Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2:1 for USA, although it was 2:2 really since valid goal got disalowed which would not happen in WC.. it was too obvious

By far the most entertaining match that I saw USA play... USA has relativly weak group that it might pass... Although its defence shatters under the pressure, as long as they dont need to all out defend, they stand a chance

but Uruguay has absolutly no chance to do anything if they play anywhere close to what they did today... they dont have midfield at all, they just play long balls and rely on individuals for a dribble to create a chance... no discipine whatsoever...it might have worked a bit against USA (they still lost), but with Denmark or France, they stand no chance...

Still, definetly most US NT entertaining game to watch so far...

It would be interesting if Croatia finishes 1st and US 2nd in their group ;-)
I wonder who would JureM cheer for ;-))))

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
I would cheer for the referee and the Linesman....:D

Actually missed the game today, but I hear that Arena is making Brad Friedel the #1 goalie. That is not good. Keller is much better, especially considering how weak our defence is. I never liked the guy and I think he is getting worse with age, but Jeff Agoos has no business playing for any national team. The US defence is very weak....the midfield is not that strong, they have to hope that Clint Mathis scores some goals.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
What's the story on Razov?

What happened?

Fiedel can't shine Kasey's boots.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Razov did not make the World Cup squad. My opinion is that he is a very good player but not an international player. He is on the National team pool still but he plays mostly in friendlies or qualifying matches when regular members aren't available.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
seriously Jure, who would you cheer for?:confused:

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, JureM is American as well, he has every right to cheer for both ;-)

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Thank you spwolf...but I will be honest...its going to be tough for me. So, I will tell you after the game....:D

But, I don't know if the US will advance to the next round anyway.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
chhering for both defeats the purpose of cheering at all. Jure, you've dissapointed me...

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
If Croatia played Canada in hockey and nothing was on the line for the Croatians but the gold medal was on the line for Canada, I'd still want Croatia to win.

I am a Croatian Canadian, not a Canadian Croatian.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well guys, plz... if JureM wants to cheer for both or cheer for USA, its his right... most croatians born in the states feel strongly about being Americans as well as Croatians... thats another good thing about USA, no matter who you are, you can feel like you belong here... of course, not every1 is in the same situation so plz dont compare...

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
wow spwolf...I've grown on you haven't I....:D :D

As they say, when the time comes I will tell you all....as I said, I'll be in a tough situation as I was born and raised and spent my life here in the USA so that makes me an AMerican and I have allegence to the US team...But, my parents were born in Croatia, immigrated here and I learned about my Croatian heritage from them, spoke Croatian before I spoke English, went to Croatian Church, played with the Croatian Soccer team here, and most of my best friends are Croatian-Americans....so, I figure, I can root for either team....I'll be honest, I'll be happy for whoever wins, and feel bad for whoever loses....and I'd hope for a tie but that can't happen as the US and Croatia will play in the knockout round.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Armas Out of World Cup for Injury

By RONALD BLUM
.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - The United States lost a key defensive player for the World Cup when midfielder Chris Armas tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee Sunday.

Armas was injured during the Americans' 2-1 exhibition victory over Uruguay. In the 16th minute, he collapsed near the sideline without being hit while tracking Uruguay's Fabian O'Neill. Armas remained in the game for eight more minutes.

About seven hours after the game, the U.S. Soccer Federation said an MRI exam at Fair Oaks Hospital in Fairfax, Va., revealed the torn ACL.

``I'm extremely disappointed, more so for my family, parents and friends who had all booked their tickets to the World Cup,'' Armas said. ``It was a very odd play; a movement that I have made a thousand times. I had just planted on my right foot and I felt the knee go. In life these things happen. Right now I don't think it's fully sunk in.''

Armas, 29, was among three players from Major League Soccer's Chicago Fire picked April 22 for Arena's 23-man roster.

U.S. coach Bruce Arena, who didn't immediately select Armas' replacement, had three midfielders among his 10 alternates: Brian Maisonneuve of Columbus - a member of the 1998 U.S. World Cup team - Crew teammate Brian West and Richie Williams of D.C. United.

``Chris has been an outstanding performer with our team and a fine professional,'' Arena said. ``We are indebted to his service to the U.S. national team. He will certainly serve as an inspiration to his teammates this summer.''

An injury also caused Armas to miss the 2000 Sydney Olympics. He originally was selected as one of the three wild-card players over the age limit of 23, but sprained a ligament in his left knee that Aug. 16 as the United States beat Barbados 7-0 in a semifinal round World Cup qualifier.

Armas played in 14 of the 16 qualifiers for the 2002 World Cup, and has two goals in 46 international appearances.

05/13/02 00:12 EDT

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sooo many ppl are out of the WC... like england lost two... Mpenza is out for Belgium, etc, etc...

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Armas will be a tough loss as he is a guy that is good defensively and can set other guys up. He is not on the NT to score goals. But, he will be missed on the US NT.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
To bad all these players are out.

As of myself,no doubt bitches!

JUST READ MY SIGNAUTURE.............................................:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
yup its different for us Cro's living outside of the U.S.A. anywhere outside the USA esspecialy in Canada Australia and other commonwealth countries Croatians like me feel little connection to that specific country i am like Baraba or Ero i feel Croatian first Canadian second! its a lack of pride in the commonwealth countries because they are the little brothers of England that make us more one dimmensional for our love for a country while the USA has a more richer and accepting history for immigrants they are almost like a European country regarding history and pride while Canada is just mostly to us Cro's a big colony:tongue:

like Spwolf said it cant be compared!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts