Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Semi Final is tonight for the Olympic qualifiers. As predicted the US will face Mexico but the experts thought that both teams would have already qualified and playing for pride. But that has not happened, with Mexico drawing with Costa Rica placing them second in thier group. They will take on the US as We finished top of ours. This will add more Fuel to the fireworks in tonights match. As both teams will be playing for more than Pride but a trip to Greece. The winners of the Semis will be the only two teams to qualify.

Donavan in a statement to Mexican telivision has added more fuel to the allready large anti American sentament in Mexico. Most of the players have been verbally abused by Mexican fans throughout this tournament adding Donovan's statement to this will spark another Mexican-American War. Donovan " Beating Mexico is great but comming to thier home turf and knocking them out of the Olympics is going to be exhilerating."

Here is more of the pre match reports:

Rivalry renewed: U.S. to face Mexico
(Feb. 9, 2004) – At some point, the United States Under-23 team was going to have to face Mexico whether it was in the semifinals or the finals of CONCACAF Olympic qualifying.
What makes this simmering rivalry so much more steamy this time is the quirk in the rules that says the winners of the semifinal matches in CONCACAF Qualifying determine the two bids to the Athens Summer Games. That raises the stakes of this Mexico-U.S. encounter which would be tantalizing without the raised stakes.

"I think part of it is that it's the two best teams in CONCACAF, at least since I've been alive. I think part of it is that the full teams have had some great battles, so that kinda carries over to the Olympic and youth teams,” said U.S. Under-23 head coach Glenn Myernick. “Now that we're here in Mexico, that just adds to it ... to the excitment, to the rivalry. It's going to be a great game on Tuesday."

The last time these two countries met with more than pride on the line was the 2002 FIFA World Cup Round of 16 title where the United States beat Mexico 2-0. Landon Donovan, a goalscorer in that game, will also be present for Tuesday’s clash at the Estadio Jalisco in Guadalajara. Instead of a neutral audience in Korea, there will be close to 60,000 people rooting for the home team this time.

For Myernick’s young team, this may be the first time they have played in front of so many people, but luckily, Donovan and other up and coming national team players have been blooded in games just like this. Those players will make sure the rest of the team is ready for the battle at hand because of the stakes involved.

“As fun as it is to win a game at home in front of a lot of people, there's nothing better than beating a team on their home turf ... especially to go the Olympics, it would be indescribable,” commented Donovan. “I can't picture a better scenario. If we win, you couldn't write a better script. It would be awesome."

For the first three games of the tournament, the U.S. has played in front of small crowds at the smaller venue of the Tres de Marzo Stadium. Even so, the Mexican fans have been full of vitriol against the U.S. Some fans have even gone to the disturbing length of shouting “Osama, Osama” at the players. Myernick realizes the noise will be to the advantage of the home side, but in the end, it’s going to come down to which of these North American soccer super powers blinks.

"The Mexican team will start the game with 12 players, because of the 60,000 (fans), but none of them are allowed to kick the ball, so that's an equalizer,” added Myernick. “Getting to the Olympics is a big prize, and it shouldn't come easy, and it won't. I think it's a great opportunity for our young players to get international experience playing in big games like this in Mexico, because if they're to continue to have an international career, they'll play in big games like that all the time."

DaMarcus Beasley was another member of the 2002 World Cup team as well as a player in the Under-23 friendly in Guadalajara in May 2003 that ended in a 3-1 win for the Americans. Beasley also remembers the bus being pelted with rocks as the U.S. team tried to get out of the stadium that night courtesy of the 75-yard-goal scored by teammate David Testo. Beasley is sure Mexico will be out to even the score against their northern rivals.

"They know that we beat them in the World Cup, and we pretty much beat them the last few times, so they know they've got to come out and win for their country,” he said. “It's going to be a tough game, and we hope we come out on top."

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
U.S.A Loses 4-0 nice no olympics for us!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats OK Blaquest we wouldnt get them telivised anyway.:( But I have a feeling that not going to the Olympics isnt going to Wory Arena any. He will be gearing up for the WC qualifiers, the Olympics will just be a distraction to him.

·
Registered
447 Posts
to me its kid of a dissapointment but we better get our ass in shape for the world cup i dont want the world to look at USA in 06 and be like maybe 02 was just a lucky year

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Yeh i donno im just mad because now Someone else is gonna win it and we wont lol

o well we better just prepare for the WC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts