwa and Nicolas Anelka (a stand-in for Didier Drogba) did not work under Mourinho. The manager will make further adjustments. What is clear is his intent.

At a club who still aspire to break even, or so they say, and yet remain a long way from doing so, winning new friends, as well as matches, does matter. And good press, or at the very least a lack of hostile coverage, is flowing their way.

If that makes a change, there has never been an agenda, simply exasperation at the way the club have been run from the initial phase when Chelsea signed players like children collecting football stickers, to the years under Mourinho when, at times, the rules were for everyone else.

Mourinho served his purpose in making Chelsea a force to be reckoned with, but he also left Abramovich wondering how you can spend more than £500 million and still lack flair.

We also had Kenyon, the chief executive, pronouncing a target of winning the Champions League twice inside ten years, forgetting that such a feat has proved beyond Barcelona. It was the sort of highly presumptuous talk that made Chelsea seem less a sporting project, built on hopes and dreams, than the ultimate exercise to discover how quickly you can buy success.

Perhaps it is another healthy sign that at the Leaders in Football conference, which starts today at Stamford Bridge, representing the club is not Kenyon but the eminently sensible Bruce Buck, the chairman, and Frank Arnesen, the sporting director, neither of whom is likely to talk about “painting the world blue”.

Maybe Kenyon has decided to keep a lower profile since, to universal cringing, he led the players up to collect their medals at the Champions League final in May. We wish.

Abramovich’s riches will define Chelsea for many more years, but under new management they do seem to have cast off the sense of entitlement. Scolari is intent on providing some swagger, but only on the pitch.

Events will intrude and the Brazilian is not a man to hold back under fire. Perhaps it is only a matter of days or weeks before John Terry is haranguing an official. A visit from Liverpool looms, which, given Chelsea’s injuries, may put them under pressure.

Perhaps Chelsea will fray at the edges, as all the great competitors can. Controversy may be round the next corner, but when a club start to offer thrilling, joyous football, you can forgive them just about anything.

From The Times

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I share the same thoughts. We liked winning, but can we win with this 'style'.

IMO we may be less consistent, but more spectacular. Winning the important games, at the right time is what will make the difference along with not dropping points on draws.

·
THE
14,225 Posts
Bloody The Times. I need dictionary. Eminently sensible? Haranguing?

I can't quite see why this article was written. To hassle JM again? As far as I see, the team developes as it should, and it probably would also with JM. It's like delicate dish, flavours mingle slowely together but/and with different spices you can make a difference.

I sound like "omlettes" (witch I love)

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
The media are making fools of themselves.

First season with JM we where doing the buisness with Robben and Duff(as well as a camio from Cole) down the flanks. Playing as good as we are doing right now.

Second season Duff dissapeared in some clinic or hospital(never to regain his previous form) along with Robben(who still provided alot comming in even right after an injury); while Drogba came into play providing alot of assists to whoever was next to him. We still played pretty well.

Then in the third season as JM and Roman's relations went into deciline our game suffered with Drogba stepping up.

Scolari now has the backing of Roman, pretty much the same team as Grant left him-with a really fantastic right back bought(finally solving our only real problem in the last 5 years) and Deco(a different kind of midfielder we hadnt possessed yet). We still have serious injury problems; but with Roman's backing Big Phil can be confident that if the injury crisis continues we will have options in the winter.

This is a totally different situation then the last 2 seasons of Jose; but I guess the media can turn a blind eye to this. Honestly I don't give a sh*t if we are disliked or hatted; I don't mind ugly games because they justify the results(except Liverpool). And it's best not to be stereo typed as one type of club with one type of game.
The media were always talking about long balls; while pundits where talking about deflactions, diving and other b/s but that was all a hyperbole as most of us know. Sure we wherent pretty in the last few seasons but even under Grant players still had the mentality of winners-and winners are rarelly loved. The public wants to build them up and then at the first opportunity bring them down as hard as they can.

Honestly this rant probably didnt make much sense but w/e

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The media are making fools of themselves.

First season with JM we where doing the buisness with Robben and Duff(as well as a camio from Cole) down the flanks. Playing as good as we are doing right now.

Second season Duff dissapeared in some clinic or hospital(never to regain his previous form) along with Robben(who still provided alot comming in even right after an injury); while Drogba came into play providing alot of assists to whoever was next to him. We still played pretty well.

Then in the third season as JM and Roman's relations went into deciline our game suffered with Drogba stepping up.

Scolari now has the backing of Roman, pretty much the same team as Grant left him-with a really fantastic right back bought(finally solving our only real problem in the last 5 years) and Deco(a different kind of midfielder we hadnt possessed yet). We still have serious injury problems; but with Roman's backing Big Phil can be confident that if the injury crisis continues we will have options in the winter.

This is a totally different situation then the last 2 seasons of Jose; but I guess the media can turn a blind eye to this. Honestly I don't give a sh*t if we are disliked or hatted; I don't mind ugly games because they justify the results(except Liverpool). And it's best not to be stereo typed as one type of club with one type of game.
The media were always talking about long balls; while pundits where talking about deflactions, diving and other b/s but that was all a hyperbole as most of us know. Sure we wherent pretty in the last few seasons but even under Grant players still had the mentality of winners-and winners are rarelly loved. The public wants to build them up and then at the first opportunity bring them down as hard as they can.

Honestly this rant probably didnt make much sense but w/e
:thumbsup: Totally agree with you

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
hehe anyone remember that first season with JM we won the league with highest amount of points, and highest amount of goals scored and conceded than ever before. anyone remember dat streak of 4-0, 4-1 wins we had. hell they were sayin we play the long ball to much when it was proven on a survey dat we werent even the top 3 teams that use the long ball (team using it most was liverpool)

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
hehe anyone remember that first season with JM we won the league with highest amount of points, and highest amount of goals scored and conceded than ever before. anyone remember dat streak of 4-0, 4-1 wins we had. hell they were sayin we play the long ball to much when it was proven on a survey dat we werent even the top 3 teams that use the long ball (team using it most was liverpool)
It's as clear as if it happened today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts