Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be played a week from today in Cary, NC. I unfortunately will not be able to see the game since I will be in Costa Rica that week. I think we should probably win, and this could be a good confidence booster after the defeat by Germany. I don't see some of Jamaica's top players here, such as Euell and McAnuff, but they do have some foreign based players from English lower divisions, the MLS, and even one from Sweden.

Jamaica Roster

Goalkeepers: Donovan Ricketts (Bradford City, England), Shawn Sawyers (Portmore United)

Defenders: Claude Davis (Preston North End, England), Omar Daley (Portmore United), Garfield Reid (Waterhouse), Damion Stewart (Bradford City, England), Demar Stewart (Portmore United), Oneil Thompson (Boys Town)

Midfielders: Jamal Campbell-Ryce (Rotherham, England), Fabian Dawkins (Harbour View), Jermaine Hue (Kansas City, MLS), Jason Morrison (Portmore United)

Forwards: Ryan Johnson (Salt Lake, MLS), Teofore Bennett (Village United), Newton Sterling (Village United), Khari Stephenson (GAIS, Sweden), Jermaine Johnson (Tivoli)

I don't know much about this side, it looks like more of an experimental side as all Premier League and Championship players (with the exception of Claude Davis) are not in the squad. I imagine Ryan Johnson could pose a threat up front and Campbell-Ryce could hit us on the wings.

USA Roster

Goalkeepers (2) – Tony Meola (New York Red Bulls), Matt Reis (New England Revolution)
Defenders (5) – Chris Albright (Los Angeles Galaxy), Nick Garcia (Kansas City Wizards), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids), Eddie Pope (Real Salt Lake)
Midfielders (7) – Clint Dempsey (New England Revolution), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Pat Noonan (New England Revolution), John O’Brien (out of contract), Ben Olsen (D.C. United), Steve Ralston (New England Revolution), Kerry Zavagnin (Kansas City Wizards)
Forwards (4) – Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Eddie Johnson (Kansas City Wizards), Taylor Twellman (New England Revolution), Josh Wolff (Kansas City Wizards)

This is a special game for Meola as even though he is well past it, he is receiving his 100th cap for the United States, as the keeper situation is pretty much settled, with Keller, Howard, and Hahnemann being the top three for the WC, though we will have to see how Matt Reis performs before we can say for certain. We have a solid squad all around. My lineup prediction is:

Twellman-Johnson
Ralston-O'Brien-Dempsey-Donovan
Albright-Pope-Mastroeni-Hejduk
Meola

I imagine Meola will probably be subbed at halftime for Reis.

3-1 to the USA.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I think Meola will stay on the whole match

ya gotta respect that guy, he had a GREAT performance in 1994 :)

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree he definitely deserves to stay on the whole time, but this is also the last match before Arena names his squad, so Reis might want and/or get a crack for a half. I think it would be pretty cool if Meola could leave us with some memorable saves (though that would say something about our defense...).

·
Registered
471 Posts
I wish Meola was still our keeper. I saw highlights of him from 2005 where he shutout a team and it was basically him doing all of hte work. He was insanely good.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's in the MLS though, he is not being challenged at a higher level like our other top keepers are. He is also well past his prime just like Keller will be at the next WC.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
yup dempsey has to start in da wc...very gd effective dribbler , a rare breed here

Donovon was gd , Olsen is better than zavagin

Ching , raltson , Noonan , Albrite , twellman...u guyz stay home and I also dont think wolff will go...he hasnt done anything lately. He sux and arena has to know dat. Eddie has to get back to form n Obrien stay healthy and get in shape :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
1-1 I missed it because I had practice but a goal in the 6th and 27th seems like it was a boreing game....And a 1-1 tie with the reggae boys ummmm not what the USA should be doing to prep for the WC

No good status

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Despite the result, the US dominated. And them Jamaicans are DIRTY! Man I dont think I saw 1 clean tackle all night, and all that time wasting. To be honest, I just think the US was trying to not get injured. Take into consideration that most of the US squad played MLS matches a couple days ago.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Jamaica play the same way they have from jump. Bruce knew what he was getting into when he/US soccer made the match. It was going to be physical, hard tackling.

They had 11 men behind the ball for 80+ minutes, but were still able to jump US at the start (4 min). All in all, just a worthless mission. Again, the match showed how poor OUR depth is.

Meola, thanks for the memories...
Pope was solid. He was out of position on the goal, but Albright and Hejduk should have dealt with it.
Hejduk is a liability. He can't tackle, and if he starts in the WC we will be playing a man short at some time during the match ...
Albright, maybe next time. An offensive weapon, but a liability on "D"...
Pablo showed his limitations playing at the back, a poor match for him...
Donovan disapeared, again ... Good on counters, but just didn't show for the rest of the match.
Noonan could not get around the Jamaican backs; he was pounded mercilessly all match. He must be black & blue today.
Ralston, sorry guy. I know this was your last chance, but ...
Dempsey is better.
Olson was man of the match, inspite of the goal he scored, which was a joke. Any good 2nd division keeper would have stopped it.
O'Brien had some good touches. He just need to get match fit.
Wolff... I don't know if this guy will make the final 23. He always gets chances, he just rearly puts them away.
Johnson, again he Twellman, & Ching had to play deep because they had no service from the midfield. Good touches, ran at defenders .. nothing to show for his efforts.
Ching, see Johnson. He needs better service to be more effective.
Twellman, Physical, but was out played. The Ching/Johnson 2nd half tandum was better, IMHO.

Just an all around poor performance by the boys ...

·
Registered
219 Posts
I saw that whole game, it was an embarassing peformance by the US, they were clearly outplayed by Jamaica. There goal was lucky, too, there was confusion on the jamaican team and there was a goalie mistake on top of that (he kneeled for the ball and it went right off his hands and in). If the US wants to play like that in the world cup, they better forget about advancing and just hope they dont get embarrased like the saudis last wc...

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was in Costa Rica all week and missed the game, but it seems as if I didn't miss much. We still have a number of friendlies left against other teams, and we should also remember we have beaten better teams such as Norway and Japan in these types of games, so we certainly have the capability to do well, we just didn't show it here.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Golshani said:
I saw that whole game, it was an embarassing peformance by the US, they were clearly outplayed by Jamaica. There goal was lucky, too, there was confusion on the jamaican team and there was a goalie mistake on top of that (he kneeled for the ball and it went right off his hands and in). If the US wants to play like that in the world cup, they better forget about advancing and just hope they dont get embarrased like the saudis last wc...
Wheres the part about Jamaica fouling like crazy? They pulled a Mexico. Thats the last thing we want, is having one our best assets getting injured by a friendly against Jamaica. Yes we played poor, but Jamaica have nothing to lose. We have everything to lose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts