Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great to see one of my favourite players getting his form back....Veron has been the most consistent Inter midfielder since he came back from injury some months ago, and is now playing the best football since he left Lazio....he should get his place back in the NT IMO, he would make a awesome duo with Mascherano.

What do you think? Why did he have a bad time in England? Is this good football just a moment??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,318 Posts
He couldn't find the time on the ball he needed to play his game in England.

Great player, if he gets back into the NT he's earned it on merit.
 

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
Joined
·
45,797 Posts
Yeah, Riquelme will get the job done , hahha

Yeah right.

Think again.

Now,
sorry to go off-topic,

but i fully agree

Veron is CLASS

I underestimated his arrival but now I realize we have the real thing. He's a real gem. And the great thing about it is that we agreed on a fee for Veron at the end of the season when he was undervalued. Great deal, it will become permanent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, Veron shouldn't be called again because he had a bad first half against England....sure, sure.

And don't compare him to Riquelme, they play in different positions....Veron is a second DM, not a offensive playmaker like Riquelme.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
625 Posts
Yeah, Veron is back. I agree.

He is the most important player in Inter, not Adriano. Inter never lack world class strikers, say Vieri, Adriano etc. In recent years, Inter lost to MILAN due to their weak midfield. But now they have improve a lot. Veron obviously plays biggest role in the change (bar the coach Mancini).

He controls the tempo, builds up play. He has great passing and a powerful long distance shot. This INTER midfield is the best in recent years.

I reckon MILAN will have to nullify him to get advantage in midfield. The battle in midfield will be tough. Cambiasso is also doing great. stankovic now is the weakest link in their midfielder because he is misplaced at left flank. Killy and Van der Mayde are just average players, no big threat.

I have faith in MILAN. we have better goalie, better defense, and still our midfield is better ( not by a big margin though). Sheva will be back. I see we will eliminate INTER.

FORZA MILAN!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
Veron didn't shine so much in England because he is a playermaker that wasn't allowed to be the playermaker. When a player is different then sometimes they should be treated different otherwise you will not get best out of them. Veron shined when guys like Scholes or Beckham or Keane were out(injuries/suspensions etc) and someone like Butt was there, Why? because he became the maker in the midfield, the man. If he is just treated like someone else he becomes a liablity.

This is what I saw anyway and I wondered what Ferguson was thinking when he bought him for so much money when he already had too many ego's and ballplayers in midfield. Obviously that turned out to be a wrong decision but I don't belive its because he isn't suited to the EPL like most people said. Really he could of shined at Man Utd and England if he was the main man in the midfield but he wasn't given that role like I said. So it was Man Utd rather than England.

But I don't expect people to look that deep so lets just say he was not EPL quality lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Faisal said:
Veron didn't shine so much in England because he is a playermaker that wasn't allowed to be the playermaker. When a player is different then sometimes they should be treated different otherwise you will not get best out of them. Veron shined when guys like Scholes or Beckham or Keane were out(injuries/suspensions etc) and someone like Butt was there, Why? because he became the maker in the midfield, the man. If he is just treated like someone else he becomes a liablity..
I completely disagree, Faisal. Veron had his best days in Lazio playing with other stars in the midfield, like Nedved, Simeone and Conceição in their prime. I see exactly where you want to get with this "treated like someone else" thing. :rollani:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
625 Posts
Roberto Gallo said:
I completely disagree, Faisal. Veron had his best days in Lazio playing with other stars in the midfield, like Nedved, Simeone and Conceição in their prime. I see exactly where you want to get with this "treated like someone else" thing. :rollani:
Veron was the man, the brain, in midfield in Lazio, just like in Inter now.
But in ManUtd, he was not. He wasn't given the role.
 

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
Joined
·
45,797 Posts
I have to agree with Faisal, it was diff in Man Utd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
I watched Veron at Lazio too and belive me he had the ball way more than he did at Man Utd.

He was the man at Lazio, Guys like Nedved Simeone etc were looking for him first when they were in trouble.

Now if you see in Manchester Neville looked for Beckham or Scholes or Keane Giggs etc the british guys that knew each other since they were boys and Veron ofcourse got some of the ball but these guys had more respect. This is why he didn't shine at Man Utd.


If at another top club with good players that looked for him more he would of shined. Veron never really fitted in at Man Utd like he did at Lazio were he was the playermaker, Alot of the time at Man Utd he was just a midfielder and less a playermaker, I hope you see what Im trying to say.
 

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
Joined
·
45,797 Posts
I agree completely. In England he was not a playmaker, his natural position. I don't see Roberto, why you disagree..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,318 Posts
Veron was given plenty of chances to 'do it' at Man Utd. Ferguson didn't buy him for any other reason but to play those killer balls.

The simple reason we never saw the best of him in the premiership is that he never got the time on the ball he needed. It was a different story in the Champions League, when he got the time... he was great.

So he didn't suit the team/league at the time, that's fine, doesn't mean he's a bad player.

I'm glad he's playing well again, he's a joy to watch on form.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
Even if England wasn't his most favoured style of football he could of done much better in the EPL. It was more Man Utd than EPL for me. EPL doesn't have many players like Veron but it doesn't mean he couldn't of been someone that fitted into a team where he was the playermaking midfielder and at Man Utd I remember games in the CL where say Keane was out or Scholes and he played with Butt and shined. Or even when he manage to pull something out of the hat when he wasn't being used right league or CL. It was obvious that he need a whole season as a proper playermaker if you wanted to judge him properly. Because he had ALOT of chances because of his pricetag doesn't mean he was in his role as playermaker in all these chances, Most the time he was just a midfielder that was asked to do his things when he didn't more possesion than Roy Keane for example. But even then when he looked lost he made some very good assists but he could of been more like I said.

At Man Utd they gave him the chances and it wasn't a matter of minutes as he had many minutes, It was about chances as a playermaker. If they bought him as a known playermaker then why wasn't he treated like one more often? Even if he isn't treated like a playermaker he has the talent to have those moments but players like him are made to be the playermaker like he was at Lazio and now at Inter.

This was my theory, Now if he did play his time at Man Utd as a playermaker like he was at Lazio then you would have a point. But since its shown that he was treated differently in those 2 years at Man Utd then you can't really dispute it because who knows how Veron would do in a Man Utd who's midfield play was run by him. Still I think it was a stupid buy by Fergy and more a luxury buy than something that was needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,482 Posts
I don't think it's as clear cut as 'not having the time on the ball', I think thats the easy option to take. It had something to do with the style of football played in england, but a lot of it was simply down to Veron himself. Veron is the type of player who loves to get on the ball a lot lying deep, do lots of short passing between 3-4 players then suddenly launch a defense splitting pass. He was allowed to do this in Italy because that was the way teams played.
Man U tended to play at a higher tempo with less deep midfield play than he was used to and he simply didn't settle into a game as well


But despite this, he would still play well in some tight games. Simply because he's always been an inconsistent player. Even at Lazio where arguably he had his best season, he would still have stinkers. It's something he's had through all his career, and it's just something you have to accept with him. He'll have a good patch, like now for instance. But i guarantee he'll have a bad patch before the seasons over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,318 Posts
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree i'm afraid.

He couldn't do it in the permiership with United, he could do it in the Champions league however.

He was always used with the intention of being a play maker, he's nothing else, he certainly can't tackle!

Why could he 'do it' in the Champions League? Time on the ball.

You can't appreciate how fast Veron had to think AND play his killer passes in premiership games unless you watch a big prem game from the sideline (or close to it).

As a player he's quite slow, his brain is much faster than his legs... that was his problem. In Italy he gets the space & time he needs to work his magic, that's all it comes down to.

If you don't agree, that's fine. We could argue this point all day but it won't change anything!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
He scores one goal big deal. He's still crap :dontcare:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
Mutu_20 said:
I don't think it's as clear cut as 'not having the time on the ball', I think thats the easy option to take. It had something to do with the style of football played in england, but a lot of it was simply down to Veron himself. Veron is the type of player who loves to get on the ball a lot lying deep, do lots of short passing between 3-4 players then suddenly launch a defense splitting pass. He was allowed to do this in Italy because that was the way teams played.
Man U tended to play at a higher tempo with less deep midfield play than he was used to and he simply didn't settle into a game as well


But despite this, he would still play well in some tight games. Simply because he's always been an inconsistent player. Even at Lazio where arguably he had his best season, he would still have stinkers. It's something he's had through all his career, and it's just something you have to accept with him. He'll have a good patch, like now for instance. But i guarantee he'll have a bad patch before the seasons over.

I agree with you on that, EPL wasn't his best league and the SerieA and LaLiga would suit him more but even then for a player whos only really on the pitch to be on the ball he would of been more value for money if he actully was given the role to do that more.

And your right about Veron being hot and cold even in Lazio, and even more cold if he has less rights on the ball thats what makes it a even more stupid buy from Fergy. Veron is pure class though and a pleasure to watch when he is in his game, And he is usually more on his game when he is a proper playermaker though IMO(Lazio/Inter) and ofcourse Im not putting all his EPL spell down to that but in the same way people can't put it all down to the EPL factor alone. There were different factors to take into consideration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,482 Posts
Simba said:
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree i'm afraid.

He couldn't do it in the permiership with United, he could do it in the Champions league however.

He was always used with the intention of being a play maker, he's nothing else, he certainly can't tackle!

Why could he 'do it' in the Champions League? Time on the ball.

You can't appreciate how fast Veron had to think AND play his killer passes in premiership games unless you watch a big prem game from the sideline (or close to it).

As a player he's quite slow, his brain is much faster than his legs... that was his problem. In Italy he gets the space & time he needs to work his magic, that's all it comes down to.

If you don't agree, that's fine. We could argue this point all day but it won't change anything!
As a united fan, I'm sure you'll know that United played a different style of football in europe at that point. They nearly always played a 4-2-3-1 not to disiimilar to what they played in the league, with Scholes as the attacking midfielder. But the only difference being that the system they played in europe was far more patient which played to Veron's strenghts and made his weaknesses less obvious.
 
1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Top