Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...as has been said today in a press conference by Lamikiz and him. My cicle has ended, txingurri has said. I´ll give my opinion when I have more time, but it´s pretty clear he doesn´t feel supported by the board, right? Afterall he was Zubi´s man..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Could you fill me in on the details when more info is available?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Valverde to give up Bilbao job at end of season

MADRID, March 4 (Reuters) - Athletic Bilbao coach Ernesto Valverde said on Friday he has rejected the club's offer of a contract renewal and will leave the Primera Liga side at the end of the season.

The 41-year-old former Bilbao player made it clear that his decision had not been taken because of any disagreement with the club and said he had not been offered a job by another team.

Valverde took over as Bilbao coach at the start of last season following the departure of Jupp Heynckes and steered the Basque side to fifth place in the league, their best finish in six years.

Bilbao were knocked out of the UEFA Cup last week by Austria Vienna and lost their first league match in 11 outings when they went down 1-0 at Malaga on Wednesday.

They are in 10th place in the Primera Liga, seven points adrift of the European places, and have reached the semi-finals of the King's Cup.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, it's shocking news :eek: I thought Valverde is doing good job, but I agree with what Txupa said. Valverde and the Board have something going on here... :rolleyes:

Why Valverde? Tell us the truth!! :eyepatch:

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
From goal.com

Athletic Explain Valverde Quit Decision
3/4/2005 11:19:00 PM
Athletic Bilbao president Fernando Lamikiz claims that the club did everything they could to convince coach Ernesto to Valverde to sign a new deal.
But the Basque club’s trainer has announced that he will not renew his contract and is set to leave in the summer.

"He was the ideal coach for us," Lamikiz said. "But we understand his personal reasons and have to respect his decision.

"I tried to convince him to stay in the last meeting we had, but he has made up his mind.

"Our relationship has always been open and honest. We believe in Ernesto and we never questioned his work. I wanted to ensure that you saw nothing negative in this.

"We wanted to show that there has never been problems between us, so that there will be no rumours or comments made now that everyone knows what has happened first hand.

"We are grateful that he has let us know early on so that we can begin planning and enjoy the end of the season without any pressure. We are going to begin looking for a new coach and Ernesto will be involved in that process."

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Rhizoid said:
From goal.com

Athletic Explain Valverde Quit Decision
3/4/2005 11:19:00 PM
Athletic Bilbao president Fernando Lamikiz claims that the club did everything they could to convince coach Ernesto to Valverde to sign a new deal.
But the Basque club’s trainer has announced that he will not renew his contract and is set to leave in the summer.

"He was the ideal coach for us," Lamikiz said. "But we understand his personal reasons and have to respect his decision.

"I tried to convince him to stay in the last meeting we had, but he has made up his mind.

"Our relationship has always been open and honest. We believe in Ernesto and we never questioned his work. I wanted to ensure that you saw nothing negative in this.

"We wanted to show that there has never been problems between us, so that there will be no rumours or comments made now that everyone knows what has happened first hand.

"We are grateful that he has let us know early on so that we can begin planning and enjoy the end of the season without any pressure. We are going to begin looking for a new coach and Ernesto will be involved in that process."
That's the official version. I want the unofficial. It's really sad, I'm not Athletic fan, but lately it's a pleassure to see Valverde's team... from the point of view of a football fan (I guess that some of you are near of the heart attack :D). His style is great and he's achieving good results, IMO. Considering the last decade, I think that this Athletic raises more passions than any other that I've seen before, including the one that was 2nd and played the CL.

I recall that one year ago, in the "Coaches poll" in the Spanish leagues forum, I've voted him as the best coach, because he's the bravest coach in Primera and I still rate him high. It's a bad loss.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Which personal reasons? :confused:

This news came as a surprise to me, to everyone I believe... he's doing well, no troubles with the fans/staff as far as I know... but probably with the board then.

Already rumours who'll replace him?

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
shocking news. :(
Valverde is one of my favourite coaches in Spain.it's a huge loss for Athletic. :depress:

·
4,421 Posts
I heard some rumors that he is angry necause Yeste and Del Horno wen't out on Saturday night before the match vs Austria Wien, and because Lamikiz inscribed Athletic in intertoto cup wihtout consulting him.

But htis is just a rumor that I heard who knows if it's true

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
BioJedi said:
I heard some rumors that he is angry necause Yeste and Del Horno wen't out on Saturday night before the match vs Austria Wien, and because Lamikiz inscribed Athletic in intertoto cup wihtout consulting him.

But htis is just a rumor that I heard who knows if it's true
Yeste and Del Horno went out before the match? If so --> :thmbdown:

But that doesn't look a reason to me to quit as a coach, there must have happened more than one incident I reckon then, if this all is true...

We're going to play Intertoto football? Good good :thumbsup: .
If it was without consultation that's absolutely wrong, maybe this is only one of the reasons, maybe there's going much more without consultation, who knows?

·
4,421 Posts
The rumor about Yeste and Del Horno isn't official isn't in the news, so it may be a hoax

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Knoert said:
We're going to play Intertoto football? Good good :thumbsup: .
If it was without consultation that's absolutely wrong, maybe this is only one of the reasons, maybe there's going much more without consultation, who knows?
Probably you´re on the good direction here... I think it´s a matter of Valverde wanting more responsability than what Lamikiz offered. But it´s obvious they won´t say anything since he will continue as coach until June, and that could destabilize the team, we have the semis of the cup and the league yet. I hope Txingurri leaves Athletic in the gabarra with the Cup title under his arm.:)

I already gave my opinion about him in the contract renewals thread, he isn´t the best coach in the world but he is a good one for Athletic, you normally see logic in his decissions. He likes good football, doesn´t create problems and knows perfectly (& trusts in) the young players that can arrive to the first team.

I think he´s very good at preparing the tactics of the games but he fails when taking decissions during the games, he often makes wrong decissions in wrong moments. But after passing his first 2 years (with the normal mistakes of a rookie) I think things could just get better now but.....

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm so disappointed I don't even feel like making any comments. I'll try though.

After hearing Segurola last night, I have to say I agree with him: Lamikiz is making decisions unilaterally, interfering with issues that involve the coach and his team. Now, when a president gets involved with issues that don't or shouldn't cocern him, the team is fecked. Examples? Jesus Gil (may he rest in peace), Piterman,... Whereas I agree Valverde is not the best coach in the world, he's proved to be one of the best for us, he's brought young players up, put Lezama back in the map, and made a team that has brought back smiles and cheer to San Mames. Lamikiz, on the other hand, is too often the centre of attention. Well, he's not Florentino, is he? Athletic is not Real Madrid, so please, do not try and run it like a bloody company!! Why get rid of everything he didn't bring to Athletic??? If it ain't broke don't change it!!!

This subject has spoilt most of what this team had made me feel so far this season (including some painful defeats). I'm sad and worried of what this president's going to do to Athletic. I'm depressed. Jesus, what a way of ****ing things up!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts