·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one it's a close call, Denmark solid teamwork or the "garra" from Uruguay

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I think Denmark can make it far in this WC, it'll be something close to WC86 I reckon, if not better ;)
2-0 to Denmark, when Denmark plays all of Sweden will sing:

Vi er røde, vi er hvide :scream::happy:

Atleast we'll try ;)

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Sounds great Cracker:cool:!

I certainly also hope we'll do a great job in the WC. I think we deserve it:D.

The best of luck to Sweden too:happy:. Most of all to Turbo, Mattias Jonson and Zlatan:star:!

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
If you think that this game will be anything like it was in 86, your guys are dead wrong.

However luck is starting to go to your side as it is confirmed Fabian O'Niell will miss the first round, and now even Recoba might miss the first game.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Sebastian50 said:
However luck is starting to go to your side as it is confirmed Fabian O'Niell will miss the first round, and now even Recoba might miss the first game.
Sounds great:D! Although we still would be able to win anyway:tongue::D. It's always nice with some luck though;).

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Frankly, I don't give a damn about the outcome of this match! ;)

Yet, I'm looking forward to see my main men Paolo Montero and Fabian Carini in action! Show those danish cookies what you've been teached at Juventus! Yeeeee-Haaaaaaaa !!!!!

Forza Uruguay!
Forza Carini & Montero! :proud::strong::star:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Denmark will win only if Peter Lovenkrands plays the full game

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
'Eck RFC said:
Denmark will win only if Peter Lovenkrands plays the full game
I don't think you should count on it, 'Eck RFC. We'll most likely play with Grønkjær or Martin Jørgensen on the left wing. Jørgensen could on the other han also be playing in the center, but we'll still have Grønkjær on the left wing. Løvenkrands will then have to 'hope' for an injury for either Grønkjær or Jørgensen.

I'm also a huge fan of Løvenkrands, but I don't think he's good enough to start in or beat Grønkjær on the left wing spot. He's still very young and will definitely be the man for the future. What I'm sure of is that he probably will be substituted insted of either Grønkjær, Jørgensen, Rommedahl in some of the matches.

What a set of wingers we have:cool:!

·
Registered
892 Posts
You do have a good set of wingers, to be honest I do not have a clue about Gronkjaer or Jorgensen so I will always be looking for Lovenkrands to play. The only thing about Lovenkrands is he is still young and sometimes he does not think. The thing is, when a player at the age he is is playing in important Old Firm games and scoring in 5 out of 7 games he has to be good.

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
I would pick Løvenkrands over Rommedahl anyday! Rommedahl is fast but that is all he has. When he is put under the least bit of pressure he dissapears out of the game. He needs space to shine with his fast run and he won't get that against Uruguay who'll be defending with a lot of players. Løvenkrands is fast too and he has better technical skills than Rommedahl. The most likely scenario, however, would be Grønkjær and Jørgensen on the wings as both of them can play both on the left and right.

Denmark win BTW, :cool:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Denmark will win! Maybe not 6-1 as in 1986 but I'll settle for a 2-0 too ;)

I think the Danish team is better than in 98 despite the fact that the Laudrups and Schmeichel aren't there.

I also think that Denmark has played some of the best football in the qualifiers AWAY from home - the tough matches in Iceland, Czech Rep. and Bulgaria prooved that there is a brilliant tactical skill on the team and I do think that the tactical skills will decide this match up with Uruguay.

Also hope that Graversen will keep cool as the Uruguayans probably will try to provoke him...

6-1 again? nah...2-0 would be a great start!

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Well thats a pretty confident pediction. I havent seen Denamark play so I will not give a prediction for this game, but of course I will be behind my country men 100%.

·
Rising Star & XCC Winner 2002
868 Posts
laziali said:
The most likely scenario, however, would be Grønkjær and Jørgensen on the wings as both of them can play both on the left and right.
I would love those two to be our starting wingers but I am pretty sure it wont happen. Morten Olsen is besotted with Rommedahl and I think he will start no matter what.

Actually have any of you noticed in the qualifyers and warm up games that when Rommedahl plays bad (which is pretty often) the other wing is subbed early in the game!!! Sometimes I really wonder what Morten Olsen sees when he looks at Rommedahl playing because it surely can't be the same as the rest of the country is seeing....

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Thursday, May 30, 2002

Recoba fit to face Danes, O'Neill out

CHEONAN, South Korea (Reuters) - Uruguay's leading striker Alvaro Recoba will be fit to face Denmark in his side's World Cup opener on Saturday, but midfielder Fabian O'Neill is out.

Recoba: Back in training
(Allsport)

Recoba, touted as Uruguay's key to success in the tournament, injured his left knee in training, while O'Neill has been carrying an Achilles tendon injury for several weeks.

O'Neill will miss Saturday's group A clash in the southern city of Ulsan, and could also be ruled out of Uruguay's second game against world champions France on June 6.

'Recoba's injury is not serious and he is ready to face the Danes,' a team spokesman said.

'O'Neill's problem is tendonitis, he had a magnetic resonance test on his ankle and is not fit to play. We don't know yet if he will be ready to face France.'

O'Neill has won back his place in Uruguay's midfield following his mid-season transfer to Perugia from Juventus, where he was starved of first team football. Gianni Guigou is likely to replace him.

Defender Alejandro Lembo has a minor shoulder injury and midfielder Marcelo Romero has hurt his right foot, but neither injury is serious.

soccernet

·
Registered
88 Posts
[However luck is starting to go to your side as it is confirmed Fabian O'Niell will miss the first round, and now even Recoba might miss the first game. [/B][/QUOTE]

If "El Chino" Recoba does not play, I doubt Uruguay will beat Denmark. Fabian O'Niell is also a key component of Uruguay, it does not look good. :(

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
World Cup Preview: Uruguay V Denmark
Uruguay - Denmark | News Archive

Recoba will play! (Allsport)
05/31/2002. BACKGROUND

Uruguay's clash with Denmark on Saturday in Ulsan, South Korea is without doubt vital to both team's hopes of reaching the second round. The first group game is always key, especially when you still have to face World Champions and favourites to lift the trophy again this year, France.

Roger Lemerre's side are the World and European champions and rightly favourites to win Group A, but who joins them is anyone's guess. Senegal, perhaps naively, are being wrote off in their first ever World Cup leaving Denmark and Uruguay as the leading contenders to qualify, and so making the clash between them so hugely significant.

Uruguay won the World Cup 1950, but did not feature in the last two finals and only reached this one by defeating Australia in the South America/Oceania play-off. Denmark reached the quarterfinals in France '98 in their second appearance at a World Cup. In their first, back in 1986, the Danes beat Uruguay 6-0 in what is the only meeting between the two sides.

TEAM NEWS

Uruguay have been boosted by the news that Inter Milan's Alvaro Recoba will play, although in normal circumstances he would probably be rested, however the World Cup is worth taking a risk for. Victor Pua's side isn't at full strength though, as Fabian O'Neill is ruled out with an Achilles tendon injury.

Denmark are at full strength after their one doubt Martin Jorgensen declared himself fit after struggling with a thigh strain. The Udinese man may force PSV Eindhoven's Dennis Rommedahl out of the team and form part of a three pronged attack along with Jesper Gronkjaer and out-and-out striker Ebbe Sand.

PROBABLE LINE-UPS

Uruguay - 4-3-1-2: Carini; Méndez, Sorondo, Montero, Rodríguez; Varela, García, Guigou; Recoba; Silva,Abreu.

Denmark - 4-3-3: Sorensen; Heintz, Laursen, Henriksen, Helveg; Tofting, Gravesen, Tomasson; Jorgensen, Sand, Gronkjaer.

FORM GUIDE

Uruguay have also won their last two friendlies, although not overly convincingly. A 2-0 win against China and a 2-1 win against Singapore ended a run of slightly poor performances, including a goalless draw against Ghana and a defeat to United States.

Denmark have built up to the finals with two 2-1 wins against African nations, although the two matches were extremely contrasting. A victory against the impressive Cameroon at home was admittedly fortunate, but it was far better than the poor showing against out-of-form Tunisia last week.

WHO'S HOT

Fabián Carini is regarded as one of the best young goalkeepers in the World and will be looking to further that opinion with a good display at the World Cup. Despite his unquestioned talent he has been Gianluigi Buffon's understudy at Juventus and so will be glad of the first team action for the South Americans.

John Dahl Tomasson is on the back of securing a big money move to AC Milan having scored in Feyenoord's UEFA Cup final triumph against Borussia Dortmund earlier this month. Tomasson plays in a more of a midfield role for Morten Olsen's side compared to in club football, but he is undoubtedly a threat to Uruguay's goal.

WHO'S NOT

Diego Forlan will be glad to be involved in International football once again after becoming the object of ridicule in the Premiership after failure to score for Manchester United. On the basis of his club form it is not surprising Forlan isn't first choice in Pua's mind.

Stig Tofting and Jesper Gronkjaer disgraced themselves after having a bust-up in front of the Danish media after the Chelsea man reacted angrily to a prank played on him by Tofting and Thomas Gravesen.

soccerage

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
Yet ANOTHER Preview .....

GAME: Uruguay vs. Denmark at Ulsan, South Korea.

GROUP: A

TIME: Saturday, 5 a.m. EDT.

Uruguay looks to add a new chapter to its World Cup tradition as it opens Group A play against Denmark.

The tiny South American country has two World Cup titles to its credit, lifting the Jules Rimet trophy in both 1930 -- the inaugural World Cup -- and again in 1950 -- in its second World Cup appearance. But this is the first time in the spotlight for ``The Celeste'' since qualifying in 1990, when they lost to host Italy in the second round.

Uruguay finished fifth in South American qualifying on the strength of its tenacious defense, allowing just 15 goals over the 20 matches. It did not secure its ticket to South Korea until defeating Australia by a 3-1 aggregate in a grueling two-leg home-and-home contest in a five-day span.

The idea is ``not to let them (Denmark) leave their half of the field,'' Uruguay coach Victor Pua said. We must ``keep them as far from our goal as possible.''

There is an injury concern for Uruguay, as midfielder Fabian O'Neill, who dictates the team's offensive tempo, will miss this game due to an injured left heel. As a result, Pua may have to tinker with the diamond formation in front of his four-man backline to create better scoring chances for striker Alvaro Recoba, who plays for Inter Milan in Italy, and the speedy Dario Silva of Spain's Malaga.

Denmark quietly pieced together an impressive qualifying campaign, going 6-0-4 and finishing two points better than the Czech Republic. But this edition of ``Danish Dynamite'' lacks the stars that helped propel them to a quarterfinal showing in France four years ago.

Gone is legendary goalkeeper Peter Schmiechel, among the best to wear a pair of 'keeper's gloves. Also not on the roster is Michael Laudrup, one of the nation's heroes. Laudrup, though, is an assistant manager to Martin Olsen.

But with Olsen's unorthodox 4-2-1-3 formation, the best chances for scoring will come from attacking midfielder Jon Dahl Tomasson and striker Ebbe Sand. Tomasson, who has 55 goals in his last four seasons for Dutch side Feyenoord, also has 14 goals in 37 international matches.

Sand was second among UEFA players during World Cup qualifying with nine goals, overcoming a dip in form for German side Schalke 04, with which he had 11 goals. Sand had 27 goals in 33 matches during the 2000-01 season.

Denmark also features standout defender Jan Heintze, who will be the oldest player in this World Cup at 38. Heintze was on the 1998 squad but failed to make the final roster of the ``Danish Dynamite'' team that stunningly won the 1992 European Championship.

Uruguay will play defending World Cup champion France in its next match while Denmark will continue group play against Senegal. Both matches will be next Thursday, June 6.

HOW THEY QUALIFIED: Uruguay - At-large berth; finished fifth in CONEMBOL and defeated Australia 3-1 in two-leg playoff. Denmark - Automatic berth, won UEFA Group 3.

STANDINGS: Uruguay - 0 points, 1st place. Denmark - 0 points, 1st place.

RED AND YELLOW CARDS: Uruguay - None. Denmark - None.

GOALKEEPERS: Uruguay - Fabian Carini, Gustavo Munua, Federico Elduayen. Denmark - Thomas Sorensen, Peter Kjaer, Jesper Christiansen.

ALL-TIME WORLD CUP RECORDS: Uruguay - 15-12-7, 11th appearance. Denmark - 5-3-1, 3rd appearance.

:cap:

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
from the way uruguay played their game against us, don't you think denmark as (much) bigger chance ?

1 - 20 of 98 Posts