Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, I was puzzled from the beginning when I read that Manchester United acquired Juan Sebastian Veron from Lazio for 28 million pounds.
I thought to myself why does Manchester United need another central midfielder when they have: Roy Keane, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and Quinton Fortune.
I thought the needs were glaring once last season ended, a central defender or two and an extra striker should do the trick. Well, Thuram goes to Juventus instead of Old Trafford, Bixente Lizarazu says thanks but no thanks, Cannavaro doesn't leave Parma, and Alex Ferguson feeling the need to make a splash on the transfer market pounces on the Veron chance after passport debacle. BINGO!
Veron when he was in top form at Lazio was arguably the best midfielder in the world. His ability to win balls, direct the team's play and flow, make GREAT passes and carry his team when attacking made him a staple at Lazio, and on the International stage for Argentina.
Honestly though, Veron is a great player, but when your team has a need, first you address the need than you splash some cash on a fancy passing Argentinian, who will always be more heavily critisized and analyzed in England, before a World Cup, and especially if the player cost your club 28 million pounds.
That being said, Sir Alex Ferguson this summer has the chance to make due on the mistakes of last summer (missing out on Thuram and Cannavaro, and selling Jaap Stam) he should be able to buy Lilian Thuram from Juventus.
Thuram isn't too happy that he is playing right back, and Juventus are keen to acquire Cannavaro in the summer, so Thuram this summer should be possible, Kenyon is a CHEAP fellow so if Thuram becomes a yes from Juventus, he'll sell Veron probably to Lazio, and Dwight Yorke to anybody who offers a pound or two.
One more thing, Diego Forlan is a nice project, but another striker is a must, I think, I mean no need for Pele` or anything like that but an experience english player would probably be a perfect fit.
I say to Fergie:
Buy: Thuram, Cannavaro, Cisse' or get Adriano on loan
Sell: Yorke, Blanc, Veron, maybe Barthez only if you buy Landreau or David James.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
This topic has been discussed well over a hundred times before Carmelo.;)Veron hasn't really set the Premiershipalight with hisperformances this season and got some stick throughout the campaign for many lacklustre prformances.Perhaps he hasn't setled into the side yet but whatever the reason is,Fergie will keep him at United.He will not let go of this talented Argentinian and hopefully Seba will return much beter next season.:)

About transfer during the summer.....isn't it obvious that we need a central defender or two.;)Thuram looks the most likely with Canna moving to Juve and perhaps Hofland will also arrive from PSV to provide the much needed stability that wenow lack at the back.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Initially, on his last season...Fergie created an ideal scenario of a A-team and a B-team...as i see it. The A-team will be playing for Champions league, FA, Arsenal, Liverpool, Leeds. Consists of Veron, RVN.

B-team are all the rest of the 'reserves', like York, Cole, Fortune, P. Neiville, Chadwick, Butt etc... which Fergie thinks is good enough to win the premier league. He did mentioned that he expect zero-games-loss for his 'final' season. He was building his honorable sure-win pyramid for his death of managing. Fergie already had perfect plans for the year. He thinks the guys would 'look-up' and compete with Veron, but it was the other way. I have to say keane's presence was too much for Veron to handle. At the same time, Fergie wants to justify to the public and himself that he is mistake-free. Still he starts the Argentinian. Cole and York needs better respect than to be downgraded to 'B' team then. Later we can see that even RVN got to play in the premier league. So Fergie got to delay his departure for another 3 yrs cuz he cant explain to himself. The season is bad becuase of Fergie's stubborn self-interest... for the perfect scene of his retirement, and not managing realistically. The players are bought to ensure the outcome of the results. Since when MU needs to 'buy' results....?

Give him more funds and he will abuse it. Further defender-aquisitions will not solve the problem. He needs to rebuild MU's identity to win like MU . 'Put efforts Fergie, or you will be replaced' should be told to him by the board.

Arsene was right about weak-points.
:howler:

D

·
0 Posts
Last season United failed again the Champions Leegue, and it looked like they needed some new ideas.

Veron would bring loads of new ideas, and so would Nistelrooy, But the fact was that the midfield of Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Beckham is too good to be changed.

Everyone seem to be blaming Veron for Fergies downfall, it isn't that, it's just that Utd have got an average defence, or a crap one if you compare it to Arsenal and Liverpool.

·
Bobo
4,525 Posts
instaed of asking yourselves why he bought Veron,why don't you quiz the club as to why they re-signed him after tell everyone he wanted to retire,then re-sign for 3 years?he wasted UTD's last transfer campagin.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
yohy said:
instaed of asking yourselves why he bought Veron,why don't you quiz the club as to why they re-signed him after tell everyone he wanted to retire,then re-sign for 3 years?he wasted UTD's last transfer campagin.
Stupid tosser.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Fergie signed him because he wanted to have an option in the middle if Giggs & Becks are stoped or have a bad day. Without intrusion on the wings, Ruud wouldnt be supplied as he is usually. And Veron wouldnt be just an option, he would be close to perfect in that place.

he just forgot that he's inserting a "creative" guy in the middle of already working "machine".

·
Registered
579 Posts
Veron was brought in to be a starter in the "A" games: Champions League; Arsenal, Liverpool; FA Cup.

I think Fergie thought at the beginning that he would have an elite team and an ordinary (I know it sounds somewhat insulting) team for other matches. And the rotational system would be in place to ensure that players remained fresh throughout the season.

Unfortunately, Scholes was lost in the 4-4-1-1 system and Veron really struggled to find his proper position in the United midfield this season. He's been tried behind the lone striker, on the right, in the middle, and even tucked behind the main midfield line. Arguably nothing has worked. This is not being critical of his performances, don't get me wrong. This is simply saying that Veron and Keane in midfield together don't match. Plus you've got Beckham with aspirations to be a central midfielder and the courage to chase the ball. Veron sort of got squeezed out of a very tight midfield.

We'll all see what Veron is capable of during the World Cup; he may even be one of the stars of the tournament. But in fairly comparing Argentina's midfield to United's, no one can say that they are at all alike. The Argentina midfield is moulded around Veron. Fergie had hopes that he could get stuck in and earn his wages. This isn't the United of four or five years ago that would have absorbed Veron like a sponge does water. Instead, Beckham, Scholes, Keane and Giggs have created the midfield and, therefore, the offensive character of United.

To penetrate that clique would have been impossible for most people, Veron included.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
mmm... good to see all these other teams upporters in here..

nothign wrong with fergie boys! im sure youd all dream of having him :D

why would he by veron?? question should be why WOULDNT you buy veron. hes a quality player, he just might need longer than one season to fit in that is ok, ive got plenty of time. hopefully veron wants to stay with us!!

The best way to get thuram to our club, is to try and keep Laurent Blanc on for 1 more season, that way if he has Blanc, Silvestre and Barthez all at united he will feel far more comfy here....

i think ew will pick him up next season! and hopefuully we keep dwight yorke and he gets a game and he sticks it up everyone next season.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i'm not sure if you Man U supporters actually ever watched Veron play for Lazio but he never won hard balls etc....

Veron is a skillful player, but he is lazy and inconsistant. Proven at every club except for Parma where he played his best football. thats a fact.

now, when he arrived, you Man U supporters where rating him better than Zidane, no matter how many times other people in this forum argued, you insisted he was better and he was the best in the world at his position.

Fergie bought him because he thought that Scholes would be a support striker. now a man like fergie, who is meant to be a god, thought that and that is just ridiculas. scholes is a midfielder, he likes carrying the ball thru the middle as does veron. he was a waste of money in Man U's context.

HOWEVER, Veron hasnt played great due to fergie playing him differently to what he normally plays. fergie has misused him a lot this season. and even veron himself has admitted that he has been misused throughout the season.

so i wouldnt ask why fergie bought him, i would really ask why fergie misused him and wasted his talents.

veron has never been a hard ball winner, he has never carried a team on his shoulders. At lazio, there was nesta, nedved, simeone, salas, crespo, alemyda, mihjlovic, peruzzi..just to name a few that also helped carry lazio to win teh scudetto.

veron is a player who has the ability to create (although he doesnt do so as much as he should) and he can be dangerous at dead ball situations (never given a go at man u due to becks, who blames them).

Anything else mentioned about him is absolute bollucks and it just suggests that those people mentioning those bolluck things have never watched veron play before he joined Man U.

you can sell him but dont blame him for what fergie did to him and for all you Man U supporters made him out to be when he wasn't!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Beefy said:

don't bite hsi head off for having an opinion roy.
He and his opinions can feck off n'all.

Pre-Fergie...good season=decent cup run

Fergie days....good season=European champions

Oh I feel so sorry for all these cnuts, really I do, I mean we've won feck all this season (probably) and we only got to the CL semi-finals and were 1 goal away from reaching the final....what a sh!te season....I think I'll start supporting Arsenal tomorrow...

Get yer heads screwed on you dopey cnuts.

People like this Yohy chap are a shame to MUFC.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts