Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Robinho itching for Brazil start

MONTEVIDEO, March 29 (Reuters) -

The possible inclusion of 21-year-old forward Robinho is again the main talking point as world champions Brazil prepare to face Uruguay in Wednesday's World Cup qualifier.

Robinho has so far started only one full international -- the 7-1 friendly win over Hong Kong in February -- and Brazilians are longing to see more of his trickery in the national team.

Coach Carlos Alberto Parreira nearly picked him for Sunday's home game with Peru but instead opted for Juninho Pernambucano and finally brought on Robinho at halftime.

Neither choice proved entirely satisfactory as Brazil, desperately short of creativity, spluttered to a 1-0 win over their defensive opponents in Goiania.

However, Parreira admitted Brazil played better with Robinho on the pitch.

"It's a possibility," he said, when asked the inevitable question about whether the Santos player would start in Uruguay.

"I'm going to take my time and think it over."

Brazil, who have never won a competitive international away to their smaller neighbours, are second in the 10-nation South American World Cup qualifying group with 23 points from 12 games, eight ahead of fifth-placed Uruguay.

Brazil were beaten 1-0 on their previous visit to the Centenary stadium in a World Cup qualifier in 2001, when 2002 World Cup winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari took charge for the first time and Romario played his last international.

TOUGH DEFENCE

The world champions did, however, beat Uruguay away in a friendly in 1976, when Zico scored the winner.

Brazil forward Ronaldo is under the spotlight after a string of unconvincing performances for both Real Madrid and his country and will not receive any favours from a tough defence marshalled by uncompromising captain Paolo Montero.

"If he plays, he should wear lots of shin pads because its going to be tough for him," said Uruguay coach Jorge Fossati.

Uruguay deserved to win Saturday's 1-1 draw in Chile while striker Javier Chevanton, their topscorer in the qualifiers with five goals, should return on Wednesday.

"This is a chance to write another page of glory in the meetings between Uruguay and Brazil," added Fossati.

Possible teams:

Uruguay - Sebastian Viera; Diego Lopez, Diego Lugano, Paolo Montero, Dario Rodriguez; Carlos Diogo, Pablo Garcia, Mario Regueiro, Ruben Olivera; Diego Forlan, Javier Chevanton

Brazil - Dida; Cafu, Luisao, Lucio, Roberto Carlos; Juninho Pernambucano, Emerson, Ronaldinho, Ze Roberto; Kaka, Ronaldo

Referee: Hector Baldassi (Argentina)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Uruguay tell Ronaldo to wear lots of shin pads

MONTEVIDEO, March 29 (Reuters) - Uruguay have warned Brazil striker Ronaldo to wear lots of shin pads when he faces them in Wednesday's World Cup qualifier.

Coach Jorge Fossati said that he would not be lured into a false sense of security by Ronaldo's recent drop in form.

"None of us are daft enough to think that he's going through a bad patch and therefore we don't have to be careful with him," Fossati was reported as saying by Uruguayan media.

"If he plays, then he should wear lots of shin pads because its going to be tough for him."

Uruguay captain Paolo Montero, who has played for Juventus for more than a decade, is regarded as one of the world's toughest defenders and holds the Serie A record for red cards.

His partner at the centre of the defence, Brazil-based Diego Lugano, also has a reputation for tough-tackling.

Uruguay, who have never lost at home to Brazil in a competitive match, are fifth in the 10-nation South American qualifying group with 15 points from 12 games. Brazil are second with 23 points.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Oh, My God

An Argentinian referree

Lo que faltaba :wth:

My cabe won't trnsmit the game in direct. Anybody knows of any reasonable online link?? Chinese station maybe??

Our cable preferd to transmit the Argentinian game

·
Registered
181 Posts
ROBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINHO

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
like if we don't get brazies, come on keep it on football, we must keep pretty blind all the time to still enjoying this game...sadly...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
would you rather have a venezuelan referee?
I'd trust an argie. they wouldn't be able to pick their favourites among the uruguayans and us. ehheeh

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
kaiserh said:
"If he plays, then he should wear lots of shin pads because its going to be tough for him."
Typical Uruguay crap. :yuck:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
that's indeed ridiculous. montero is getting old, he probably should retire.

·
Registered
564 Posts
although as i remember we didn't beat uruguay since 4-5 years :wallbang:
i hope this today we can beat them..
we need concentration and pressing on other players and every thing will be on the right track :thmbup:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
We should be careful with Chevanton, this guy is amazing!

Their midfield don't look like very creative though, and they're missing Recoba....

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts
3-1 Brazil wins (Ronaldo 2 Juninho) (Chevanton)

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
My dear Fangio

I was not suspecting in an Argetinian referee intergrity or thought that he will deliberately harm Brazil. I know that you do not like your other neigbours very much

The problem is that in Argentina you are more permissive to fouls, some fouls that a "Brazie" will give red card, an Argentinian, Paraguayan or Spanish will not give even yellow

Against a team like Uruguay, that way of arbitrage can harm Brazil

But, ni modo, a team has to do what he has to do, even if it means fight against 12' or 14 line judge included. The Brazilian are not Italian, they do not shed tears about referees, even if they are damaged by them. And I hope it will stay this way

Let me ask me another question. off topic

Colochini is not in the team, is he? Obviously the coach has not seen him lately, he is in a wonderful racha (He is in Deportivo A Coruña now)

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
LUZ13 said:
The Brazilian are not Italian, they do not shed tears about referees, even if they are damaged by them. And I hope it will stay this way
i am not italian, but i find this comment extremely insulting to a nation of italy's footballing history. maybe you should tell us where are you from before giving yourself carte blanche to stereotype other nationalities.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Brasil escalado para jogo contra Uruguai

O treinador Carlos Alberto Parreira anunciou a escalação da Seleção Brasileira que enfrentará o Uruguai às 21h30 desta quarta-feira no Estádio Centenário: Dida (1), Cafu (2), Lúcio (3), Luisão (4) e Roberto Carlos (6); Emerson (5), Zé Roberto (11), Kaká (8) e Ronaldinho Gaúcho (10); Ricardo Oliveira (7) e Ronaldo (9).

No banco, estarão Marcos (12), Maicon (13), Cris (14), Renato (15), Ricardinho (16), Robinho (17) e Juninho Pernambucano (18).

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
ampersand said:
i am not italian, but i find this comment extremely insulting to a nation of italy's footballing history. maybe you should tell us where are you from before giving yourself carte blanche to stereotype other nationalities.
Its not insulting, but a fact,when it comes to whining about referees,Italy come first to my mind.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Rei Volante said:
Brasil escalado para jogo contra Uruguai

O treinador Carlos Alberto Parreira anunciou a escalação da Seleção Brasileira que enfrentará o Uruguai às 21h30 desta quarta-feira no Estádio Centenário: Dida (1), Cafu (2), Lúcio (3), Luisão (4) e Roberto Carlos (6); Emerson (5), Zé Roberto (11), Kaká (8) e Ronaldinho Gaúcho (10); Ricardo Oliveira (7) e Ronaldo (9).

No banco, estarão Marcos (12), Maicon (13), Cris (14), Renato (15), Ricardinho (16), Robinho (17) e Juninho Pernambucano (18).
Although i'd love to see Robinho play in this one, i like that they've decided to play oliveira instead, now Ronaldo won't be all alone up there and gives him a little more room.It also adds a little more strength which what they'll need.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Ghostface said:
Although i'd love to see Robinho play in this one, i like that they've decided to play oliveira instead, now Ronaldo won't be all alone up there and gives him a little more room.It also adds a little more strength which what they'll need.
i take that back, i don't think he even touch the ball in the whole half. :wth: Why is brasil playing like a bunch of ball-hogs? :fero:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts