• Draw

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do or Die for the Charruas. Senegal has looked rock solid so far. If they were able to withstand the french and Danish offense. The inconsistent Uruguayan defense will have a hard time.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
From what I've seen so far Senegal has been very strong, and Uruguay somewhat of a disapointment.
So I think the Senegal Lions will tear the uruguayans apart and end up at the same amount of points as Denmark :cool:

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Well Senegal have looked very impressive and will have the advantage of knowing a tie will get them through. Now Pua has to send players forward even he cant play defensively in this game.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Have you ever considered that the Urugayan coach might not have the players to play offensively?

Senegal did impress me in the 2nd half against Denmark. They are able to turn a game around (have a plan B so to speak).

The reason why I hope Uruguay will win is that Senegal play dirty as hell. "Punches were thrown around like in a boxing match" Tomasson said afterwards.
Compared to Senegal Uruguay are angels - and no surprise Denmark-Uruguay has so far been the best match in the group IMO.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It is such a disadvantage to play in desperation. I think Senegal will burn Uruguay in counter attacks. Other than Montero the Uruguayan defense wont be able to tame the lions. :fero: :fero:
I am afraid the road will end for Uruguay.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Senegal seem quite unstopable at the moment. They're a VERY strong side, which will give any team a hard time.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Now that the things are like this Uruguay will need a surprise to go through.And i believe to surprises...;)

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,480 Posts
Pua's Ultra Defensive tactics give him another point .. 2 out of nine...So in the line of Dumb Defensive Coaches such as Maldini and Acosta (The X Chilean Trainer) and Pua ..They're Xtremelly happy, they believe on anything but a Loss, of course they forget how to EVER win a game .. :eek:

Final Game 2x2 Tie And Uruguay goes to Montevideo to watch the WC on the Tube ...

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Magic#10 said:
Have you ever considered that the Urugayan coach might not have the players to play offensively?
Actually yes, but you see most of our midfielders play as fowards with there club teams in europe. So there natural abilities are to play offensive.

Take for example the first 20 minutes against Denmark. We played very offensive. We didn't score, but we had chances. Yes Denmark played a great counter and almost scored a couple of times, but it wasnt until late in the first half that they did. I was just waiting for it to happen. In the second half we came out strong again, and we tied the game. I yelled at the TV saying "Pua keep this up!!!". But he decided to go in his defensive shell and you know the rest of the story.

I'm not saying that we would have beat Denamrk if we continued to play offensively, I'm just saying we would have had a better chance.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
World Cup Preview: Senegal-Uruguay
Senegal - Uruguay | News Archive

United colors of Senegal (Allsport)
06/10/2002. Senegal are in the perfect position to go through to the World Cup second round on Tuesday when they meet Uruguay. Coach Bruno Metsu voiced his optimism to see his Teranga Lions qualify for the next round and has broaden the horizons by saying Africa are well on the way to be a major actor on the world scene.

It would be a downer for Senegal not to progress to the WC Second Round. Their splendid performance against defending champions France and their disciplined match against Denmark must now be followed by a resounding qualification to the next round, which would be an achievement in itself.

However Bruno Metsu's words must be read in the light of Africa's results in this tournament. Nigeria are already out, Tunisia should also follow, leaving only - as usual - Cameroon and surprisingly South Africa in the race for a similar result. If two of these sides make it, it'll be touted as a massive step ahead. But if they can't progress, it could harm Africa's future in the competition.

And Uruguay? We weren't too hasty when we said the Celeste was depending a lot on Alvaro Recoba. It was the case against France & Denmark in the team's first two games. Lack of coordination and understanding between the various departments had a bad impact on Uruguay's performance. They never really looked united and they will probably have to pay for it now.

TEAM NEWS

Senegal look certain to welcome back two key players in the shape of captain Aliou Ciss?and midfielder Sylvain Ndiaye. The pair regularly trained with the rest of Bruno Metsu's men yesterday and they should normally be featured against Uruguay. Senegal practised for two days in Suwon, under thick rain but in great spirit. Lingering doubts have been smashed about Khalilou Fadiga, arguably one of the tournament's best players. Salif Diao, red-carded vs Denmark; is suspended for this match.

Victor Pua gave his team a much-needed day off on Sunday when the players were cleared to meet their wives & girlfriends. This should boost a nervous Uruguay team, who has failed to live up to expectations so far. Pua already said he was planning to confirm the XI which faced France on Thrusday, barring a last-minute forfaiture. It means instrumental midfielder Fabian O'Neill is set to sit this match out again due to injury.

PROBABLE LINEUPS

Senegal: Sylva, Daf, Coly, Diatta, Ciss? S. Ndiaye, Bouba Diop, Khalilou Fadiga, Sarr, Diouf, H Camara

Uruguay: Carini, Lembo, Montero, Garcia, Rodriguez, Varela, Dario Silva, Abreu, Sorondo, Romero, Recoba

WHO'S HOT

Senegal: Fadiga - The Auxerre winger is on fire! Everybody is speaking about El Hadji Diouf and the Lens forward deserves the media attention. However against Denmark it was Fadiga who created the best chances. Goalkeeper Tony Sylva is also enjoying a superb World Cup and it makes you wonder why he is kept in limbo at Monaco.

Uruguay: Recoba - The Inter Milan star missed a blinder against France with Barthez caught out of his goal. Recoba will be adamant to make up for that mistake and give his country a stylish qualification. Fellow Inter defender Gonzalo Sorondo is also quite good this term.

WHO'S NOT

Senegal: Diouf - Slightly too severe here, SoccerAge, but one has to admit that after the match he played against France, Diouf was not too convincing versus Denmark. He has time and talent to try again and justify his price tag.

Uruguay: Abreu & Magallanes. Too many goal chances wasted. It could cost Uruguay a lot when the dots are connected.

soccerage

·
International
6,724 Posts
39 Minutes

Senegal leading 3-0 :happy: They could finish 1st in the group :cool: Pape Bouba Diop scored two goals, and Fadiga scored 1 from a penalty

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
3 attacks and 3 goals talk about efficiency. Though to be honest the PK was not a foul, Carini didn't even touch the guy and the third goal was offside.

Sad but referreing in this WC has been the worst I have ever seen in a WC. FIFA needs to take a good look at it's policy for bringing referees to the WC. There are just way too many that just don't cut mustard in this WC. Also it will be nice to start using some technology to get the right calls especially in Offsides and PK decisions.

·
International
6,724 Posts
Goal Uruguay!! Richard Morales! About 20 seconds after the 2nd half kickoff!

Senegal 3 Uruguay 1 :cool:

·
International
6,724 Posts
Forlan scored a very beautiful goal for Uruguay! it's now 3-2 with 20 minutes left.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,480 Posts
My prediction to a tee...I said a Tie ..... ;)

·
International
6,724 Posts
colocolo said:
My prediction to a tee...I said a Tie ..... ;)
right on ;) 3-3! Very entertaining match! Uruguay were all over Senegal in the 2nd half, almost made an amazing comeback win!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts