Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay! This is for all the marbles!

I'd say put Donovan back up and keep Mathis on the bench as a sub! Put Stewart back on right mid if he is fit enough.

This will pitch a fast attack that should reap good results against the slow, tired and uninspired Polish defense.

Poland's Piotr Swierczewski got his second yellow card of the tournament in today's match against Portugal. He will miss the match against us.

·
Registered
674 Posts
If it is true that "tired and uninspired" players are a liability, Bruce should definitely rest Reyna (till August).

Why is everybody so anxious to put Mathis on the bench? He played fine today with very little service from Captain America. If not for JOB's service in the middle, he would have received no balls at all in position to score. To his credit one service equaled one goal!

Our lack of midfield play from the captain killed us both ways, on defense and offense. It puts tremendous pressure on the back line and leaves the front line without support. I'm sick of it. I expect more from midfielders than long balls for Beasley and Donovan to chase down.

Oldplayer

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I agree, OP, our offensive buildup was pitiful today.

What d'ya say we give McBride a well deserved rest ("McBride has been working ceaselessly for the U.S." says Ty Keough ceaselessly) and put Donovan up front where he and Beasley can work together to drive the Poles batty.

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We will advance with a tie or a win. We will advance even with a loss if Korea defeats Portugal! :eek:

But to win our group is definitely within our grasp!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would actually put McBride on the bench for this game for the simple reason that pace is what the U.S. needs up front for this match. The Polish Defense has struggled to close down attackers, and that is the best way to exploit them. Putting Donovan up front would be ideal, as he is fast and is a good finisher. Plus, he can take defenders on which is ideal against this Polish Defense (or at least the Polish defense that has shown itself thus far). Mathis is also needed up front due to his scoring ability on the ground. We don't need McBride on the pitch for his aerial ability, as the ground game will be far more threatening and if called upon, Pope, Sanneh and Llamosa can come up for corners/set pieces. My ideal 11:

GK: Friedel
LB: Hejduk
CB: Llamosa
CB: Pope
RB: Sanneh
LW: Beasley
CM: O'Brien
CM: Reyna
RW: Stewart/Mastroeni
ST: Donovan
ST: Mathis

If Mastroeni starts, put Reyna in a more advanced position. If Stewart starts, have Reyna in a more withdrawn role--or even replace Reyna with Mastroeni. However, against the Polish Midfield I have seen, Reyna will be greatly effective IMO. Also, Llamosa has to be smart and wisely man-mark Olisadebe out of the match. I am not thrilled with the prospect of Agoos doing such a task.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Portugal spread apart the Polish defense like it was two-bit whore. Put the fastest and most powerful forwards up front and the US will be using Dudek for target practice all match long.

·
Registered
67 Posts
mathiaslg said:
I would actually put McBride on the bench for this game for the simple reason that pace is what the U.S. needs up front for this match. The Polish Defense has struggled to close down attackers, and that is the best way to exploit them. Putting Donovan up front would be ideal, as he is fast and is a good finisher. Plus, he can take defenders on which is ideal against this Polish Defense (or at least the Polish defense that has shown itself thus far). Mathis is also needed up front due to his scoring ability on the ground. We don't need McBride on the pitch for his aerial ability, as the ground game will be far more threatening and if called upon, Pope, Sanneh and Llamosa can come up for corners/set pieces. My ideal 11:

GK: Friedel
LB: Hejduk
CB: Llamosa
CB: Pope
RB: Sanneh
LW: Beasley
CM: O'Brien
CM: Reyna
RW: Stewart/Mastroeni
ST: Donovan
ST: Mathis

If Mastroeni starts, put Reyna in a more advanced position. If Stewart starts, have Reyna in a more withdrawn role--or even replace Reyna with Mastroeni. However, against the Polish Midfield I have seen, Reyna will be greatly effective IMO. Also, Llamosa has to be smart and wisely man-mark Olisadebe out of the match. I am not thrilled with the prospect of Agoos doing such a task.
Great post, but I would rather Regis play RB against Poland. :eek: (ducking!)

-Kevin

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Sanneh has been quite good though in the first game and he did a solid job against South Korea.

Unless Reyna looks better in practice, I don't think it would be a bad idea to go with another player, perhaps Mastroeini.

L

·
0 Posts
I think that he back line should stay the same with the exception of Agoos, through masterouni in the central back role. The midfield should be left alone , even if earnie stewart is fit. I also think that wolff should get the start up front with mathis. the more speedy players we have the better. Donovan , Beasley on the flanks , and wollf up top with mathis , who no doubt work very well together. And if anything happens we still have mcbride and joe max moore to come in. I also was wondering why Arena didnt use his 3rd sub against korea?? We had plenty of options. But anyway that is my two cents.

·
Registered
541 Posts
This cracks me up. Arena is not going to sit Agoos. This team has progressed as far as it has because Arena is a straight ahead guy. He won't screw Agoos for a couple bad moments in otherwise good games. Goose has played in every qualifier. He played every game for San Jose last year. He's a workhorse. Sometimes a bit slow and he's been victimized for it. But he's a fixture in the back and we're going with him.

Remember, we are building for the future. Don't sabotage the team like Sampson did, by benching the players that got you there.

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doc's right. Arena will not bench Goose unless it's a meaningless match.

As for tearing down Polish defense, we need speedy strikers who can attack from the flanks, especially in the second half when the Poles are tired and slow. I've noticed that their defensive players did a lot of ball watching in the second half in both games that they lost. Bring on Josh Wolff early in the second half may not be a bad idea!

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
Relieved USA just tie away from round of 16

Relieved USA just tie away from round of 16

DAEGU, South Korea —

There are no easy games in the World Cup, but the U.S. team is loving the idea of going into Friday's final first-round match against Poland knowing it can reach the round of 16 with a tie. They are equally enamored of heading to the stadium in Daejeon, in central Korea, for a game that will not be a national obsession, transfixing everyone from the media to sports fans to government leaders. There won't be 60,000 fanatics dressed in red, unfurling flags the size of highway billboards and chanting "Dae han min guk Korea," or "Korea is fighting." Their 1-1 draw Monday with tenacious South Korea can be filed deep into the memory banks, although the ringing in their ears might linger until Friday. "The atmosphere will be different; the opponent will be different, a totally different team," defender Eddie Pope says. "(Poland) is a winnable game. It's going to be hard, but we are certainly in a position to at least advance instead of being out of it." U.S. coach Bruce Arena says he was delighted to "get out of town real quick" with a draw, especially after U.S. goalie Brad Friedel saved a Lee Eul-yong penalty kick in the 40th minute with the USA leading 1-0.

:cool::cap::cool: And as our Southern neighbors always say: "Si Se Puede " .............. Yes USA...Yes..you Can !!!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would like to see Donovan up front. He has never really impressed me in the midfield. Also, if Arena wants to rest McBride then I would go with Moore. He will surely tire out the Polish defenders with his fresh legs. Don't worry about him not scoring, that is what Donovan is for.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
Kerry said:
Don't sabotage the team like Sampson did, by benching the players that got you there.
BTW Sampson is an AWESOME color commentator...and he does it perfectly in Español....Shoot...he must be better in english !!!
I've enjoyed all his commentaries so far in the WC on Spanish Radio...He's truly a great man at that post :)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Cory said:
I would like to see Donovan up front. He has never really impressed me in the midfield. Also, if Arena wants to rest McBride then I would go with Moore. He will surely tire out the Polish defenders with his fresh legs. Don't worry about him not scoring, that is what Donovan is for.
Thank you Cory for backing up what I've said 1,000 times on this board. Donovan gets lost at midfield. He must be upfront.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I like Donvan in midfield. He's got the pace to move into the attack, and we need his help on defense.

I think we need to start a bigger team against Poland. Maybe Cobi in mid. He's got to be 30 lbs on Beasley. Keep McBride and Mathis up top. Then bring on the speed for the last 30 minutes. Arena wants to field a team that can go 90 minutes.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Looks like Stewart will be ready to start, so you pretty much have to assume Bruce will play him.

I think it will be:

Friedel

Sanneh Pope Agoos Heyduk

Stewart Reyna O'Brien Beasley

Mathis McBride

Donovan will come on for McBride
Mastroeni will come on for Reyna
Jones will come on for Stewart

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
According to Tuesday's USA Today, Poland's team chef is punishing the team's poor play by refusing to cook its favorite food. Said Robert Sowa, "I promised them long ago that after each game, I would cook them wonderful zur soup as a reward." The soup is a sour dish that's a favorite in Poland, according to the newspaper.

Sure hope that's not going to be an incentive for the Poles on Friday! :D :dielaugh:

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While there is a distinct possibility that Friday's crowd will be anti-US since a loss by us will push Korea through, there is also a good chance that the crowd may not be as big a factor as previously anticipated!

Korea will play Portugal the same time we play Poland. Many fans may opt to stay home to watch their team on TV instead of going to the US-Poland game!

There are 41,000-plus seats in the Daejeon stadium and organizers fear that fewer than 10,000 will be occupied, even though the match is a sellout. Various solutions have been discussed, including showing the South Korean match on the big in-stadium screen. That, however, would be unfair to the two teams playing since the entire crowd would react and cheer to a different match than the one being played in front of it.

Organizers will probably publicize that they will show first-half highlights of the South Korean game at halftime of the U.S. match and show the entire second half of the Koreans game against Portugal when the Poland-U.S. match concludes. This might not be enough to prevent a worldwide television audience from seeing a majority of the seats at Daejon unoccupied.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Oldsocfan said:
According to Tuesday's USA Today, Poland's team chef is punishing the team's poor play by refusing to cook its favorite food. Said Robert Sowa, "I promised them long ago that after each game, I would cook them wonderful zur soup as a reward." The soup is a sour dish that's a favorite in Poland, according to the newspaper.

Sure hope that's not going to be an incentive for the Poles on Friday! :D :dielaugh:
Reminds me of the "soup Nazi" on Seinfeld :howler:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts