Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
15 games 17 goals and 7 assists in the Bundesliga sofar :proud:

These stats are simply amazing and he deserves a thread for it imo. Let's hope I don't jinx him :hopeful:

Is he just lucky to be in a great team that plays very offensively or is he a great striker and a brilliant poacher?

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
24 years old, style someone more informed can elaborate

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
17 goals and first half of the season hasn't even ended... heck, even if its the Bundesliga, those stats are amazing.

And Hoffenheim have gone nuts...

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
He is benefiting from playing for the best half-field transition team in Europe. I've watched them for the last couple of months either live or on replay, and one would have to conclude that he is definitely a major beneficiary of that system. Hoffenheim are even more offensive than Arsenal and Barcelona. Their midfielders and full-backs press high up the pitch and as soon as they force a turnover they're usually committing six or seven players at break-neck speed in transition - it is thrilling to watch and yields huge offensive gains; 40 goals in 15 games.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
I saw him on goalissimo yesterday, so looked him up. He doesn't seem to have a good goalscoring record prior to joining Hoffenheim, so maybe people are right when they say it is a lot to do with playing in such an attacking side (?)

I'm going to try and catch one of their games soon, Obasi sounds like an exciting talent also. Does Carlos Eduardo play much?

·
Administrator
52,970 Posts
Obasi is ze BOMB :shades: Even if he isnt the one scoring the crazy amount, he is the most exciting one.

And yeah, defenitely benifiting from playing in Zdenek Zeman-esque attacking system. But still is sick sick goal turnout. Will prolly go to Bayern like every other successful Bundesliga player?

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
From my view, Ibisevic is a fairly skilled striker. He has good technical skill level, which for most part this season, he hasn't had to utilize. With the NT, we were able to see that skill level, but he was not finishing well after making some nice plays. He would have 100% chances but miss badly.

With Hoffenheim, the attacking-style has allowed him to totally simplify his game. So now he doesn't even have to make those moves, since there is so many options all the time. He has become a goal scorer without actually utilizing his main skills.

So I have no doubt when he goes to a bigger club, or bigger league, he is going to have to go back to using that skill to beat players, and ultimately that will be the decider of his success.

He has a very good skill level as I said, but in the past, he wasn't a clinical finisher having to do a lot more work and not having as many options. Was it just due to a lack of experience? weak mentally? We will find out.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I am becoming more and more a fan of Ibisevic and Hoffenheim, the more I watch them.

He would definetly suit English football as he is your typical big number 9. Give him a chance and he will score. He works hard, scores goals and also seems quite quick for a big guy. Still think his finishing could improve and with that record a move to England beckons.

Surprised no one has mentioned the other two quality forwards they have. Ba I had never heard of till this season, but he reminds me of a young Drogba. Quick, big, strong, aggressive. He is a real handfull. He is technically quite good and I feel that scouts should really be thinking about him. Edu is my favourite player in the squad. Technically a real excellent player who just loves to run at players and cause problems.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Demba Ba has to be given a lot of credit for his success, he's usually always involved in Hoffenheims goals.

Great season for Vedad so far, would be something if he could break a goalscoring record in Bundesliga, but that's still unlikely.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
European football needs more teams like Hoffenheim.

A team from a village plays the most exhilarating football on the continent. Simply extraordinary.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
I saw him on goalissimo yesterday, so looked him up. He doesn't seem to have a good goalscoring record prior to joining Hoffenheim, so maybe people are right when they say it is a lot to do with playing in such an attacking side (?)

I'm going to try and catch one of their games soon, Obasi sounds like an exciting talent also. Does Carlos Eduardo play much?
They play Bayern on friday. I'm watching it with my german mates on Setanta.

·
Registered
69,964 Posts
Well, obviously in a different level, in Romania we have Urziceni leading the table before this weekend. They represent a village with a population of less than 20.000, and they could play in CL next year. Tonight they play against Steaua.

And about Ibisevic, I haven´t watched him enough. But his numbers are spectacular. Hoffenheim are the big surprise of the season.

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
European football needs more teams like Hoffenheim.

A team from a village plays the most exhilarating football on the continent. Simply extraordinary.
They have a moneyman there... What's so special with a village team that got one of the richest guys in Germany pumping money in the team?
Nah, there are better examples...

·
Registered
19,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They have a moneyman there... What's so special with a village team that got one of the richest guys in Germany pumping money in the team?
Nah, there are better examples...
You clearly don't know their story. More than half of the teams in the Bundesliga have a bigger budget than them but yet they are outplaying and beating almost every single team they have faced sofar.

They haven't bought one single star but only players that had potential. Why didn't any other team buy Demba Ba when he was playing at Moeskroen? He didn't go for that much money. What was so exceptional about Ibisevic and Salihovic when they joined Hoffenheim? Neither of them was expected to play anything as good as they are doing now but thanks to a mix of players who complement eachother perfectly they have formed an amazing team.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
He actually reminds me of a young Inzaghi. His technical abbilities are not that great but the guy is always at the right spot and knows how to stay calm and finish his chances.
That's more a description of Dzeko than Ibisevic. Ibisevic with the NT never looked strong at finishing, even though he showed some pretty good skill IMO to get into good areas. He looked anything but calm though.

I think he is always in the right position due to the very attacking formation of Hoffenheim. There are always options available for all the players.

Players that succeed because they have the intelligence like Inzaghi tend to be succesful from the very beginning, even without experience, because they are smarter than many guys their age. And that was the case for Inzaghi. He did quiet well goal wise early on as well. He isn't an amazing goal scorer because as you said he isn't the best technically, but do to his smarts, from the very beginning, he was able to pot goals. Ibisevic on the other hand did well in Uni, but then struggling with Aachen, Dijon, and then Hoffenheim in the 2nd league. If he was that smart he would put some goals pretty regularly with those teams before this big year.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts