Xtratime Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
That sucks. I was really hoping the U.S. would even put on a decent display even if they didn't win. It's important for football in North America that the U.S. doesn't bomb. Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
From a strategy standpoint, I think it's wise. As mentioned earlier, why risk losing Mathis and Reyna for the tournament if they might not beat/draw with Portugal with them? With them they should beat Poland and might have a shot vs. Korea (although that would be a good game). Good strategy for Arena, and I hope it works, as it would be good for American soccer to see them get to the second round (or better).

For the record, I am all set with the ignorant American press going on about Portugal being "susceptible in the back". Helloooo? Couto makes world-class strikers the likes of Trezeguet, Vieri and Schevchenko look like fools on a weekly basis in Serie A. Sure - Beasley and Donovan will be a force: in 2006. Couto is going to make Beasley his b!tch (poor DeMarcus is only 125 lbs - lightest player in the tournament) tomorrow, and Donovan can expect an elbow (or 17) to the nose from Jorge Costa in the box.

They will pack it in in back and hope for the draw - but Portugal has played too many qualifying games against the Estonias, Cypruses, and the like to let that stand in their way of three points.

Portugal 4 USA 0

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
As a Portuguese-American I am torn. Damn, I wanted a draw between Korea & Poland. That's optimal between USA and Portugal. Well, here we go. Portugal beats USA 2-0 or maybe 3-0 to let Korea know group D goes through them and not the home team.

Menawhile, Korea loses next game 1-0 to USA while Portugal gives the Poles something to write the Pope about with a 3-0 shilacking!

Next up, USA beats Poland as well 2-1. Portugal beats Korea 2-0 and tell's Korea it's not your time.

Final Tally:

Portugal

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Donovan can expect an elbow (or 17) to the nose from Jorge Costa in the box.
I wish I'd written that. ;)

I don't like to make predictions - being a superstitious bastard - but I confess that I'm expecting Portugal to have a good game. Anything could happen in this sport, so here's hoping our boys are sharp, well rested, and get some good officiating. For the rest, I'm willing to trust their skills and ability.

Just watching Belgium - Japan. Holy ****! Sleepy game up till about the 55 minute then BOOM! Haven't missed a game yet! Am lovin it.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Tinto said:

I wish I'd written that. ;)

I don't like to make predictions - being a superstitious bastard - but I confess that I'm expecting Portugal to have a good game. Anything could happen in this sport, so here's hoping our boys are sharp, well rested, and get some good officiating. For the rest, I'm willing to trust their skills and ability.

Just watching Belgium - Japan. Holy ****! Sleepy game up till about the 55 minute then BOOM! Haven't missed a game yet! Am lovin it.
Nice Tinto...I've missed one which was the Sunday morning game for us at 4:30a.m. I just couldn't hang!

But I will be with about 1,000 other Prok Chops tonight at 2a.m. at the Prok Chop hall in Little Portugal in San Jose for the kick-off of USA v Portugal!

Forca Portugal :fero:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Ive only missed the Italy vs Ecuador match which I heard wasnt much anyways. Italy scored 2 goals and then shut-up-shop.

Me thinks Italy will go far in this tournament - but phuk their boring to watch.

Korea looked menacing tongith against a weak Poland, the home team will most likel;y be our toughest game in the qualifyin rounds

G

·
Well if there is a repeat of todays performance we will lose 8-0!!! We have lost the game anyway now we will be lucky if we get a point from this group!!:(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts