Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vanuatu seem to be the big improvers of the Oceania region, and the ones most likely to rival Australia and New Zealand in the future.

Of course we all remember their performance in the Under 16 Championships where they performed heroically to make the final before losing 4-0 to Australia.

Now we have them in the semi finals of the Oceania Nations Cup. They have upset Fiji 1-0 and seemingly played alright against Australia. I reckon the might give NZ a shake on Friday.

I am just wondering what is your take on this?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
We also needed a penalty to get past them at the last OFC Cup at the Semi-Final stage ...

They're a 'good' side but often flatter-to-deceive when much is expected of them and tend only to do well when they can surprise opponents.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well they were upstaged by Tahiti in the 3rd place playoff the Oceania Nations Cup 1-0. Still I think they should be very happy with their performance and it seems them and Tahiti may have a bright future.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I reckon they should do a ranking of all the Oceania coaches so that we can poach the one with the best reputation :D :nasty: :excited:

I'm sure Farina would figure well down the list. I'd hate to see what he would have done with some of the lesser lights :nervous:

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
The alarm bells for Australia were already ringing against Vanuatu, and against Tahiti they rang even louder. Tahiti and Vanuatu are certainly improving, while Fiji aren't what they were just a year ago. So maybe the Oceania region may finally become competitive, but that's not enough to convince me that it should remain a separate confederation. I think that all of the teams in the region, and not just Australia and New Zealand, will benefit from regular practice outside the region.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts