Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Americans are hopping the pond for this friendly on the 17th. We have a good relationship with the States and play them just about every year or so. Usually its in the USA cup but this time there coming to us. The Americans are kind of a weird oponent, for some reason they play brilliantly in exhibitions but don't show that quality in the World Cup. Anyways it should be an interested game, I'm glad we're playing a non-european oponent this time.

Here's the squad for the states:

Brad Friedel (Blackburn Rovers), Kasey Keller (Spurs);Jeff Agoos (San Jose Earthquakes), Gregg Berhalter (Crystal Palace), Eddie Pope (D.C. United), David Regis (F.C.Metz), Tony Sanneh (F.C. Nürnberg ); Chris Armas (Chicago Fire), Frankie Hejduk (Bayer Leverkusen), Eddie Lewis (Fulham), Clint Mathis (MetroStars), John O'Brien (Ajax), Claudio Reyna (Sunderland), Ernie Stewart (NAC Breda); Josh Wolff (Chicago Fire), Landon Donovan (San Jose Earthquakes), Brian McBride (Columbus Crew), Joe-Max Moore ( Everton).

Looks like an A squad for the most part. The States have always played well against us, any predictions?

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Well, I predict that is going to be no walk in the park. The USA have a strong team and it will take alot to beat them. I predict a 2-0 score line but this is really an un-predictable game...:) It could be anything...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup its completely unpredictable. A) The states play well in exhibitions (if this were in the World Cup I'd say 4-0 for us ;) ) B) The USA always plays well against us. Hmmm I'm going to say 2-1 for us, with the vast majority of the play being ours.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Let's hope so, I couldn't stand loosing to the USA. Not to offend any USA fan's but the form we are in now, a loss would be a real shock... It would be a real boost for the USA though...:)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Irish Squad:

Goalkeepers: Given (Newcastle), Kiely (Charlton), Colgan (Hibs)

Defenders: G.Kelly (Leeds), Staunton (Villa), Harte (Leeds), Breen (Coventry), Finnan (Fulham), Dunne (Man City), Cunningham (Wimbledon), O'Brien (Newcastle)

Midfielders: Kinsella (Charlton), McAteer (Blackburn), Holland (Ipswich), Kilbane (Sunderland), Healy (Coventry), Reid (Millwall), Delap (Southampton)

Strikers: Quinn (Sunderland), R.Keane (Leeds), Connolly (Wimbledon), Morrison (Palace), Duff (Blackburn), Sadlier (Millwall)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
NICE LINE UP!!! Too bad there is no Roy Keane...:depress:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quinn and Sadler are out with injuries and Doherty steps back in the fold with an oportunity to play.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
it's great to see doherty is back... :happy:

finally... :proud:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Doherty awarded late call-up - 16/04/2002

Gary Doherty is a late addition to **** McCarthy's squad to face the USA on Wednesday night following the withdrawals of Niall Quinn and Richard Sadlier.

The Tottenham utility man has just recovered from a broken leg and was in the Spurs' squad for Saturday's draw with West Ham. McCarthy said "He was very much in the fold earlier in the campaign and then it seemed like his opportunity was dashed by injury. But he is back in the first team squad at Tottenham and we will see what happens between now and May." The manager went on to say: "He's only getting his chance because of injuries to others, but he's here now and if you're in the squad you have a chance."

McCarthy also had some encouraging words for injured trio, Alan Kelly, Lee Carsley and Mark Kennedy, by insisting that: "the players who got me to the World Cup will be first choice. I have always been loyal to my players, and some people see it as a detriment. I have never seen it as a detriment. I have shown my players loyalty and I have got it back in spades."

The manager will announce his final squad before Niall Quinn's testimonial on May, though, unlike England manager Sven Goran Eriksson, he will wait until after the final Premiership game of the season. "It would be daft to do it before (the season ends) in case somebody gets clobbered," he said.

On the issue of facilitating club managers, McCarthy insisted that he will always assist any manager who rings him. "There are still promotion, relegation and play-off issues to be resolves and I will be sensitive to club's wishes. Before the last game, Bobby Robson asked me to rest Shay Given and had Andy (O'Brien) came over, I would have also rested him." The manger also confirmed that he spoke Blackburn manager Graeme Souness about Damien Duff, and the problem has now been resolved. After last month's match with Denmark, Souness voiced his disapproval that Duff had remained on the pitch for 84 minutes, and McCarthy confirmed the pair spoke on Friday. "The issue is now closed. Graeme and I spoke on Friday and there is no problem at all."

The team trained at the AUL Complex in Clonshaugh on Monday afternoon, and they will have a second session on Tuesday morning, though McCarthy has announced that the session will be closed to the public.

YAY!!!:tongue:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
**** announces team to play USA

**** McCarthy will give Rory Delap the chance to prove himself and make a last gasp bid for a trip to Japan as part of his Republic of Ireland 23 man World Cup 2002 squad.

Also included in the team for the friendly game against Bruce Arena's USA is Celtic youngster Colin Healy, now looking more and more likely to make the final panel.

McCarthy is expecting a competitive outing against the Americans - perhaps more competitive than the last two friendly internationals.

"It'll be a more competitive game against the USA than our last two matches", said McCarthy. "That said, I thinbk we overshadowed Russia and Denmark with the way we played - not that they weren't up for the game."

McCarthy is not concerned about suggestions made by Danish boss Morten Olsen that the Irish team would struggle in the heat In Japan.

"We'll struggle! Denmark will struggle if they play they way they did against us."

"I'm at a loss to understand what people mean by adapt. Yes we play a high tempo game but apart maybe from easing back on the closing down part of our game, we will do what we always do."

"I'm not going to start making excuses about the heat already"

Team: Shay Given(Newcastle United); teve Finnan (Fulham), Andy O'Brien (Newcastle United), Gary Breen (Coventry City), Ian Harte (Leeds United; Rory Delap (Southampton), Mark Kinsella (Charlton Ath), Colin Healy (Celtic), Kevin Kilbane(Sunderland); Damien Duff(Blackburn Rovers), Robbie Keane(Leeds United).

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
International Preview: Republic Of Ireland V USA
Ireland - USA | News Archive

Robbie Keane will lead the line for the Irish (Allsport)
04/16/2002. Injury problems have hampered Ireland manager **** McCarthy's preparations for Wednesday night'd friendly with the United States.

Sunderland's Jason McAteer misses out with a groin injury, while Manchester City's Richard Dunne has pulled a hamstring.

Niall Quinn pulled out earlier in the week, with Roy Keane and Stephen Carr out - the Spurs defender misses the World Cup, Keane will hope not to.

In all, seven changes are made from the side that beat Denmark 3-0 last month. The only survivors from that starting eleven are Leeds United pair Robbie Keane and Ian Harte, Mark Kinsella of Charlton and Blackburn's Damien Duff - man of the match in the Danish match.

Coventry's Premiership-bound defender Gary Breen is captain, while Southampton's Rory Delap makes his first start in two years.

Colin Healy of Celtic was man of the match on his debut against Russia in February, but will probably miss out on the flight to the Far East.

Irish boss McCarthy says he already has his 23-man squad selected, and will make it public on FIFA's May 17 deadline.

As for the United States, it's looking likely that at least six English-based players - and at least four others based in Europe - will features for the US Eagles in the World Cup. Brad Friedel, Brian McBride, Gregg Berhalter, Claudio Reyna, Jovan Kirovski and Joe-Max Moore all either ply their trade in the Premiership or Nationwide Division One.

It's a useful date for the visitors - they meet Ireland's qualifying opponents Portugal in Suwon on June 5, and Poland nine days later.

Both nations have met six times in the past twenty years, with two wins apiece and two draws.

COMPETITIVE FORM
Ireland (competitive) - DWWWWDWWWWL
USA (competitive) - LWLWLWLDWWD

TEAMS
Ireland (Confirmed) - Given (Newcastle), Finnan (Fulham), O'Brien (Newcastle), Breen (Coventry, capt), Harte (Leeds), Delap (Southampton), Kinsella (Charlton), Healy (Celtic), Kilbane (Sunderland), Duff (Blackburn), Keane (Leeds).

USA (Probable) - Friedel, Berhalter, Pope, Agoos, Sanneh, Jones, O'Brien, Reyna, Stewart, Moore, Kirovski

soccerage

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Wednesday, April 17, 2002
Full-time: Ireland 2 - 1 United States
Soccernet.com

Gary Doherty came off the bench to score the winner and leave Republic boss **** McCarthy with something to think about as he finalises his 23-man squad for the World Cup finals.

Mark Kinsella celebrates Ireland's opening goal
(RossKinnaird/Allsport)
Tottenham star Doherty has had a miserable season, having missed seven months after breaking his ankle in September.

But he popped up after 84 minutes - 14 minutes after replacing Gary Breen - and met Steve Staunton's free-kick with a downward header at the far post to beat Spurs team-mate Kasey Keller in the USA goal.

McCarthy has virtually made up his mind about the squad to take to Korea and Japan - barring last-minute injuries of course.

But the fact Doherty can play as either a centre-forward or centre-half may just land him a place on the plane.

However, McCarthy may have ruled out Newcastle defender Andy O'Brien and Southampton midfielder Rory Delap from his World Cup plans after this friendly.

The jury is also out on Celtic midfielder Colin Healy - currently playing his football on loan at Coventry - who may yet also gatecrash the squad.

This match at Lansdowne Road was a chance for those three fringe players to try and snatch a place in the Irish squad.

O'Brien was taken off at half-time although that will be partly due to the fact that his club are involved in a fight for a Champions League place.

Delap and Healy got the full 90 minutes under their belts. Delap worked hard without making a great impact, although it was difficult down the wing on a rain-sodden pitch.

But Healy put in another battling performance in the centre of midfield and can go away satisfied.

The Republic made a dream start by scoring after only five minutes.

Fulham skipper Steve Finnan made a surging run down the right and delivered a teasing cross into the six-yard box where Charlton's Mark Kinsella hooked home a volley for his third international goal.

That super strike took the Republic's tally under McCarthy to 98 goals in what was his 60th game in charge. Doherty's late strike was to leave them one goal away from the ton.

Football may not be one of the main national sports in the USA, but their team are no mugs, and in their last two friendlies they lost narrowly to Italy and Germany. They are also five places above the Republic at 13 in the FIFA world rankings.

The Americans showed a glimpse of their talent after eight minutes when Clint Mathis let fly from 25 yards and Shay Given produced a wonderful flying save to tip the ball over his bar.

Kinsella came within inches of scoring a second goal after 25 minutes.

Robbie Keane did well down the left and sent a cross into the six-yard box. Kinsella dived full length to try and head it home, but just failed to reach the ball and Jeff Agoos made the clearance.

There was an exciting moment after 31 minutes when Keane's through-ball almost let in Duff on the edge of the box, but Friedel was out swiftly to deny his Blackburn colleague and clear with his legs.

The Americans enjoyed a spell of pressure soon after when they forced successive corners, and from the second one they grabbed a 34th-minute equaliser.

John O'Brien curled in a cross from their left and Eddie Pope slipped past Delap to beat Given with a downward header into the far corner.

There were wholesale changes at half-time with McCarthy making six changes and his American counterpart Bruce Arena making five.

Off for the Republic went Finnan, Harte, O'Brien, Kinsella, Duff and Kevin Kilbane. On came Kenny Cunningham, David Connolly, Gary Kelly, Matt Holland, Steve Staunton and Steven Reid.

The USA took off Friedel, Berhalter, O'Brien, Stewart and Brian McBride. On came Kasey Keller, Greg Vanney, Eddie Lewis, Landon Donovan and Moore.

McCarthy had promised not to overdo it with players who were involved in important fixtures for their clubs at the weekend, and he was true to his word with those changes.

Keane did well again after 65 minutes when he beat two men and played the ball wide on the right to Delap, but his cross was too close to Keller, who made the catch.

Despite plenty of effort, it was not the best of matches for the likes of Delap to make an impression on his manager, and the numerous substitutions interrupted the flow.

Perhaps the most telling change came after 70 minutes when Doherty came on for skipper Breen.

The big man settled into the defence, but made his mark 14 minutes later with the goal which extended the Republic's run to one defeat in 20 matches and 11 unbeaten at Lansdowne Road.

soccernet

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Late goal wins it for Ireland - 18/04/2002

A late Gary Doherty goal earned Ireland a 2-1 victory over the USA at a rain sodden Lansdowne Road on Wednesday night.

The Tottenham defender headed home Steve Staunton's free kick after 83 minutes to send the 39,000 fans home happy, as they saw Ireland notch up their third successive victory of 2002.

Heavy rain on Wednesday meant that the Lansdowne Road surface was in poor condition. With the ball often getting held up in puddles, the match was never going to be a classic, but both teams acquitted themselves well after a cagey opening. Ireland dominated possession in the opening few minutes while getting to grips with the soggy surface.

Rory Delap's tame effort was easily saved by Brad Friedel after three minutes, but the American goalkeeper was helpless three minutes later when Mark Kinsella started and finished a fine move to give Ireland the lead. The Charlton midfielder set Delap free on the right and he then fed the overlapping Steve Finnan to send over a perfect cross for Kinsella to volley past Friedel.

It was the Dubliner's third Ireland goal and his best yet. The USA could have been level moments later when Shay Given was forced to turn away Clint Mathis' 25-yard pile driver. At the other end, Robbie Keane and Damien Duff were causing the visitors plenty of problems and they were repeatedly fouled, though Ireland failed to test Friedel from any of the free kicks that they won.

Despite their difficulties with handling Duff and Keane, the USA were also causing problems of their own. In midfield, Claudio Reyna was finding plenty of space to weave his magic and it came as no surprise when Bruce Arena's men drew level, though the nature of the goal would have annoyed **** McCarthy. John O'Brien swung over a corner and Eddie Pope rose above Delap to head past Given.

Ireland pressed forward, but yet again, found no way past Gregg Berhalter and Pope, and it was the visitors who had the final chance of the first half when Mathis fired wide from the edge of the area when unmarked. Both sides made a spate of substitutions at half time, but rather than dilute the action, it only intensified it as both sides pressed for a winning goal.

Ireland almost took the lead after just one minute when Rory Delap saw his powerful header saved by Kasey Keller after David Connolly had flicked on Robbie Keane's cross. As the half wore on, Ireland began to take control with Keane and Healy asserting themselves though USA substitute Josh Wolff should have put the visitors ahead after 65 minutes when Greg Vanney's cross found him unmarked in the box.

However, the Chicago Fire man could only head straight at Given. Ireland then had a number of half chances with Delap heading over under a tough challenge by Pope and Reid firing wide from 25 yards. However, Ireland got a deserved winner with seven minutes remaining when Doherty rose above Tony Sanneh to head Staunton's right wing cross past Keller.

The USA had a number of opportunities to equalise in the closing minutes with Wolff forcing an excellent save out of Given with a powerful volley.

Teams:

Republic of Ireland: Given (Newcastle United), Finnan (Fulham), O'Brien (Newcastle United), Breen (Coventry), Harte (Leeds United), Delap (Southampton), Kinsella (Charlton), Healy (Coventry), Kilbane (Sunderland), Robbie Keane (Leeds United), Duff (Blackburn). Subs: Cunningham (Wimbledon) for O'Brien, Connolly (Wimbledon) for Duff, Kelly (Leeds United) for Finnan, Holland (Ipswich) for Kinsella, Staunton (Aston Villa) for Harte, Reid (Millwall) for Kilbane (All half time), Doherty (Tottenham) for Breen (71 minutes), Morrison (Crystal Palace) for Keane (83 minutes).

USA: Friedel, Sanneh, Pope, Berhalter, Agoos, Reyna, Stewart, Armas, O'Brien, McBride, Mathis. Subs: Lewis for O'Brien, Vanney for Berhalter, Moore for McBride, Keller for Friedel, Donovan for Stewart (All half time), Wolff for Mathis (63 minutes), Hejduk for Reyna (71 minutes).

YAY!!! Nice goal. Even if it was a little late... And Romire got the score - line right...

:)

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Congrats to Ireland! Your team is physical, powerful, full of skilled players and latents. No wonder you guys kicked Holland out of WC! It will be a major disappointment if you guys don't advance out of the prelimary!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Im not biased, but I do think Ireland are a better team. But in the Fifa Rankings, the USA are above Ireland. USA being 13th, Ireland being 18th.

What gives Leo??

W

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I called it, 2-1 (pats self on back). And our run continues on. Wow Doherty getting a goal, Doherty! Great game from Healy as I understand. Well ***** got some hard decisions to make but its better to be in a position where you have a tough time making the squad decision because you have TOO much talent as oposed to the decision being easy out of a lack of talent. The USA once again putting forth a solid performance against us.

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Another big kudos to our Irish brothers! :star:

Irish players donated about $300,000 -- their pay from a recent game -- to victims of last September's terrorist attacks. "I want to mention how extremely touched we were by the generous donation made by the Irish players in supporting the firefighters and policemen in New York," US coach Arena said. "I can't put into words how thankful we are for that gesture. It was absolutely magnificent."

Good luck in the WC! :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts