Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question is, will Abramovich be happy with his investment at Chelsea? Perhaps now more than ever he will be pondering on his asset's progress since its aquisition in 2003.

I feel this is a just comparison on a couple of levels.

1. Abramovich took over Chelsea at around the same time as Barca got Ronaldinho.

2. Barca are Spanish champions, Chelsea are English champions.

My figures may be a little off, so please feel free to correct me if you know better - but to the best of my knowledge Chelsea has spent £330million whilst Barca have spent around £70million.

If my figures are correct, then Chelsea has spent approximately 4.5 times more on players than Barcelona, in roughly the same time period.

I do wonder what mood Abramovich is in after seeing his team comprehensively outplayed over two legs by Barca.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Chelsea is overpaying. They overpaid for Ricardo Carvalho and Paulo Ferreira, they overpaid for Glen Johnson, they overpaid for Del Horno, they overpaid for Drogba, they overpayed for Wright-Phillips, they overpaid for Essien... The quality of players is not inferior to that of Barcelona, but the money spent of them is so large because they have a sugar-daddy financial policy.

Barcelona on the other hand spent money when needed (Deco and Eto'o for example), but they also try to get bargain prices like the bosmans of Van Bommel and Larsson.

And they have a youth team which has provided many, many members of their starting line up like Valdes, Motta, Xavi, Messi, Puyol, Oleguer etc. That saves them lots of money too.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Yeah, he's become billions richer since he took over. Getting value for money isn't important.

They'll win the CL within the next 3 years, I'm sure of that.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barçawinner said:
I don't think Abramovich really cares. I bet he gets more interest on his money than he spends on Chelsea every year :D
Around £700million per year, as a conservative estimate on his money (that we know about).

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts