Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've mentioned before that Verona is on a 12 game unbeaten streak. During that time Verona has beaten Parma (4 - 3) and Lazio (1 - 0) at home and drawn with AC Milan (3 - 3) away. What is Verona doing differently in the second half of the season that has turned it into a "giant killer"?

I would particularly like to hear from any fans of Lazio, Parma, or AC Milan who happen to be passing through this forum. What happened in your last game against Verona?

Serious replies only, please.

Thanks.

Zen9

[This message has been edited by Zen9 (edited 27-04-2000).]

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Verona's recover is based on two key transfers they made.They bought Luigi Appoloni from Parma and Domenico Morfeo from Cagliari/Fiorentina (co-owned).Morfeo has been the leader of the team and his goals have been curcial,moreover his assists gave Cammarata (a good finisher) a reason of existing in the starting 11.Appoloni has become a commanding figure in Verona's defence and his huge expreience has been more than useful along with the capatain's boosting from behind.That way,Claudio Prandelli (the manager) has managed to create a solid defence with 4 very talented but devastating unexperienced guys like Frey (gk),Falsini,Diana and Laursen.Apooloni has tide things up back there,and for that cost Prandelli had to sacrifice Luca Mezzano who was sold to Brescia,a player very talented but also very eratic to start at a seria A team.Moreover,some of the best Verona players have finally found their form and play up to their capabilities.Wingers Brocchi (Parma bound :)) and Melis,forward Cammarata and goalkeeper Frey...The biggest problem of the team is their central midfield,formed by Marasco,an experienced anchor and captain of the team along with midfielders Italiano or Colucci,who are clearly seria B material.That sometimes forces Prandelli to move Morfeo at the midfield and make way for Martin Adailton,a brazilian forward with talent but a cancer for the team because of his selfishness...

They will probably field like this:

___________Frey____________
_____Appoloni__Laursen______
Diana_________________Falsini
_________Marasco___________
Brocchi____Italiano_______Melis
______Morfeo_______________
___________Cammarata______

Defender Franceschetti,midfielders Colucci and Zilic and Seric and foreard Adailton may force their way into the line up...

Run down on their players:

(Sebastian Frey.The french gk is maybe the best shot stopper in Seria A at the moment,huge talent,but extremelly unexperienced and young.He may stop everytrhing but allow anything as well

Aimo Diana hold the right full back position,talented offencive back who like to go forward and cross.U-21 regular.Talented but unexpreinced...

Gianluca Falsetti,on loan for Parma occupies succesfully the left back spot.Big and fast likes to take on opponents and has a tacklin ability second to none.

Martin Laursen is a big danish central defender.Benched at the begginging of the season has fought his way intol the line up and his commaninding perfromances have attrached interest from many big clubs.Likely to go in the summer made his first game from Denmark recenlty.

Luigi Appoloni,need I say more? the name is enough for the former Parma and italy veteran.Central defender who leads Verona's defence.

Daniele Brocchi is the right winger of Verona.Fast with a mean shot and brilliant cross,is rumored to be heading at Parma in the summer.

Martino Melis,on loan from Parma,is the starting left winger of Verona.A good player but nothing special.

(the most weird thing is that often,even during the games,Melis and Brocchi exchange sides!)

Antonio Marasco,is an exprerinced anchor and the older player of Verona.

Vicenzo Italiano and Leonardo Colucci will fight for the cnetral midfield spot.Both of them Seria B material.Sometimes Prandelli gives the spot to Anthony Seric,a talented croatian midfielder who is on loan from Parma and is naturally a left winger.

Domenico Morfeo is the play-maker and the best player of the team.Good pass,great dribble and thunderous long range shots along with a talent at taking free-kicks and corners make him a very dangerous player.Shut him down and you have shut down Verona.

Fabrizio Cammarata is a big strong forward.He is a good finisher and scores often but that all he has to show.

Claudio Prandelli,the manager is one of the most up and coming managers in Seria A,a pure genius who likes to change things during the game and doesnt hesitate to make early subs and putting players out of their natural position to make it.

General description of Verona: a team with a lot of talent,but very unexprienced...they will fight to death every game and if they fall,they wil lfal bravely.

Players to keep an eye on: Martin Laursen,Domenico Morfeo,Sebastain Frey

Phew! long post...serius enough for you Zen?

------------------
The sun will rise again...and it will be...GIALLOBLU!

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amoroso,

Many thanks.

If you have any energy in your fingers after that long and excellent post, one question: who for Juventus do you think will get the assignment to mark Morfeo?

Again, MANY thanks.

Zen9

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Since Morfeo is not playing at a deep forward role (he is something like Del Piero,but he can score :)) I guess Tacchinardi will mostly be after him...but Juventus plays a zonal marking system,not man to man and that means Morfeo wont have a spesific marker on him.But moslty Tacchinardi.

------------------

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amoroso,

Thanks again. I am in awe of your immense knowledge of the game.

I will certainly follow Sunday's game with a lot more understanding.

Zen9

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Its not my knowledge...I just happened to see Verona play 9 or 10 times this season...against every big team (twice against Inter) but Parma :(

------------------

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Zen9 and Amoroso don't you know that morfeo
is injured and hasn't played for 3 matches
he i still injured against Juve i think, on Italian Soccer in the Ijured and banned section they say that last week he had a recovery time of 2 weeks, also Zilic is defenatly out.

So the lineup of Amoroso will stay the same apart from that Italiano will take the Morfeo spott and that Colucci will take the place of Italiano.
Otherwise Salvetti will be pushing for a place.
For more information look on the topic'the game against Verona'

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Willem Sterk,

Many thanks for the update. I appreciate it. The cumulative knowledge of the people on this board is outstanding.

Zen9

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
ok Zen9 thank you for the compliment, but the main reason why i know so much is that i spend way to much time on football and internet, but well so we can add something to this message board

1 - 9 of 9 Posts