Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

CD CHIVAS GUADALAJARA vs FC BARCELONA

Soldier Field (Chicago, IL. USA) -61000 seats | Mon, Aug 4 01:00 AM (CET // Sun, Aug 3 06:00 PM in Chicago

Barcelona go back to the USA for another tour to meet the fans of the other side of the Atlantic ocean.

After the good image and results of the first part of the pre-season, the team will continue preparing the upcoming season against rivals of a certain level. This time we face the Mexican club of Guadalajara, Chivas.

After some debates about "Messi-dependence", the team will have to proof that they can show the same good image without the Argentinian, since this is the most possible scenario for the CL qualifiers.

Let's hope to see another good game from our team.

SOM-HI BARÇA!

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Good CL warm up. Chivas is not too bad of a team and I suppose with all the Mexicans in Chicago it should be a rather pro-Chivas environment.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Atletico suffered in their Mexican tour and I think they didn't win any game. Let's see what we do.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Wiki said:
The city is named after the Spanish city of Guadalajara, whose name originates from the Arabic phrase (وادي الحجارة) Wādī al-Ḥijārah, meaning "samuel Eto'o must stay" or "valley of stones".[
that was random information of the day. enjoy!:D

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Good CL warm up. Chivas is not too bad of a team and I suppose with all the Mexicans in Chicago it should be a rather pro-Chivas environment.
It is. I was in that stadium for the Chivas-Madrid game and they bring their whole ultra group to the stadium. It's interesting for sure, almost their biggest game of the year.

·
Messiah
9,580 Posts
Lets crash them.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey this is my team in Mexico. :tongue:

In the off-season Chivas have sold 2 important players. "Maza" Rodriguez to PSV and Omar Bravo to Deportivo. Although they do have this young forward Omar Arellano who's been looking pretty good lately.

Should be an entertaining match.

·
Banned
5,292 Posts
el patron: Chivas always seem to produce good youngsters.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW, I had a different idea of the Soldier stadium. I think Spain played there against Germany in the WC 94. Is it the same stadium? It's TOTALLY different.

Aside this anecdote, I want to see Eto'o back in the team. I wish he speaks on the pitch again.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A bit? I just made some google research about this and it has nothing to do with the stadium I remembered. :D

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I guess they renovated it quite well.

Were you at the stadium at that time, '94 WC?
No, but I had a friend who lived there and gave me a postal card with a pic of the stadium. It was long ago and I have no idea where the postal card is, but when I looked for the pic to start the thread, I was surprised to see the current view of the stadium.

In North America, I've only been in the Ralph Wilson stadium, the Buffalo Bills' home and the Rogers Center of Toronto, in Canada.

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
Damn. Now I won't get to see Messi. At least I can scare the shit out of Henry. He's going to beg for a transfer after the Chicago match. Actually I may be on my best behaviour that day.

Meh, the stadium doesn't look much different than the last time I was there (Derby County tour). The before that there were the Dead shows. :hangover:

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
So according to Sport, Pep wants to try playing a 3-4-3 formation...

I think Sport suggested it would look something like this (although I stopped paying attention when I saw where they had D.Alves):

Valdes

D.Alves - Puyol - Cáceres

Márquez

Iniesta --- Keita

Xavi

Bojan - Henry - Pedro​

Awesome, just awesome...

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
So according to Sport, Pep wants to try playing a 3-4-3 formation...

I think Sport suggested it would look something like this (although I stopped paying attention when I saw where they had D.Alves):

Valdes

D.Alves - Puyol - Cáceres

Márquez

Iniesta --- Keita

Xavi

Bojan - Henry - Pedro​

Awesome, just awesome...
I would definitely use this formation against teams who come to the Camp Nou and park the bus. It would be interesting looking at how Guardiola is going to make this work, it failed miserably with Rijkaard. But due to all the physical work all the players are doing in comparison to last season, the only way for this formation to work properly you need the entire team to attack and defend in tandem.

I hope (sort of sure now) as well that Guardiola is going to give some of the B team players some minutes during the season. Someone like Pedro would be a great sub for Silva or however joins us to fill that void.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Ridiculous

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I would definitely use this formation against teams who come to the Camp Nou and park the bus.
Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but personally I'd never use the 3-4-3 anymore. I think it's close to being one of those obsolete formations that are no longer suitable for the modern game - like the old 3-3-4 or 4-2-4. And I'd certainly never use it with a back three of Dani Alves, Puyol, and Cáceres. It'd be a big waste of Dani's abilities to ask him to do that much defensive work.

At the end of the day though these formations are just labels and they don't tell the whole story about how a team will actually function on the pitch - they just offer the rough framework.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts