Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticing this for a long time. Juventus always seemed to have many Uruguayans. I do not know about the early 1990s. Since the mid-1990s, Juventus always seemed to have two or three on the rooster.

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
Well Moggi has a good working relationship with Pablo (?) Casal, who is an agent that represents many Urguayan players.

It's true that we've had quite a few of them in our squad recently, and currently have Olivera, Montero, Zalayeta.

·
Registered
426 Posts
But the question should be how many of them have Succeded.
as I can remember we have hae Montero, Fonseca, Zalayeta, Pellegrini, Olivera, Carini. anyone else?

The only one that succede for us = Montero
And on some occasions Zalayeta.
The rest are no good.

I hope that Moggi stopped his favourising and insted go for the pure quality in South America, The argentinians.

·
Administrator
53,045 Posts
Dont forget Fabian O'neill too :pp he must be the worst of them.Esnaider was argentinian huh? on general Southamericans doesnt fair to well in Juve.Mostly because we sign the wrong players,dont give them much chances or sign them at the wrong time of their career(Fonseca and Sorin).

·
Administrator
53,045 Posts
Its actually quite sad,that we seem to have such a great connection with Uruguay,but missed out on their best talent.

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
Yeah, but Recoba earns a ridiculous amount at Inter and hardly earns his keep with consistent performances.

Although you never know how he could have developed if he moved somewhere else other than Inter.

·
Administrator
53,045 Posts
Yeah,exactly my point.Would've been interesting seeing how he would have done in Juventus,being that talent he is and all.Not that he performs greatly all the time.But we sign players that are not good enough from Uruguay(except Montero),so it would have swell if he had sign the best one from Uruguay.

But we arent that willing on to gamble on southamericans like Inter(or any other part of the world for that matter) does,mainly because of their history.Staying true to their name Internazionale and signing players from all of the world regardless of how young they are.It looks good wen they find gems like Mutu,Adriano and Recoba,but the list for the ones they fail with is endless.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Well in my eyes it would of been very very interesting and it would of taken a stroke of genius by Moggi to pull it off.

(Especially on a Bosman)

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
About Uruguayins at Juventus,

Fabiab O'Neil was a very good player, but unfortunately he was very injury, or else I have no doubt that he would have suceeded.

Carini wasn't fair. He was bought to replace, what's his name the dutch guy, but then you bought Buffon so he nver had a chance.

Fonseca only came to Jvue in the end of his career and he was a good on the bench player for you, for a little while.

Zala has been a good sub at Juve, especially agaisnt spanish teams in the CL.

We dont know how Olivera will turn out, but until Capello came he wasnt even looked at.

The next Uruguayin experiment will be Carlos Diogo. He is already promised to you guys, and can either play right mid or right defence. Next year he will play at Palermo, which I think is a good idea instead of having him rot for 2 year like what happened with Carini & Olivera.

Maybe the reason why Montero made it with Jvue was because he played for Brescia for a couple year first, he didnt make the trip straight over.

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
The problem with O'Neill as i saw it, was he had ability as a fantasista but he was just too slow as a player.

Anyhow, i agree with Sebastian that perhaps the reason why Montero succeeded was because he was already established at another club before coming to Juve. Although that said, i don't think the other Uruguayan players would have done as well even if they were, except maybe for Carini.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Jamme said:
But the question should be how many of them have Succeded.
as I can remember we have hae Montero, Fonseca, Zalayeta, Pellegrini, Olivera, Carini. anyone else?

The only one that succede for us = Montero
And on some occasions Zalayeta.
The rest are no good.

I hope that Moggi stopped his favourising and insted go for the pure quality in South America, The argentinians.
Well, Carini actually was good (probably still is but I don't watch him so don't know), but who can displace Buffon?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Buffon diplaced Carini. Carini was at the club for a year, before Buffon was bought, as he patiently waited for Van De Sar, to be sol, because he was supposed to be his predecessor.

then Juve went out and bought Buffon.

Carini the dumb fool now thinks he is going to take over for Toldo. I feel sorry for him, because what is he going to do when Inter buys Frey in the off season.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts