Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jamaica to bring some new faces to New York/New Jersey to face the US, including new boy Kevin Lisbi who is on the books at Charlton Athletic.

The problem with including Lisbi may be his past play for Englad at youth level. If he played in a FIFA sanctioned event, he will be excluded from playing with Jamaica. I'm sure that the Jamaicans have reviewed his qualifications.

The Full squad is as follows:

Linval Dixon, Aaron Lawrence, Claude Davis, Fabian Davis, Marco McDonald, Robert Scarlett, Omar Daley, Ricardo Gardner, Jermaine Johnson, James Lawrence, Tyrone Marshall, Andrew Williams, Theodore Whitmore, Fitzroy Simpson, Keith Kelly, Ricardo Fuller, Deon Burton, Onandi Lowe,Barry Hayles, Kevin Lisbi, Jobi McAnuff, Richard Langley & Paul Hall.

Read on:

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/spor..._25446_OBS_NEW_FACES_IN_REGGAE_BOYZ_SQUAD.asp

·
Registered
401 Posts
That's about as good as it gets for Jamaica. I'm glad this one is on ESPN2. At least I can watch the whole game this time.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Well, another trial before the WC02. I believe US soccer team has a lot to show but at the moment they haven't/is not able.. yet. But once they show it, they will be one of those world class national soccer team ...

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I assumed all along that Arena set up the three matches to reflect the schedule of the first round of the WC so his players can experience the short rest periods between matches that they'll face in Korea/Japan.

I also thought the purpose of these games was to give the starting 11 opportunities to play together and gel. What's the point of playing the bench warmers?

·
Registered
674 Posts
OSF,

I'm with Hern . . . No reserves tonight until well into the second half. Of course, whoever takes Armas' place is sort of a reserve anyway. But Bruce has GOT TO start the solidifying process NOW.

Time to make desisions and live with them, even if they are not perfect decisions. There's more benefit to playing together than fiddling with the lineups at this point.

IMHO

Oldplayer

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I disagree

I hope he rests those we "assumed" will be regulars and play the scrubs ... we can't afford any more injuries, especially Pope, O'Brien and/or Reyna, in what is a meaningless match. No competition and nothing to play for.

The US has already shown that they can beat Jamaica in a meaningful match, I don't see this as a match to test anyone or anything, especially coming so close to the Uruguay game, and the world Cup. The game against Holland will be the "real test", so rest the regulars.

I believe he, Bruce, is using these game to prepare the players mentally for what is to come in Korea and hopefully Japan ... 3 hard fought games in less that 10 days, against 3 tough opponents. If so, then IMHO, he needs to focus more on team building, fitness, fitness and even more fitness ... !!! FORGET ABOUT THESE NIKE SHOW PIECES and prepare the team to play in Korea.

Just my opinion ... !!!

GO USA!!!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Im not going to worry abou injuries, if they are going to come they might happen in the first three minuets of our first match in Japan. We need our lads to play together as they havent been able to do this in any of these friendlies. There is no better way to get fit than to to be match fit, and that only happens when you play.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sorry, T.P., I've got to agree AGAIN with PaulMay. Forget injuries! Chris could have hurt his knee just as easily in practice or getting out of the car.

Game tough, Series tough. That's the ticket. You get that ticket only by playing together as a unit. How about a nice hard fought 3-0 victory for team cohesion? We need the minutes. The regulars need to know where, what, when and how just as well as the reserves.

IMHO

Oldplayer

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Jamaica brought a tough tackling but porus defense tonight, as we gave them a spanking of 5-0!

I had a feeling that the score would have been lower had the Jamaican players not played so nasty in the second half.

With all the injuries on our side from this game, the one that worries me the most is Mathis' toe. I hope he won't play Sunday as we will need him in the Far East.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hindsight is 20-20

Well, I got home in time to see goals #4 and #5. Doesn't look to me as if many subs went in, but of course I did see dudes on the bench with injuries... so I should assume we put somebody in.

Um, just a small question. Did we wear blue because we are the "away" team?

The next mark on my calendar is 1PM Sunday the 19th on ABC. Will that be the Netherlands? I hope I am not missing things. If you guys know of other things that Should be on the calendar, let me know. (Yep, I have Monday, June 10th at 1:30 AM - but it is written in the margin because the June calendar hasn't been made up yet;)

We did suffer some brutality out there, but I didn't see anybody get kicked while they were down. Do you guys think we are working well together? There really isn't any other way to practice being a team other than Being A Team in a match. They look pretty good to me.

Go USA !!!!:fero:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Hard to look at this one and pick out bright spots or negatives. The first few minuets of the first half the US defence looked shaky yey that was to be expected having a new look back line. Three players stood out in my mind, Joe Max, Wolf, and Matz. I think Matz would be better in Chris's spot than Reyna. IMHO. Donavan had a better match and Beasley Looks like he would be great off the bench with those legs of his against a tired defence. I almost forgot Hajduk, Better than Regis. and made some nice runs down the flank.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think you saw what training together in camp for 2 weeks can do for a team. I know the boys have good passing skills. They know how to move into space and make wall passes. They have rocket shots. Cohesion that comes from working out every day, makes the great ball movement they showed tonight possible.

Of course Jamaica was just a bunch of amatuer hacks. Talk a bout a ref letting a game get out of hand. Doing this against top level Portugese, Polish, and Korean teams might be harder.

Mathis should have those Euro coaches drooling by the end of the Cup. In 94 it was said that a goal scored in the World Cup was worth a million bucks in increased salary and sponsorships. I wonder what it's worth now. Clint's transfer fee range is now at $4-$5 million.

:greed:

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Ok guys....before we get to high we have to remember that jamaica is not that great of a team. This win is good for morale and to defeat Uruguay a fellow World Cup team was great. you need to play some weak sisters in the tune up games.

Hollnad will be a good test. if they bring their whole team and we fare well....then I can honestly say that we just may get out of group play and into the next round.

Go USA>

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
The two Idiots who commentated this match made one of the most obserd comment Ive heard Shep made in a Metros match two weeks ago.
There comment was How do we expect to get good European teams to come to The US when the Officiating is so terrable. Duh let me see. The coaches of Europe watch a match and say Lets go to the US they ref a good game there!:confused: Would someone tell these two Idiots that they don't come here because they dont feel the compitition is good enough yet, not how the game is handled by the Refs.I think we keep playing the way we are and Improve, couple that with a good showing in the WC those European teams who think we are a joke will be lining up to play here.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Paulmay....I agree. Well one thing that Shep forgot to bring out, the officiating abroad isn't that much better either. Just watch this World Cup and then see how inconsistant different refs are to interpreting the rule. Watch how many times you will see who gets a yellow card and in another game watch the same play happen and no foul let alone a yellow. That is why I hate that yellow card accumulation rule that exists. I hate to see a player work so hard his whole career, his team gets to the semi-finals and then he gets a questionable yellow card and is forced to miss the final. The sadness and disapointment that is visible in their eyes is just sad.

·
Registered
204 Posts
A new one on me.....

So, there are Other penalties that happen Besides the second yellow being red?

What is this thing about not being allowed to play other matches?

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
If a player accumulates a certain amount of yellow cards over the course of the World Cup, he is not allowed to play in his next game.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts