Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Campioni del Mondo, Campioni del Mondo!!" Nando Martellini cried out into his microphone, as Dino Zoff lifted the coveted title into the Spanish summer sky.

Dino Zoff (Captain)
Antonio Cabrini
Claudio Gentile
Gaetano Scirea
Marco Tardelli
Paolo Rossi

What do they have in common, you might be wondering? They were all Juventini at the time.

12 years on (2 World Cup disappointments later I might add), a certain Arrigo Sacchi thought that a recipe for success would mean to blend the players of the best Italian team in its era (AC Milan, without a doubt), along with other 'hot picks' from around the country. An opening defeat to Ireland, and the rest of the one-man-show campaign tells the rest of the story.

However, the irony of this story is that all the players that were hyped up to do well in the tournament, all flopped and only 3 players emerged as world class - Gianluca Pagliuca, Dino Baggio and Roberto Baggio. The latter two were Juventino, and of course proved to be the most crucial members of the squad.

Not to take away anything from the six Milanisti who were picked, of course they were the cream of the crop. HOWEVER, IMO, there could have been better picks out there, as usual from the best club in Italy at the time, who went on conquer everything in site 1994 onwards:

Gianluca Vialli - I'd take him ANY DAY instead of OVERRATED Daniele Massaro (whom I had the pleasure of bumping into a couple weeks ago :D )

Fabrizio Ravanelli - The white feather. His goals contributed to Juventus' success in both domestic and European competition.

Angelo Di Livio - The most graceful winger in his PRIME during the mid-90s. Famous for his trademark run dribble and sweep move, quick. Idiots like Trapattoni only noticed him by 2002. He'd have done a MUCH better job than Mauro Tassotti.

Ciro Ferrara - With previous WC experience, was shockingly omitted from the squad.

Massimo Carrera - Solid rock defender with good Serie A experience.

Moreno Toricelli - One of the most versatile defenders I've seen in my life. Can play anywhere in defence, preferably on the left. IMO he was the second best in left back position after Paolo Maldini.

and last but not least...Angelo Peruzzi. Please noone tell me about Luca Bucci. He got worse with age...:rolleyes: :wallbang:

All of these players would have gone a step further and won the World Cup. Not the likes of Nicola Berti, Roberto Mussi, and Luigi Appalling.

*takes a deep breath*

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Yeah
Milan players have conspired not to let Italy win anything

Serena and Donadoni missed penalties in 90
Baggio missed in 94 who later went on to join Milan, along with Massaro and Baresi
Albertini missed in 98

But surely the penalties are harder than the one on one chances a certain Juventino missed in Euro 2000.

And by the way, how would the inclusion of the players he mentioned make us win the penalty shootout.

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Haider said:
But surely the penalties are harder than the one on one chances a certain Juventino missed in Euro 2000.

And by the way, how would the inclusion of the players he mentioned make us win the penalty shootout.
Geez I wonder, and that certain Milanisti who was hyped up to work wonders given his ONE-OFF good night in Athens, May 1994. What about his chances that were missed in WC 1994?

Oh yeah, he's not a Juventino so it's ok for the media not to condemn him. :rolleyes:

As for the shootouts I mentioned nothing about them in my post. I never said that Juventini would have changed the fate of the 1994 shootout, don't be ridiculous! I was saying that Italy would have had more depth had Sacchi chosen some of the players in that list. :)

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Rhizoid said:
Ciro Ferrara - With previous WC experience, was shockingly omitted from the squad.

Massimo Carrera - Solid rock defender with good Serie A experience.

Moreno Toricelli - One of the most versatile defenders I've seen in my life. Can play anywhere in defence, preferably on the left. IMO he was the second best in left back position after Paolo Maldini.
Please explain how three supposed bench players in the team would make the team win the tournament.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Your thread doesn't make sense. Italy in 82 were not good until the second round and Italy 94 lost the final on penalties. They could just aswell have won. The Milan players in WC 94 weren't that bad either. Your point is like saying that Cabrini was better then Maldini and Scirea better then Baresi cause they won. I don't think Players like Carrera and Ravanelli and Vialli would have made much diffrence, honstely. Signori and Zola should have played much more though, They were both better then Massaro. Di Livio had just made his debut season for Juve in 94, Torricelli could have been in perhaps but we had too many good defenders back then.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Rhizoid said:
"Gianluca Vialli - I'd take him ANY DAY instead of OVERRATED Daniele Massaro (whom I had the pleasure of bumping into a couple weeks ago :D )
Pity he turned down his selection among the 22 together with Mancini.

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Diavolo said:
Pity he turned down his selection among the 22 together with Mancini.
Yeah coz they both knew Sacchi was a hopeless twat! Euro 96 anyone? :irritate:

Dino Zoff was the man. 7 Juventini in Euro 2000, probably the best ever Italy squad in ages! Only for Berlusconi to give his opinion. Moron. :groan:

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Rhizoid said:
Dino Zoff was the man. 7 Juventini in Euro 2004, probably the best ever Italy squad in ages! Only for Berlusconi to give his opinion. Moron. :groan:
Went out inthe group stage and you blame one little comment from Berlusconi on that. :D Those little Juventini must be really mentally weak. :D

the aquad would have been a succes if they used Inzaghi and played like Milan. Instead they used Del Bottler and played like Juve and crashed out convincingly.

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JKris said:
Went out inthe group stage and you blame one little comment from Berlusconi on that. :D Those little Juventini must be really mentally weak. :D

the aquad would have been a succes if they used Inzaghi and played like Milan. Instead they used Del Bottler and played like Juve and crashed out convincingly.
I stand corrected, for one thing - Euro 2004 was a TYPO, I'll correct that - I meant 7 Juventini for Euro 2000. My bad :)

Mentally weak? Hell if anyone was mentally weak and couldn't handle the fact that a Juventino symbol made the best possible Azzurri selection in a long time, it would have to be Berlusconi! He had absolutely no grounds for argument was clearly talking out of his ass: "Zidane was given too much space." I wonder if his royal highness watched the game and happened to notice that that was Zizou's WORST game in the entire Euro 2000 tournament!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
And guess who was the midfield marshal in that game - thats right ALBERTINI
And guess who fluffed those chances - thats right - Del Piero

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haider said:
And guess who was the midfield marshal in that game - thats right ALBERTINI
And guess who fluffed those chances - thats right - Del Piero
Your point? Should we play some more blame game? Like Cannavaro mishandling the ball as he tried to chest it down which led to Wiltord's equalizer? Or Toldo not reacting quickly enough? :rollani:

·
Registered
46,336 Posts
Rhizoid said:
Luigi Appalling.
Luigi who??? :pp

Apolloni was not so bad.

However, I cannot support your thesis.
The block of Juventus in 1982 had a meaning and so the block of Milan in 1994 when in the end we failed the target just after PKs.
Vialli could be there but it was a consequence of his own choices to be in another place. I have been a fan of Vialli but I'm not sure that he always did the right thing and infact I think that he could do something different in order to get a place in that WC for sure. He was much better than Casiraghi and Massaro, there is no doubt about that, but he behaved like a prick.
Ravanelli was good but nothing special, Ferrara was not strictly needed, Di Livio and Torricelli were not better than other players convoked, Carrera (eh eh eh, please!).
Mussi was nothing special, yet, remeber who assisted Baggio for the decisive goal vs Nigeria in the loss time. Then Baggio scored again in the Xtratime thanks to a PK gained by Benarrivo.
Berti was a disappointment and I don't know why Sacchi put him at left midfield in the final since he was overdone, so overdone that I could hardly think worse players on the bench, and out of his natural position...

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Rhizoid said:
I stand corrected, for one thing - Euro 2004 was a TYPO, I'll correct that - I meant 7 Juventini for Euro 2000. My bad :)
Best players in that team was IMO Canna, Nesta, Toldo, Albertini and Totti. None of them played in Juventus. Actually the supposed 7 Juventini you talk about made such fortgettable performances that I hardly can remember which ones where there... Except Del Bottler.

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
:heart: ROBERTO MUSSI, ANTONIO BENARRIVO:heart::heart::heart::heart:, LUIGI APOLLONI, LUCA BUCCI:heart::heart::heart: ...this was football i loved, not this fuking football that there is now, full of players interested only in money , girls and discoteque:yuck:

I muss u guys:cry:

·
Registered
625 Posts
JKris said:
Best players in that team was IMO Canna, Nesta, Toldo, Albertini and Totti. None of them played in Juventus. Actually the supposed 7 Juventini you talk about made such fortgettable performances that I hardly can remember which ones where there... Except Del Bottler.
That's right.
Del Bottler was always there, how sad. :wallbang:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
back in the nineties, italy beneffited hugely from having the best league in the world then. for midfield and attack, the team could have been: conte (whom i rate higher than albertini), donadoni (or zola), d baggio, mancini, il divino and vialli (or lombardo). instead we saw the likes of berti, massaro and casiraghi get playing time.

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JKris said:
So I take it you judge DP mainly on his two misses at the Euro 2000 final? The same applies to Roby Baggio's PK miss as well, I suppose? Everyone has their ups and downs, it just so happens that DP has always underperformed with the NT, while he's accomplished everything possible with Juve both pre-Friuli injury and afterwards.

To get back on topic though, given that your 'selective memory' chooses not to remember the 7 Juventini in the Euro 2000 NT:

Ferrara, Iuliano, Pessotto, Conte, Zambrotta, DP, Inzaghi.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts