Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the game just ended , I followed it on the US webiste Beasley scored in the dying seconds to give us the win and Donovan scored in the 35th minute or so , we had a man advantage the last 35 minutes and keller saved a pk in the 1st half , that is all I really know for know because the on line commentary is not very specific at all so i really dont know who and how everyone performed as soon as i get a match report i will post it .

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Great result for the US!!!!!:D

I guess the 3rd will be deciding one eh?:)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
NOT A GOOD GAME ...

... for the US, but a win is a win. If they had lost, I (we) would be picking them apart.

Keller was barely tested; he had to make only two meaningful stops the entire game, including the penalty kick, even though Korea has most of the play all day.

Hajduk... stick a fork in him, he DONE!!! This one is a no brainier for Bruce, the kid has lost it. The lack of playing time was evident for the kid. He was a COMPLETE liability at right back, so much so that the Koreans lost all respect for him and stopped covering him, after they went down a man. His forays up field was tentative, his crosses vacant, he kept giving his teammates hospital passes... HE THROUGH.

Calif was solid, but he always seems to make 1 big mistake in every game he plays, this on almost cost the team ... a 7 min penalty. He'd better buy Keller a beer.

Bocanegra was solid. He made few mistakes that I can remember. The kid has a future.

Lewis didn't show much, but since he was on offence, and the team barely attacked, he didn't look as bad as Hajduk. He still on the bubble, but sliding fast off the charts.

Everyone else was ordinary. Jones needed to start, they needed a stronger right back, expect Mastroeni to see some playing time against Cuba. Though he has been listed as a midfielder, expect to see him at right back. Bruce subbed Beasley late and he linked well with Jones and Donovan.

Bruce will have some decisions to make for the game against Cuba. All in a win is a win, but the team played very poorly, if it was 11-v-11, the best they could have done, IMHO, was a draw.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I saw the game

The U.S. won but they played like sh*t. An almost embarrassing performance. S. Korea deserved the win.

Here's the starting lineup as I recall it:

Keller
Bocanegra, Califf, Agoos, Hejdk
Armas, Donovan, Lagos, Lewis
Ratzov, McBride

Despite the snowy weather, I trooped over to a sports bar showing the match. The place was packed with U.S. fans but they were silent most of the time as the U.S. played a disorganized, listless match. Korea dominated the first 20 minutes and was unlucky not to score. The U.S. finally woke up and had about 12 good minutes that ended in the goal by Donovan. Ratzov led Donovan with a nice pass over Korea's back four; Donovan timed his run perfectly to avoid the offsides (maybe) and gently one-timed the ball over the charging Korean keeper.

Just three minutes later, Korea tied the match out of the blue with a blast from 30+ yards that beat Keller to the upper right corner.

The second half was really painful to watch. Korea dominated and the U.S. had no cohesion, no organized offense and often looked shaky on defense. The only bright spot was a lead through pass to Donovan that put him on a breakaway. He was taken down from behind by a Korean defender who was given a red card.

Apparently the U.S. thought it had last a man because Korea immediately began beating the cr*p out of them and nearly scored several times. It was pitiful.

Arena began make substitutions at the 70th minute, inserting Cunningham for Lagos, then Jones for Ratzov and then Beasely for Lewis. All three subs made their presence felt at first but then Korea again took control and nearly scored on a break-away in the penalty area in the 89th minute. Califf broke up the play at the last second and the Korean player went down injured. He was carted off and the U.S. was two men up. Finally, in the 93rd minute they started an attack: Donovan to Cunningham in the middle who placed a perfect pass in the top left corner of the penalty area for an onrushing Beasely who slammed a perfect left-footer into the upper-corner of teh near post. A beautiful finish! The ref blew the whistle a few seconds later and the U.S. had miraculously won.

A few points:

--Frankie Hejdk--At one point the announcer actually said, "Frankie Hejdk is a liability for the U.S." He was awful and should be taken off the National team roster.

--Eddie Lewis--Did nothing. Take him off the roster, please.

--Brian McBride--Had a couple of outstanding individual efforts that led to shots on goal. Looked good at times.

--Landon Donovan--Involved in both goals and his play led to the red card that put the U.S. a man up. That said, he disappeared for long stretches of the second half.

--Beasely--The guy's for real.

--Cunningham--Tries to beat defenders one-on-one too much. Wasn't very successful against Korea.

I can't provide a cogent analysis of what was wrong with the midfield/defense because the camera work for the game was so awful that I couldn't really see what was going on. Whatever it was, in wasn't good.

Bruce Arena--It is time to stop farting around with these tryouts and time to start putting players on the field who are going to play together in the World Cup. We need to start building confidence and momentum but the whacky lineup he started today isn't going to do it.

On a bright note, D.C. United's Ray Hudson showed up at the sports bar where I was and sat just a table away. Alas, I couldn't quite eavesdrop on what he was saying.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
spot on, Hern ...

Bruce needs to hire you and an advance scout.

You are right, He needs to start playing guys he expects to make the final 23 come late May, and stop putzing around with these rinky-dink line ups.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
TP said:
spot on, Hern ...

Bruce needs to hire you and an advance scout.

You are right, He needs to start playing guys he expects to make the final 23 come late May, and stop putzing around with these rinky-dink line ups.
Thanks TP. Bruce, if you're reading this, I'm available, man!!

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Thanks for a great report, Hern! :star:

As I have pointed out before, Bruce hangs onto trash way too long! Frankie, Eddie, Richie and Meola, they need to get out of the way for some younger and better players!

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,478 Posts
mmmmm we can xpect Mastroenni to play some on the next game ??? Once he does he'll do whatever it takes in order to win the starting position..The guy is a real hussler !!! :happy:

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,478 Posts
Arena praises teen talents in USA's Gold Cup opening win

[dailysoccer.com full link]

January 20, 2002 (DS) -

There is no official "youth movement" in American soccer circles, but United States coach Bruce Arena praised his so-called "kiddie corps" for their contributions in the USA's 2-1 win over South Korea in the teams' opening match of the CONCACAF Gold Cup. Teenagers Landon Donovan and DaMarcus Beasley- both of whom are only 19 years of age- scored goals in the win, including Beasley in the third minute of added time to give the USA an important and emotional win.

:cool:

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Player ratings by Robert Wagman

Goalkeeper Kasey Keller - 6: Made three fine saves, more difficult than his save of the early penalty kick. Another solid performance from a veteran keeper.

Defender Jeff Agoos - 5.5: A few errors, but considering how little help he was getting from the rest of the defense, he can be forgiven.

Defender Danny Califf - 3.5: A truly awful match. Responsible for South Korea being awarded a penalty kick in the seventh minute and could easily have been called for another in the dying seconds.

Defender Carlos Bocanegra - 4.5: Not terrible, but made a lot of rookie errors. His inexperience showed often.

Defender Frankie Hedjuk - 5.0: Made some excellent defense plays and pushed the ball forward well. His crosses were inconsistent, but a few were on the mark.

Midfielder Chris Armas - 5.5: A solid performance. Had to play defensively all night, but handled his chores well.

Midfielder Manny Lagos - 4: Was out of his depth all day. Contributed little.

Midfielder Eddie Lewis - 5: Continues to be maddeningly inconsistent. Will make a wonderful cross one moment and an awful pass the next. A classy player with international experience, but didn't get the job done today.

Midfielder Landon Donovan - 6.5: Player of the match. In the right spot at the right time. Showed poise in chipping the goalkeeper for the first goal. Still tends to disappear for too long during matches.

Forward Ante Razov - 4.5: Did not receive much service, but contributed little himself. Tried to come deep to get the ball at times, but without result.

Forward Brian McBride - 5.0: At best when he is a target, he received no service today. Dropped deep at times trying to create for himself, but that is not the strength of his game.

Reserves

Forward Jeff Cunningham (64th minute for Lagos) - 5: Contributed little until the final seconds when his fine touch set up Beasley for winner, Seemed outclassed.

Forward Cobi Jones (74th minute for Razov) - 5: Gave the U.S. a spark in the late going. Contributed some fine play on the wing and a couple of strong crosses.

Midfielder DaMarcus Beasley (79th minute - for Lewis) - 6: In for 14 minutes and scored the winning goal with a very composed shot. Did little else in his short stint.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Thanks for the report guys, As a matter of pricapal I was not shelling out the 20 bucks for the match as by rights the game should be telivised live and not on PPV. FSW is showing other matches live and some on taped delay. Yet none of the US matches. This really p*sses me off When do US footie fans get a break.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Wagman's Ratings

I thought he was a bit too harsh on Califf on way too easy on Hedjuk; in fact, I'd reverse the ratings he gave them. He was also too generous to Eddie Lewis; I'd give him a 4.0.

I also thought he didn't give Ratzov enough credit; his pass set Donovan free for his goal.

The rest of the ratings seem okay.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Re: Arena praises teen talents in USA's Gold Cup opening win

colocolo said:
[dailysoccer.com full link]

January 20, 2002 (DS) -

There is no official "youth movement" in American soccer circles, but United States coach Bruce Arena praised his so-called "kiddie corps" for their contributions in the USA's 2-1 win over South Korea
The "kiddie corps" title brings back memories of my sophmore year of high school when a bunch of my buddies and I started for the varsity squad. The local papers called us the "Kiddie Korps."

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Re: Player ratings by Robert Wagman

Oldsocfan said:
Goalkeeper Kasey Keller - 6: Made three fine saves, more difficult than his save of the early penalty kick. Another solid performance from a veteran keeper.

Defender Jeff Agoos - 5.5: A few errors, but considering how little help he was getting from the rest of the defense, he can be forgiven.

Defender Danny Califf - 3.5: A truly awful match. Responsible for South Korea being awarded a penalty kick in the seventh minute and could easily have been called for another in the dying seconds.

Defender Carlos Bocanegra - 4.5: Not terrible, but made a lot of rookie errors. His inexperience showed often.

Defender Frankie Hedjuk - 5.0: Made some excellent defense plays and pushed the ball forward well. His crosses were inconsistent, but a few were on the mark.

Midfielder Chris Armas - 5.5: A solid performance. Had to play defensively all night, but handled his chores well.

Midfielder Manny Lagos - 4: Was out of his depth all day. Contributed little.

Midfielder Eddie Lewis - 5: Continues to be maddeningly inconsistent. Will make a wonderful cross one moment and an awful pass the next. A classy player with international experience, but didn't get the job done today.

Midfielder Landon Donovan - 6.5: Player of the match. In the right spot at the right time. Showed poise in chipping the goalkeeper for the first goal. Still tends to disappear for too long during matches.

Forward Ante Razov - 4.5: Did not receive much service, but contributed little himself. Tried to come deep to get the ball at times, but without result.

Forward Brian McBride - 5.0: At best when he is a target, he received no service today. Dropped deep at times trying to create for himself, but that is not the strength of his game.

Reserves

Forward Jeff Cunningham (64th minute for Lagos) - 5: Contributed little until the final seconds when his fine touch set up Beasley for winner, Seemed outclassed.

Forward Cobi Jones (74th minute for Razov) - 5: Gave the U.S. a spark in the late going. Contributed some fine play on the wing and a couple of strong crosses.

Midfielder DaMarcus Beasley (79th minute - for Lewis) - 6: In for 14 minutes and scored the winning goal with a very composed shot. Did little else in his short stint.

I don't know what game this guy was watching...

Hajduk a 5+ ... for what. They stopped covering him; he was able to waltz up field with the ball, and they dropped coverage on the other attacking players, yet he still kept missing the final pass, giving his teammates hospital balls, and his crosses. were inept?????

Razov deserved better. He may be classified as a forward, but he prefers to drop deeper in the midfield, which is where he is more effective; and he was. He released Donovan with a pass that broke down the Koreans' off-side trap to allow him to score the opening goal.

The rest of the players were ordinary.

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Our best midfield did not play yesterday. With Reyna linking the defense to our strikers, Mathis orchestrating the attack and Stewart roaming in the flank, it will be a completely different ball game come June!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Oldsocfan said:
Our best midfield did not play yesterday. With Reyna linking the defense to our strikers, Mathis orchestrating the attack and Stewart roaming in the flank, it will be a completely different ball game come June!
Of course, you're right, OSF. But when is Arena going to start letting his starting team play together?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't count on Mathis getting too much playing time during the World Cup. That is if everyone is healthy.

What do you mean ?? If Mathis is healthy and on form he if for sure in the starting XI we can not afford to be missing him i see himn and wolff up front as out stating strikers if they both get healthy and back on form and mcbride has a case to be a starter too

1 - 20 of 23 Posts