Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how he's playing in the Premiership (maybe someone could enlighten me about it), but I have seen the two semifinals of Manchester United against Bayer Leverkusen, and he has played very poorly. I don't know if his mind is already at Formello or in Japan/Korea, but if we buy him, I hope it's not the same Veròn I have seen tonight.

FORZA LAZIO

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yeah he's looked nothing like his old self, but I think it's because he doesn't have much freedom in Man Utd's system. Fergie seems to expect him to do his fair share of defending and one of the biggest criticisms of him by Man Utd fans is that he doesn't defend or that he doesn't defend well. So what you get is a Veron being forced to play behind Scholes (I don't understand this at all), restricted further from the attackers and ineffectually trying to tackle in midfield. Also part of his brilliance is doing the low percentage plays that could pay huge dividends, but more often than not end up losing the ball. Such as the impossibly stupid cross-field long ball that is a complete waste of possession, but executed to such precision that it lands right on the striker's foot. I remember someone saying about Veron during his glory years with us that he wasted more balls than any other playmaker in the world. In Man Utd's system that instinct seems to have been drilled out of him. It's as if he's afraid to join the attack or something, very strange. Also in the two legs against Leverkusen we saw a very poor Van Nistelrooj who wasted many good passes from Veron.

What I saw over the past week was Veron, invisible for most of the two games occasionally giving a brilliant pass that should've been converted but ended up getting wasted. So in the overall equation Veron's contribution was negligible, or even negative given his poor defending. With better finishing from Man Utd it might have been a different story.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Problem for Veron is that he needs to be the one that controls and directs how the team play distribute the balls. HE don't get that role in ManU, he is just one in the gang. He hasn't really found his role yet. This can also be seen on his good matches in ManU, they have come the times when he is more free to do what he wants, mostly against minor teams. But after christmas he has rested many of those matches.

But another thing I noticed is that he plays his best when Beckham is on the field. They pass each other a lot and seems to like to play with each other.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
JKris said:
Problem for Veron is that he needs to be the one that controls and directs how the team play distribute the balls. HE don't get that role in ManU, he is just one in the gang.
you both (kazema and ris), have said what i was aying in the manu forum.
he is without selfconfidence, and he is not the strategist of the team. stupid fergy play him as everything (right, left, defensive midf) but the role he has to.
but imho, the biggest problem is his selfconfidence.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Sometimes I see Veron playing as the last man back in the defence when they are trying to come out of their side. Its unbelievable how Veron is being misused! He just doesnt attack as much. If he was more involved in the attack, he would have alot more goals. The guy has one of the best shots in the world and we dont get to see it because of Fergie's messed up strategy.:(

In the Leverken games, he did have some really nice passes, but the forwards keep screwing it up when it was time to finish it. Veron would not look good unless those idiots up forward finish what he gives to them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the artcle writers at soccernet seemed to hate veron so much and the are crying for him to be sold.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i like veron and i feel that he does talent. but i also believe that he is highly over rated.

i mean, he is lazy, very inconsistant and he really doesn't create heaps of opportunites for a player in his position.

personally, i dont see why LAzio want him back. i he didn't perform in englnad, where he should really prove his worth cuz he has more space etc.....and he still didnt.

i really think that Mendieta should be kept along with fiore and they should work out a way on how to make Mendieta his former self. Mendieta in form, is a way better player than veron, no-one can deny that!!!

·
©
7,230 Posts
Here is an interesting article.

Veron walk out

A British tabloid report has claimed that Juan Sebastian Veron has walked out on Manchester United after a bust-up with teammates.

The News of the World alleges that the Argentine midfielder has had enough at Old Trafford.

The incident that forced Veron to walk apparently occured following United's Champions League elimination against Bayer Leverkusen on Tuesday.

He has flown to Rome to be with his family said the report while a close friend was quoted as saying, "He was prepared to stay at United but this bust-up is the final straw and he will not be coming back.

"Sebastian is fed up of being blamed for everything and he is extremely angry at the treatment he has received at the hands of some United players.

"He has made it clear to the club that it would be best for all concerned if they can agree a fee with Lazio and secure his return to Rome."

It is no secret that Lazio president Sergio Cragnotti is eager to bring the midfielder back to the Serie A and with Sir Alex Ferguson keen on Azzurri defender Alessandro Nesta, a massive swap deal could be on the cards.

Speculation has been rife for months that Veron - in his first season in the Premier League after a British record £28million ($A80.3 million) transfer last July - will be back in Lazio colours sooner rather than later.

Despite his critics, Veron has helped United reach the Champions League semi-finals but many believe that he has not always lived up to his reputation as one of the world's most talented midfielders.

However, Red Devils boss Alex Ferguson has consistently defended Veron and rejected claims that he was unhappy with his performances.

Just last month Veron said that he was slowly adjusting to life in Manchester and that only his former club Lazio could ever tempt him back to play in Italy.

theworldgame.com.au

I would love to see him back in Italy. He is better suited.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
May 5, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Veron goes home

Former Lazio midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron has played his last game for Manchester United according to the Sunday Mirror. The paper claims Veron argued with teammates over the club’s exit from the Champions’ League on Wednesday and then flew back to his house in Rome.

“He was prepared to stay at United but this bust-up is the final straw and he will not be coming back,” said a friend of Veron. “Sebastian is fed up of being blamed for everything and he is extremely angry at the treatment he has received at the hands of some United players. He has made it clear to the club that it would be best for all concerned if they can agree a fee with Lazio and secure his return to Rome.”

channel4

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Sunday, May 5, 2002
United deny Veron 'walk out' report

Manchester United today dismissed claims £28million midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron was involved in a bust-up with his team-mates in the wake of their Champions League exit on Tuesday.
United could only draw 1-1 against Bayer Leverkusen and crashed out of the competition at the semi-final stage, robbing manager Sir Alex Ferguson of a Hampden Park final.

And reports today claimed there had been a row between Veron and five of his United colleagues, with allegations the 27-year-old was criticised for his slack displays.

However, United director of communications Paddy Harverson said: 'These stories are rubbish. There was no row between the players after the game on Tuesday night and they're all in training today.'

A report in the Sunday Mirror newspaper said the Argentina midfielder flew to Rome with his family following United's elimination from the Champions League by Bayer Leverkusen on Tuesday.

The report said Veron was involved in a row with some of his team mates after United's semi-final exit.

Veron, who has been repeatedly linked with a return to Lazio, has taken the brunt of the criticism for United's failure in Europe and their disappointing Premiership form.

United expect Veron to be in the squad to face league leaders Arsenal at Old Trafford on Wednesday, a match they have to win to keep alive their slim hopes of winning an unprecedented fourth straight title.

soccernet

G

·
The problem with Veron is that he is too lazy. When United are defending he is the last person out of all the midfielders to come forward in a counter-attack. When United are attacking he is the last person come back when defending.

Veron has the skill, but he is the laziest United player on the pitch. Even Barthez runs more.

He remind me of Asprilla at Newcastle, full of skill, but not a team player and only good in leagues like the Serie A.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts