Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posting this in hope of gathering information and advice from fellow American supporters in a similar situation to myself.

To date, I've only been to one World Cup qualifier. It was a wonderful experience, a cracking match at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City. We were victorious on the night, 1-0 over Costa Rica on a Josh Wolff goal. We were sitting on the side of the pitch but right on the end, and following his goal he ran right towards my group of supporters, just a great moment I couldn't ever forget. I also met loads of Costa Rican supporters on the night, who were loud, intense, but very polite and great fans to meet. Wonderful overall memories.

I'm looking to go to another U.S. qualifer this time around, but this time my goal is to make it to the biggest match there is in American football - versus Mexico. The game I'm looking to is going to be played September 3, 2005, which is a Saturday. There is no venue yet to be announced, but it will either be in Carson, California at the Home Depot Center, or Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio.

Problem is, I'm in Springfield, Missouri. Which is 635 miles from Columbus and a whopping 1675 miles from Carson. I don't mind the distance, it's just something I have to do.

Has anyone else here made any similar trips, especially in America for a sporting event, but even in Europe or the likes, who can give me advice on how to get it done?

Money is an issue, to an extent, but I will make financial sacrifices should I so need if that would enable me to get to go to this match.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
If it's in Columbus, I might consider going, especially since it's on a Saturday.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I would go if it is in Carson...that would be fun

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Isaac said:
Has anyone else here made any similar trips, especially in America for a sporting event, but even in Europe or the likes, who can give me advice on how to get it done?
Not in america, but I have done plenty in Europe. Europe is easy, trains, backpacking and hostels are very accesible.

If I were to do it in the USA, I would go by car, and try and stay at small hotels outside the cities, Motel 6, red roof ins, etc. Although now there are a lot of discount airlines like Song, Jet Blue, ATA etc, maybe you can take advantage of that fact.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, I have gone to a number of sporting events around the country. The Olympics in Atlanta was one of my favorites.

Fly, stay in a hotel that you can walk to the stadium from. Some local hotels will have special events and stuff for the game.

Dullas to CA $300.00 round trip. $100.00 a night at a hotel. $150.00 for meals. Say $1200.00 total not to bad for traveling 3000 miles to a game.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Now here is the trip if I could just get out of work.

$463 total X2 = $1000.00

Hotel Prim

This hotel is only one mile from Chapultepec Park, Mexico City’s cathedral, and the historic Zócalo.

Guestrooms feature cable/satellite ... More lodging info

Mexico, D.F.

Check in: 3/14/05
Check out: 3/16/05

Washington DC (DCA) to Mexico City (MEX) Depart: 3/14/05 6:25 AM - 1:08 PM Northwest Northwest
Mexico City (MEX) to Washington DC (DCA) Return: 3/16/05 2:25 PM - 10:15 PM Northwest Northwest

Package price includes: Lodging (1 room): 2 nights in Standard-European Plan, taxes. Flight: 1 roundtrip ticket, taxes & fees.

Change flight Choose and continue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts