Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Argentine midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron has walked out on Manchester United, according to a newspaper report.
The Sunday Mirror claimed that Veron was involved in a row with team-mates after United's Champions League exit on Tuesday and has since flown to Rome with his family.

"He was prepared to stay at United but this bust-up is the final straw and he will not be coming back," the newspaper quoted a close friend of Veron as saying.

"Sebastian is fed up of being blamed for everything and he is extremely angry at the treatment he has received at the hands of some United players.

"He has made it clear to the club that it would be best for all concerned if they can agree a fee with Lazio and secure his return to Rome."

The row, which began in the United dressing room and continued at the airport, reportedly saw senior players accuse Veron of costing the team with his indifferent displays.

Lazio president Sergio Cragnotti is still keen to bring the midfielder back to the Serie A club.

Veron, who joined United from Lazio for a British record £28m last July, has been repeatedly linked with a return to Rome, where he still has a house.

But the Old Trafford club have always denied the speculation.

Although Veron helped United reach the Champions League semi-finals, he has not always lived up to his reputation as one of the world's most talented midfielders.

But despite some inconsistent performances for the English champions, United boss Alex Ferguson has consistently defended the Argentine against the critics.

Veron said last month that he was happy at Manchester United and that only Lazio could ever tempt him back to play in Italian football.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
good rinse IMO. lets just hope we can make a profit. he's a good player but his style of play couldn't be more different to united's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
evne though veron hasnt been performing at his highest standard ,still it wasnt his fault that we got knocked out, but it was the defences fault, so if was fergie i wouldnt accept this tolerance of players blaming some1 else(unless it was keane )so instead of selling veron to setle the arguement i would sell the player who made the arguement as arguements like that would unsettle the team

·
Registered
579 Posts
I suspect Keane was active participant in any, if it happened at all, bashing of Seba's CL performances.

We've talked about the issue of whether Seba is at fault so many times that there's no need to continue it now. But, this is very different from fans mouthing out about his virtues or faults. If this happened at all, which wouldn't surprise me, it creates unrest in the Man United dressing room. Man United is a team unique in reports that the team really gets along very well. So this could introduce a problem that Fergie as keeper may be forced to deal with.

If Veron does not have the respect of his teammates or if they think he is in particular, but not soley, responsible for their dismal showing in not only the CL but also the PL, that could make for an awkward next season.

Veron was loved at Lazio, this is the reception that he's gotten used to. As a man, he may find it hard to commit himself to an organization where for a number of reasons he is already an outsider but then finds his work criticized. Why should he bother if he can just go back to Rome where everything will be perfect?

He'll probably win a World Cup medal this summer. He has already won a scudetto and has played in one of the best leagues in the World. He doesn't need Man United. But with no silverware this year in spite of record summer transfers (and the best United team on paper in years) maybe Man United don't need him either.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, United have rubbished this story, saying that Seba was training in Manchester today alongside the others.

The Veron saga is almost as lengthy and ridiculous as the Vieira one.

I wonder how much is coming from Cragnotti and how much is actually from Seba himself...?

What I would say though is that if he did stay, I can see him performing a lot better next season. It always takes foreign players a while to adapt, some longer than others.

Just look at Bergkamp and Pires. In their first seasons with us they were average at best, I remember Bergkamp getting stick from one of the tabloids because he didnt score in a Coca-Cola Cup game against Hartlepool when the opposition keeper had been sent off...

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
I am a great fan of Veron and I would have loved to have seen him play upto his potential next season, for Man U. I know he is one of the best midfielders in the world and he just needs some time to settle down at Man U. I know that if he stays at Man U next season, he will win the supporters as well as the players respect. However, if this news is true then maybe its better that he goes back to Lazio. If it is not true then I will be waiting anxiously to see him show his magic to the Man U fans.....

·
International
9,526 Posts
GarethUK said:
What I would say though is that if he did stay, I can see him performing a lot better next season. It always takes foreign players a while to adapt, some longer than others.

When foreign players first started coming into the league, English football was in a state of flux. We'd obviously fallen behind Europe at Club level, and I guess we went through a stage where we thought any player from Serie A was bound to be a quality individual if they were given time. In many cases, this wasn't the case, but they were still given a pretty fair go, initially. However, over the last 4 seasons or so, expectations have become a lot higher, as the Premier league has caught up and surpassed the Serie A, and players like Veron aren't given as much leeway as in the past. Big repuations count for nothing if the player can't bring the goods these days.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, but now that the EPL has surpassed Serie A in terms of playing level, (This happened at least 2 years ago in my opinion) any player who joins from Italy is definitely going to need time to adapt to the higher level at which he finds himself playing.

...am I defending JSV in a United forum? :confused: :)

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
...am I defending JSV in a United forum?
:D

When a player moves from one league to another,its never easy to adapt.Not only does he have to get to know his new team-mates and club settings but also his family has to settle down as well.The Premiership and Serie A is pretty different in both style and technique.While more importance is given to tactics and formations,EPL is all about fast paced attacks and counter attacks.

On many cases Veron was caught out spending too much time on the ball.While in Italy he could have gotten away with it,here in England a tough tackling midfielder was never far away to lunge in and take the ball away from him.I do belive that he will learn from his mistakes this season,work on his game,and come out as a better player in the next.His mind is also on Korea/Japan and that could have been a distraction as well.

However like Freddie pointed out,when you come with such a price-tag on your shoulder and the reputation that Veron has,its normal that people expects the goods from you.Veron has failed to produce these goods in the big occassions and thats why perhaps a lot of the United faithfuls feel let down.He has definitely not justified his huge reputation nor the price-tag with his performances this season.

With so many rumours flying around its difficult to understand which one to believe and not.:rollani:I personally feel Fergie will keep faith on Seba and after a good WC,the Argentinian will come back and prove his worth for United as well.:)

·
Registered
202 Posts
For Gods sake, dont do it! Stay. Pleeeze!!!:D

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Sunday, May 5, 2002
United deny Veron 'walk out' report

Manchester United today dismissed claims £28million midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron was involved in a bust-up with his team-mates in the wake of their Champions League exit on Tuesday.
United could only draw 1-1 against Bayer Leverkusen and crashed out of the competition at the semi-final stage, robbing manager Sir Alex Ferguson of a Hampden Park final.

And reports today claimed there had been a row between Veron and five of his United colleagues, with allegations the 27-year-old was criticised for his slack displays.

However, United director of communications Paddy Harverson said: 'These stories are rubbish. There was no row between the players after the game on Tuesday night and they're all in training today.'

A report in the Sunday Mirror newspaper said the Argentina midfielder flew to Rome with his family following United's elimination from the Champions League by Bayer Leverkusen on Tuesday.

The report said Veron was involved in a row with some of his team mates after United's semi-final exit.

Veron, who has been repeatedly linked with a return to Lazio, has taken the brunt of the criticism for United's failure in Europe and their disappointing Premiership form.

United expect Veron to be in the squad to face league leaders Arsenal at Old Trafford on Wednesday, a match they have to win to keep alive their slim hopes of winning an unprecedented fourth straight title.

soccernet

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
its so unfair, that i cannot believe that its true.
but...
if its true, veron should leave. he has not been performing great, but he is not the only one to blame.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Quite frankly Veron should pack his bags and leave.

This bust up thing is not true BUT it's a disgrace to see him criticised so often in every game he plays which Manchester united lose. If the whole team plays crap, he gets the blame. It's unfair treatment.

It's true that he was loved at Lazio and he had alot of respect from the fans, at United he has no respect. Why does put up with it?

He has played pretty crappy this season, he must learn to adapt better. First thing he could pass the ball quicker, secondly not try to defend since he can't tackle well.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Russell said:
secondly not try to defend since he can't tackle well.
Say this to fergusson. the stupid who plays veron as a defensive midf is him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts