Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Jersey judge clears way for US-Brazil soccer

July 9, 2002

HACKENSACK, N.J. (AP) -- World champion Brazil might be coming to the Giants Stadium for a game against the U.S. national team.

A Superior Court judge on Tuesday cleared the way for the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority to promote a match next month between the World Cup champions and the United States.

The New York-New Jersey MetroStars asked Judge Marguerite Simon for an injunction to prevent the authority from promoting soccer games at the stadium on Aug. 8 and 21. The MetroStars maintained their contract with the authority, the stadium's landlord, gave the MLS team exclusive rights to promote games there.

MetroStars general manager Nick Sakiewicz said the team plans to appeal the ruling.

Sports Authority president George Zoffinger hopes to finalize plans shortly for exhibition games next month between Real Madrid and AS Roma, and another between Brazil and the United States.

Sakiewicz said the MetroStars have nothing against a game between Brazil and the United States, but the team is the only one with the legal right to promote the match.

``If we're involved, the sports authority makes less money,'' Sakiewicz said. ``This is a tactic on their part to make more money by violating our lease.''

Sakiewicz also expressed doubt the U.S. Soccer Federation would approve a match between Brazil and the United States.

``US-Brazil is not going to happen,'' Sakiewicz said. ``They are going to look like dummies.''

Zoffinger said the authority only looked into promoting more games after the MetroStars refused to let them promote a charity game between Celtic of Scotland and AC Milan in May.

``We're really excited about the prospect of some of these international games,'' Zoffinger said. ``At the same time, the MLS and the MetroStars remain an important presence at Giants Stadium. We feel this international presence will help them.''

Sakiewicz said the MetroStars have been working hard to promote other unspecified exhibitions on those dates.

``Unfortunately, we'll have to move forward and try to bring them to another stadium, much like we already have to do with our playoff games,'' Sakiewicz said.

An August game in NY ???? :cool:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
those morons may also have the political clout to block any future move by the 'starz to develope their own "football" complex.

Competition, you see, is a Bit*h.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Any Update

First of all I want to apoligize for not posting in the last week or so. My hardrive crashed a few days ago so i have not had a computer to use for the last few days
But back to the topic. Is there any update on this. I know that before the World Cup started that the USSF wanted to get a 9/11 match against the champions. Is this what is planned out for this game , or is this just happen to be that the USSF wants to get a friendly scheduled against Brazil who happen to have been the champions. If anyone knows anything , please let me know

1 - 4 of 4 Posts