Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
©
7,230 Posts
Zeko is a legend. Another person Mamic ran out of dinamo along with Vlak. I guess you can't be fair and work in Croatian football.

The fans didn't like him at Pao even though they were successful while he was there, but good to see him at Portsmouth. I don't think he will stay as coach though.

In Vecernji List it says that Prosinecki might be! :eekani:

http://www.vecernji-list.hr/newsroom/sports/football/156698/index.do

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
well Zeko also run Prosinecki out of Dinamo as well, so they are on non speaking terms... I very much doubt Prosinecki would go where Zeko is, he said in SN that he never heard of it before and it was a joke

·
©
7,230 Posts
Yeah i read that the Prosinecki thing was not true after i posted. and yeah he did get rid of him at dinamo for some reason..

Smith: Zajec appointment final straw

Harry Redknapp and Jim Smith quit Portsmouth because of the appointment of Velimir Zajec as executive director of the club, it was revealed today.
Smith claimed it was 'the final straw' as the pair's relationship with chairman Milan Mandaric deteriorated.

Zajec has taken over as caretaker boss and along with coaches Kevin Bond and Joe Jordan steered the team to victory at Bolton.

The triumph came in the wake of the sudden resignations of managerial duo Redknapp and Smith.

Speaking on Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme, Smith said: 'There have been problems in terms of players, what the chairman perceived and what Harry perceived.

'But bringing in a director of football pushed Harry all the way. It was the straw that broke the camel's back.'

Asked if he thought they would still be there had Zajec not been appointed, Smith responded: 'Without a shadow of a doubt.'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=317794&cc=3436
At English clubs, a director of football is pretty much useless because the coach, or manager, decides what players to bring in and what players to let go.

I imagine the Portsmouth fans already dislike Zeko a little because Redknapp was very popular..

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
not really, it seems that shat that was posted in english papers and tv was all that - shat. Pompey received thousands of emails and letters in support for Mandaric and hence Zeko, and everything they do, because Mandaric saved the club from bankrupcy and now they are in Premier league... Everyone there has great respect for Mandaric and all he did for the club, and lots of people have been cancelling their tv subscritptions due to bad writing of the media.

As to director of football position, thats what Redknapp was when he first came :).
Basically it is much needed position for making the club stable long term.

Look at dinamo, if they had good director of football before, maybe they would not end up with not needed players they paid too much for...

·
©
7,230 Posts
Yes, but dinamo, Serie A and almost every league in the world is different from England.

What I mean is that in England the manager not only coaches but also decides on all transfers, where in most countries a director would do that.. They get alot of freedom which is why a lot of coaches like going there.

I guess they would have to really work together and that is what Redknapp wasn't happy with.

·
Registered
69,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does Zajec speak English? May seem like a dumb question but every time I see Pompey highlights he never does the little post match interview and he never seems to direct his players when he is in the dugout. It is always the assistent manager.

·
Registered
69,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
other than a useless Carling Cup match Pompey are unbeaten under Zajec but they are still looking for another man in charge, maybe Strachan. Pompey have done very well lately, drawing with Newcastle away and Liverpool today.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Zajec has been doing great things for Portsmouth so far, they were on a downhill fall before Redknapp left losing 2 or 3 games in a row, Zajec turned it around with 4 very good results and he's not even getting the credit. They're on about Joe Jordan who is just an assistant coach who is getting all the credit in the media, the players have though been mentioning Zajec and saying how is footballing skills are amazing, while Stefanovic came out and said the Zajec is one of his idols and so forth.

The British for some reason don't like the Director of Football but they also are hating on Mandaric and most of the ex pros etc. were siding with Redknapp. I did hear that Antic was to take over as manager/ coach in the long run but nothing has been mentioned for a while and Milan said he'd give the job to Zajec if talks with Strachan break down.

·
©
7,230 Posts
Not sure Zajec is the answer longterm. He has spent more time as an administrator than a coach but you can't go against him at the moment. I doubt he would care that he isn't getting the credit. The assistant would be doing a big job aswell as he knows the players etc etc..

Redknapp is an overrated coach for me anyway. Every English coach is overrated im my opinion. None of them manage their top clubs or the national team.

·
Registered
332 Posts
dinamovac11 said:
Every English coach is overrated im my opinion. None of them manage their top clubs or the national team.
Fergie?

·
Registered
2 Posts
HajdukSplit said:
does Zajec speak English? May seem like a dumb question but every time I see Pompey highlights he never does the little post match interview and he never seems to direct his players when he is in the dugout. It is always the assistent manager.
He speaks very good English and from what I have seen of him he seems to be a man who knows what he wants, he has impressed me with his tactics already, something Redcrapp never did !

·
©
7,230 Posts
Good on Zajec for becoming coach. Another person that was driven out of dinamo by Mamic. That shaw proved to be a good decision. :rollani:

Funny how we didn't have a coach in any of the top leagues, but now we have a coach who is really a football director.:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts