Xtratime Community banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
41,681 Posts
Plus those decisions relegated Bournemouth who have been stinking up the league for years. I'd much prefer to see Leeds, Fulham or Brentford.

·
Administrator
11,766 Posts
Was a red card given and then taken bad through a VAR decision?
Because if not, taking away the VAR would have resulted in the same decision and all the crying about how bad VAR is would be utterly hilarious given that.

It's a human mistake, nothing to do with VAR.
Until now I thought robots are in the VAR room. VAR is for eliminating robot mistakes?

Bill trying to steal Reza thunder and trying to be the old grump man complaining about new technology.
Where is that : old : smiley :D

·
Registered
17,550 Posts
@Reza: Since you avoided the question I assume VAR didn't make any difference in the decision. So complaining about it in THIS case is really stupid.

When you find a case where a right decision is being "corrected into a wrong decision" through VAR then you have a reason to complain.

Saying VAR hasn't corrected a wrong decision once, hence it is useless is not in the least bit a good argument.

·
Administrator
11,766 Posts
VAR rule's first line is clear and obvious ref errors will be corrected after review by VAR. Today no red was given for that challenge after checking and talking. The manner to arrive at the decision is not mentioned or relevant. If checking that you give a red, simple.

You are avoiding the obvious by your last line:

It's a human mistake, nothing to do with VAR.
What's the purpose of VAR if human mistakes are not corrected. Not just today's incident but overall?

·
Registered
17,550 Posts
VAR is still operated by humans, you cannot and will never be able to get a 100% perfect system.

The point is without VAR this would have been no red. Yet there is blame on VAR for no red.

I am not disagreeing that they made a mistake there, but they=humans.

·
Registered
17,550 Posts
Again, VAR being there or not did not change the decision.

But we have seen many (hundrets per season across Europe) scenes where VAR corrected mistakes.

So I don't understand how it is useless. That argument is simply wrong.

·
Registered
45,396 Posts
VAR works most of the time though, doesn't it? I don't see why some instances where it isn't viewed properly should mean that the whole system should be scrapped.

If you apply that reasoning to refs, refs make mistakes, therefore scrap refs?

Condoms break sometimes or people don't use them properly or at all...don't bother with condoms?

·
Administrator
11,766 Posts
VAR didn't change the decision? How is that a good thing? If VAR exists it should at least correct mistakes, it didn't even do that cause that was a red.
I repeat what I said early on about VAR, in this thread and before in our old chatbox for example. A system is worth it if works well and is applied how it is written. So VAR should work well (it didn't in the stamping) and should apply as written. It is written for 'clear and obvious' errors yet it is not applied in that way, watch the incidents in today's Milan game for example.

An act (a couple using condoms) between two people as an analogy for something which replays and extra referees exist to take out mistakes? Fird :D

·
Registered
45,396 Posts
All the times the system gets it right irrelevant? You focus only on the times it gets things wrong, being the minority, and then decide to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

I think a better argument is to recognise that there is a net improvement with VAR but to question whether this justifies current delays to/interference with the games, (perhaps factoring in that VAR decisions aren't invoked so frequently across the board as well).

You may have an even better argument if data showed that VAR has skewed decisions in favour of the bigger teams. As things stand, that may not be the case though.

The system has been in use already in the top divisions in Spain, France, Germany and Italy, and in the first season after it was introduced, the number of penalties awarded to underdog teams playing away from home increased by 35 per cent, according to stats compiled by football data analytics firm 21st Club.

·
Registered
45,396 Posts
I think the condom analogy works pretty well. Condoms protect against unwanted pregnancies/spread of STDs; VAR protects against refereeing errors.

For condoms, there are other methods of contraception but condoms are still a net positive. In this case, you don't seem to be arguing for other methods of refereeing but a return to the norm, which is objectively worse in terms of errors.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Not VAR's fault but VAR is often involved in the implementation: the new handball rule is wrong. Too many goals disallowed and calls punishing players who are blameless.

·
Registered
45,396 Posts
I'm with you on that. I get what they're trying to do - simplify/streamline the rules so that decisions can be more straightforward. But like you said, you punish players who are blameless and then there's the added problem in the case of jumping players. You'd have to create a separate rule or category for jumping, which seems to make things more convoluted. I wonder what the time savings are for the new rules vs old as well. I can't imagine that it would be very significant.

I think it's easier if the rules on arm positions/movement were simply based on natural vs unnatural.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Absolutely nothin'.

Reactions: Andy Christ

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
Apparently, there is actually a lot of discussion of how VAR is being misused in PL. I think it is natural, they gloat about great referees but they are all shit like Webb and work with principles like not interference (some crap neo-liberal refereeing) to the point they do not act and let harsh tackles and violence run amok. So naturally, they are doing the same with VAR.

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
Bogans use VAR to check if they are cousins or just half-brother, I am sure

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
And they changed the handball rule again. Main change is that shoulder is no longer considered hand and only if it is a clear chance of goal, any handbal should be called while commited by an attacking player.

They made something weird with card in PK Shot outs (seems like the cards during the game are not going to be counted, so you can have 2 yellows in a game without this turning in a red).

101 - 120 of 120 Posts