Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The US will take on Denmark in an international friendly on Sunday Jan. 18th, and get this it will be televised live on ESPN at 12:30 pm PT or 3:30 EST. Beasley, Donovan and Convey will be switching camps as they have been training with the U23 team getting ready for the Olympics.Josh wolf will also make his reappearence in 2 years.

While the US will be supporting a majority MLS squad as they prepare for WC06 CONCACAF qualifiers later this year.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Starting Line up:

Walker

Convey Garcia Pope Allbright

Beasley Mulrooney Armos Rolston

Donovan Rozov

Walker was a good Choice.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The US are 1-0 down on a Phantom penelty by Eddie Pope. The US are outshooting Denmark the only problem most are by Rozov who has missed an open netter and yet to put the ball on goal. I have to admit we are looking good yet we will have to beat the refs as they are the difference in the match so far.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Second half was a much better performance. Denmark sat back on thier gift and the US took it to them. Better passing and much better 1-2 combinations. Donovan on a beautiful timed run recieved a pass from Beasley to leave everyone including the keeper scrambling, only to be denied by the post. Then moments later the Dane Keeper Missplayed the ball out and Donavan picked up the ball left the keeper crawling on the groumd only to shoot high over the crossbar.
It seemed that the US will never score but they were then given a gift as Mendez called a penelty Mulrooney off a free kick where Donovan converted, his 15th International goal.

Stars of the match were Convey, Beasley and Donovan

Dissapointments Rozov and Rolston

Subs Wolf For Rozov
Klien for Rolston
Zavagnin for Mulrooney
Wolynick for Armas

Wolf should have been given the oppertunity to start. And Walker had a solid game yet not having much to do but I love the way this guy gets rid of the ball, he gets it out or back in play very quickly, never slowing the match down.

US 1 Denmark 1

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
I saw the match. Nothing special. The USA really needs to work on their gameplay. They seem to want to copy the more famous US soccer team, the women one, which sucks of course cuz no one other then the USA watches women soccer but oh well, if you guys are happy in your own dream world go ahead.
Game wise, USA playing ok, not bad nor well. But for sure their best game was against Portugal, there I saw a good USA, but it was probably the only time.
Wish you A LOT OF LUCK!

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
The 1st half :sleepy:
Beasley , Convey , and Donvon played good.
Convey is playing out of position.
Razov can't shoot..well , the whole team;)
Beasley man of the match:star:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to disagree with you in one repect ItalianBoy. With the exception of Pope, Donovan, and Armus, this team hasn't played together. Add that this was the first game in some time I thought they played better than I thought they would.
The back four have never played together and Convey never played that position before, and 2 players making there debute for the National side, so it was a good start for the US. They also went to short combination play than the old long ball over the top as in the past.
The Portugal was one of the best matches we played but I thought the Germany game was my favourate even in the loss. I thought we dominated the game for 90 minuets.

Jonny I gave the man of the match to Convey, yet it was close with Beasley. First time playing left back, and in the second half he was instramental in most of the attacks down the left, yet always getting back in defence.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
PaulMay did you get my PM? Just wondering:tongue:

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
CARSON, Calif. (AP) -- Landon Donovan made sure the U.S. national soccer team had something to show for its first game in almost six months.

Donovan's penalty kick in the 76th minute gave the United States a 1-1 tie with Denmark on Sunday in an exhibition match.

"It was a pretty decent performance, given the relatively long period of inactivity for our players," coach Bruce Arena said. "Defensively, we did well.

"We limited them to a couple of looks at the goal."

The match was the U.S. team's first since a 3-2 victory over Costa Rica on July 26 for third place in the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Donovan, who has 15 goals in 45 games for the national team, rolled the ball just inside the right post on his penalty kick. Goalkeeper Peter Skov-Jensen guessed wrong and dived the other way.

The kick was awarded when Per Nielsen was called for a handball in the box.

Denmark's goal also came on a penalty kick, by Thomas Roll-Larsen in the 28th minute.

The Americans pressed the attack most of the game and outshot Denmark 16-4, including six shots by Donovan. The hosts held a 6-3 edge in shots on goal in the game before a crowd of 10,461.

"Our movement on both sides of the ball in the second half was much improved," Arena said. "We did a pretty good job of hanging in there and putting pressure on them in the second half."

The United States used only players from Major League Soccer, including Donovan (who plays for league champion San Jose), DaMarcus Beasley (Chicago) and Eddie Pope (MetroStars).

Because many of the regular U.S. national team players were with European clubs, Arena also used the game to evaluate some new players. MetroStars goalkeeper Jonny Walker made his national team debut.

"The other team didn't make a case to win the game," said Walker, who had to make only two saves. "We were the team actually looking for the result. We went out there to win the game."

Denmark coach Morten Olsen was not surprised that the United States outplayed his team.

"I knew they were physically better prepared than our team," Olsen said after the Danes' first game since November. "We have only trained a couple of days, coming directly from the holidays."

The United States has never beaten Denmark, losing once and tying the three other matches.

Roll-Larsen scored after Pope was called for a foul in the box on a corner kick. Roll-Larsen blasted the ball into the upper left corner of the net; Walker had no chance to stop it.

The United States, set to play at the Netherlands on Feb. 18, is preparing to begin qualifying for the 2006 World Cup. The U.S. team opens that long process on June 13 against Grenada or Guyana.

Denmark -- ranked 13th in the world, two spots behind the United States -- also was without most of its top players. The Danes are preparing for the European championships.

Skov-Jensen frustrated the Americans much of the game, making fine saves on a string of close-range shots. After scrambling to block Beasley's shot on a breakaway in the 52nd minute, the goalie dived and deflected a 13-yard shot by Bobby Convey in the 59th minute.

Donovan, bearing down alone on the Danish goalie in the 70th minute, had a clear shot from the left side when Skov-Jensen dropped to seal off any low shot. But Donovan's left-footed liner hit the left post, and he sank to his knees and held his head in frustration.

Three minutes later, Donovan dribbled across the box and lured the goalie out of position, but his shot sailed over the bar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts