Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
US V Mexico Olympic Qualifier

Prior to the build up of this match reports of a blood match the New York times sent a reporter to cover the Fans reaction rather than the play on the field.
Now insted of a report in the sports page wich is something the NY times seldom reports on is soccer had headlines of Mexico fans shouting Osama rather than US downed by Mexico. The Times Now want to Turn the reactions of the Mexicans as anti American Politics for the abuse the US team took. Every Football fan in the world knows this kind of bantering goes on at these events, Yes done in bad taste but not done as Anti American Politics. Yet the Times would never know this as they never report on any soccer match that the US plays in. If they did maybe we would have read something about our trip to France, In Tulon as the US Natl team took the same abuse then. The Mexicans werent sending a political Anti Bush anti American Statement, They were sending an Anti US soccer Statement as it should be as two nations face each other in a footie match. That is what Football Rivalry is all about. Something the NY times and Most American Media knows nothing about.

My advise to the Times, Learn the sport and the history of the rivalry before you report on a match you know nothing about, and Keep your Political spin out of Football.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Paulmay, let me congratulate you to have such an unpartial and clear vision of the situation.
I can't explain myself why this things (the insults) happens, specially on the sports events, and even more in football. Let's remember that even a war was started by football differences, or better said the football was used as a pretext to start a war between Honduras and El Salvador some decades ago.
Yes, many columnists and ppl in the states are using this like a pretext to re-alive the anti-mexican xenophobia and racist feelings and to support a particular political agenda that hasn't any relationship with football. IMHO that is even more ruin and low that the incomprehensible Osama chants at Jalisco Stadium.
We could spend many hours speculating why happens this and maybe we couldn't reach any reasonable conclusion... we could do that or just to follow the french sociologist and philosopher "Gabriel Tardé" who once said "The mass doesn't thinks, acts".
An Individual can reason, let's do it.
bye and again congrats.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Yeh i saw the highlights anyone know how many shots we had on goal?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Remedy said:
its sad that the United States the country of freedom cant even make the olympics
so what if where free?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts