Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Honorable Mention, December 2010 Photo Contest
15,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been anounced that the big match will be held at Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. The US coasted through qualifying while Mexico backed into The Hexagonal. I live in Ohio, so I'm glad the match is here and not the Rio Tinto in Salt Lake. Bradley has implied that he will pick almost all European based players since MLS is in it's off season. I think the Americans are clearly the favorites. Thoughts on the match?

·
15,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Springfield. It's a bottomless pit halfway between Dayton and Columbus.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It better than playing @ The Slice or Reliant Park. If US Soccer needed the money, they could have picked a spot in Texas or Cali, IMHO.

WE have had great results in Ohio, and I expect it to continue in 2009/2010.

·
15,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone here going to US v Mexico? I'm gonna try. No tickets are avaliable yet. They well prob be avaliable in early January. I'll post when they are.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
I might try to go if I can get tickets. I'm only about 90 min/ 2 hours away.

·
15,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Word around the camp fire is that tickets go on sale Monday January 5th.

·
15,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No tickets yet. This is ridiculous. US Soccer want people to go to this match, don't they? Maybe they think that if the Mexicans show up and no one is in the stands, they will assume the match was canceled or something. They leave, resulting in a forfiet.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
It sounds like they're very heavily restricting ticket access to ensure it's a pro-USA crowd. I think they're offering some tickets to Crew season ticket holders this week and also to Sam's Army.

·
15,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tickets are available!!! Tickets for Sam's Army and American Outlaws supporters groups. Go to their websites for info. $50 for members, $55 for non members. Seats are behind the north goal end line. Tickets for the rest of the stadium should be available via Ticketmaster in the next few days...

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,480 Posts
Not directly related to this game...but indirectly..yes ....I have a beef in that Mexican teams play in the Libertadores...and Not USA Teams....The Interliga should be played between USA and Mexican Teams...and the top 3 or 2 independently of the country they represent go to the Libertadores...I know the Mexican Federation REALLY butter$ the Conmebol plenty...But I would love to see the Libertadores also reach the USA shores !!!

;)

·
15,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MLS teams can't even get out of the group stages of CONCACAF Champions League. They would get completely destroyed in the Copa Libertadores. Also, when COMNEBOL invited US to play in Copa America in 2007, we sent a complete rubbish squad. They are still pissed about that and I don't blame them. I'm still pissed about that.

·
94,480 Posts
If Im not mistaken...a couple..or at least one MLS Team (DC United) did play in the 1st or 2nd Copa Sudamericana...and they were quite impressive...You throw them to the lions and very quickly you lear how to fight !!!!

:thumbsup:

·
15,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How long ago was that? Cause I remember lasy year how all the MLS teams sucked in the CCL. Houston did okay I think, but everyone else was embarrissingly bad. Remember New England lost to Joe Public from T&T? They lost HOME & AWAY! Joe Public at the time was 5th in the T&T league, which btw is semi-pro. How can MLS teams match up with South American teams? Until the salary cap is raised or abolished in MLS, it will never happen. BTW we have CCL, which is pretty decent. If we win that we go to World Club Cup. We could play a team like Boca Juniors, River Plate, Man U, Barcelona, Inter, any big European club. Exposure (positive) is good for MLS.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
I don't think MLS teams particularly care about the CCL - yes, the Mexican club teams are probably better and the top Costa Rican teams are perhaps on part with the MLS teams, but I'm sure if the MLS teams took this thing seriously they would not be losing to teams from Panama and T&T. DC United played in the Copa Sudamericana a few years back (2006 I think it was) and barely lost to a Chilean team (I think it was Universidad Católica). Alajuelense, one of the top Costa Rican teams and the Champion's Cup winner in 2004 played in the Copa Sudamericana the year after DC United and got absolutely thrashed by Colo Colo. Although this is obviously not a definitive study or anything, it would seem that MLS teams might take a South American competition like the Sudamericana or the Libertadores more seriously than the CCL. It seems like a weird notion to have, but the reality is that these two competitions are much more prestigious than anything North America has to offer. Perhaps in a year or two when the CCL gets off the ground, MLS teams will tke it more seriously. They certainly have the quality to at least be competitive in the CCL, but it seems like they do not particularly care for it.

Back to the subject at hand, the game should be a great one. I go to school outside Cleveland, but I'm going to be studying in Chile for the semester so I won't be able to attend the game. Good news is that I don't leave for South America until a few days after the game, so I'll at least be able to catch it on TV. I think we have a very capable squad this year that can take down Mexico. Hopefully it'll be a repeat of what happened in Columbus three and a half years ago (hard to believe its been that long - time flies). We still have a solid defense and with players like Jozy and Adu getting more and more playing time and with Donovan making the switch to Germany (apparently he played well in his friendly debut for Bayern - only player to go the whole 90, had a hand in one goal and earned the free kick that led to another) our offense is definitely improving. However, this could be one of the last chances for Sven at the helm of Mexico, so he will definitely be looking to get a result and we must watch out for that.

·
94,480 Posts
Chile ??? The old country..Hope you havea swell time ...

·
15,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where does MLS get the balls to say they're to good for CCL? What has any MLS team ever done in international competition? Why as Americans do we feel that we have the right to participate in the best tournaments without first proving ourselves. How do we do that? By doing well in OUR OWN international competitions. Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericna are COMNEBOL. I realize Mexico is CANCACAF, but they are a proven power. When we don't even take our own CL seriously, why would they even consider an MLS team? When a 5th place semi-pro team from T&T beats one of the traditional powers of MLS home and away without even trying, other countries laugh at us. This is why MLS is considered a joke.

·
15,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BTW I do think that a top MLS team can beat a top South American team on any given day, but the USMNT can beat Brazil, Spain, Germany, etc. on any given day too. But does that mean the US is better than Brazil, Spain, or Germany? No. The same logic applies to MLS.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts