Xtratime Community banner

Uruguay Strictly Nationals news

1K views 58 replies 7 participants last post by  Carson35 
I dont know what the hell Pua is thinking. Pua said that he has always wanted to give Fonseca chance but he never had the opportunity until now.

He says he wants to use him as "El Enganche" (ofensive midfielder). He said he is the only player that Uruguay have with WC experience, and that nobody can argue his abilities, when he is in form.

This came as a total shock to me. I dont like it one bit. Fonseca has always had a temper problem, and he has not performed extremely well with Nacional either.

If the was shortage of Uruguayin strikers, than maybe he would be worth the risk, but how can u look at that list of strikers, and say that Fonseca dserves to be there more than anyone of them.
Completley ridiculous. Now Pua will truly loose all the respect of his players if Fonseca goes to the WC.

Also u may notice that Washignton Tais was not put on the list meaning he has no chance of going to the WC. He played half the qualifiers, and was always solid in defence. Now he just gets dropped. Disgusting.

Tais expresses outrage

Washington Tais has expressed his outrage to www.futbol.com.uy

In the article Tais talks about all the times he traveled to South America, & the 2 games vs Australia during the qualfying run.

He continiously put his starting position with Betis at risk for the NT, and now it has abandoned him. He says he wants to no why he was left out, because he cannot think of a good reason. Well I cant think of a good reason either.

- Goals from Tony Sanneh and DaMarcus Beasley led the United States to a 2-1 victory over fellow World Cup participants Uruguay, but they may have lost midfielder Chris Armas to a knee injury.
Armas injury was the only black mark on a U.S. victory that saw goalkeeper Brad Fridel shine in net, and saw the U.S. get a taste of the physicalness that may be required in Korea.

“I was pleased that we did a good job of getting our guys ready to play the game,” said Bruce Arena, referencing the team’s 10-day training camp in Cary, N.C. “Our fitness was pretty good, and it showed in the last 10 minutes. We were able to manage that game the way it had to be managed. Overall (the match was) a good step.”

In the 7th minute, Jeff Agoos curled the ball from the corner to the near post, where an onrushing Sanneh nodded the ball just under the bar into the upper left corner of the net.

Armas left the game in the 24th minute after injuring twisting his right knee earlier in the half, and was taken to the hospital at halftime. He will be re-evaluated on Monday. Pablo Mastroeni replaced the Fire midfielder, earning his ninth cap.

Armas missed the Sydney Olympics two years ago with a torn MCL in the same knee, and his loss as the player who meshes so well with Claudio Reyna in the American midfield could cause Arena to have to tinker with his roster weeks before the World Cup opener.

Beasley was dangerous all afternoon, recording the game-winning goal in the 40th minute. The Fire midfielder intercepted an errant pass in the midfield and carried the ball into the penalty box. Beasley cut the ball around defender Gonzalo Sorondo and fired a shot that Munua saved. Beasley jumped on the rebound and knocked it home for his second career goal.

Even on Uruguay’s lone goal, Brad Friedel showed the skill that made him one of the top keepers in England this year. Friedel saved two consecutive shots from inside of 10 yards from Uruguayan striker Alvaro Recoba, before Fabian O’Neill converted a rebound on the third shot.

In the 72nd minute, second-half substitute Joe-Max Moore played a beautiful ball behind the defense, and Beasley received the ball, danced around a Uruguayan defender and ripped a shot that forced Munua to make a full extension save.

The game got chippy late with the Uruguayans picking up three yellow cards in a five minute span late in the second half. The U.S. responded on a late game counter-attack with Beasley again dancing through their defense and firing a shot at a narrow angle just wide of the net.

Jeff Agoos set a U.S. Soccer record with his 119th start for the U.S. Men’s National Team. Agoos passed Marcelo Balboa, who started 118 matches in his 13-year career. Agoos also played his 10,000th minute with the U.S., becoming just the third player in MNT history to pass that milestone.

The U.S. faces CONCACAF rival Jamaica at 7:30 p.m. ET (live on ESPN2) at Giants Stadium on Thursday. From there, the U.S. heads north to Boston where they play Holland in their World Cup send-off match on May 19 at CMGI Field in Foxboro, Mass., at 2 p.m. ET in a match that will be shown live on ABC.

Lineups:
USA: 1-Brad Friedel (capt.); 6-David Regis, 12-Jeff Agoos, 23-Eddie Pope, 22-Tony Sanneh (2-Frankie Hejduk, 68); 14-Chris Armas (4-Pablo Mastroeni, 24), 13-DaMarcus Beasley, 8-Earnie Stewart (21-Landon Donovan, 46), 13-Cobi Jones; 11-Clint Mathis, 20-Brian McBride (9-Joe-Max Moore, 67).

URU: 1-Gustavo Munua; 2-Alejandro Lembo, 3-Gonzalo Sorondo, 6-Dario Rodriguez (19-Ruben Olivera, 68), 8-Gustavo Mendez; 5-Pablo Garcia (capt.), 10-Fabian O’Neill, 11-Federico Magallenes (7-Gianni Guigou, 46), 18-Nicolas Olivera (16-Mario Regueiro, 46); 13-Sebastian Abreu, 20-Alvaro Recoba.

I also saw the game live. I drove 10 straight hours to watch the game, and drove 10 straight hour right after to get to work on time.

Let me tell how pissed off I was at Uruguays effort. Right after the first minute I could tell it was going to be one of those days.
I was so syked to see Recoba play, but its to bad I didnt. Sure Recoba was on the field, but he didn't play. He looked like a house leaguer.

I know it was only a freindly, but the first half Uruguay showed no enthusiam, and really no effort. After they states scored the first goal ( and man it was a beauty ) they woke up for a little bit but then went right back to sleep. The second goal was a pure give away (Although a great run by Beasly).

In the second half Uruguay woke up with the substitution of Reguiero. Then they played pretty good for the rest of the match until the last ten minutes, and they got all those yellow cards, and still Recoba played like crap.

Everything I said might suggest that I dont think much about the states, but I really do. This team was great tactically, and much more fluent. The number 23 defence men was one of the best I've ever seen, and coby jones was a constint threat. They can make the second if the ball goes there way.

it will be interesting to see if pua will find room for him in the starting eleven.

But I am real dissapointed Pua couldn't find room for Ruben Olivera on the squad.

France may be Zidaneless in the opening round & Uruguay may be without Fabian O'Niell.

I dont mean to compare the skill of the players, but they are equal in regards to what they mean to the team.

O'Neill who reinjured a muscle earlier today was said to be holding back tears after only practicing for fifteen minutes until he had to be helped off the field.

When questioned by the media O'Niell bluntly said " I felt a great pain and couldn't go on, pardon me now, because I do not feel like talking".

Poor guy he could be nicknamed "the man of glass".

It looks like O'Neill will be able to play against France, but my guess would be a to quick recovory which will just side line him again in the future.

colocolo said:
Uruguay couldnt pull it even......with only about 10 minutes left and tied at 1 a piece..they leave the unmarked striker alone in the area to head in the winner....After they had lost a silly ball on the right flank on a less than timid 50-50 ball which should have never been lost by the Charrua player.

:eek:
If you take a look at the replay you will notice that the Danish player won the ball with an obvious hand ball, thats why Varela stopped running because he thought the play would be stopped. Actually it caught all the Uruguayins off guard and that is why thomasson was able to get the space he did to score the winner.

However our players should have reacted better, and they did play way to defensively the whole game, without a lead. Pua took too long to put on the subs. Reguiero & Morales didn't even have a chance to make an impact. I hope Pua will start Reguiero on the left side, and that O'Neill will be back against France. We need O'Neill to regulate our central midfield.

Carini should be upset with Juve he asked to be loaned out in Janurary so that he could be prepared for the WC. Several teams were intrested, but Juve just let him rot for the rest of the year.

Re: Uruguay Bows Out With a Tie

colocolo said:
Barring the horrendous refereeing against the Charruas today, they didnt qualify to the next round today...They had their changes on Day 1 and Day 2, and that's when IMO Pua chickenned out on his Team and Country.
Uruguay goes back with a loss and 2 ties, nothing to be proud off, but then Im sure Pua believes he's a hero ..

:mute:
How can you say we have nothing to be proud of.

I fully agree with Dae to. The real reason why I asked why we have nothing to be proud of is because the ref stole the Senegal game from us. He called to bad goals fair, and turned a blind eye to a hand save from a Senegalese defender off a Recoba shot inside the 18 yard box. Thats a 3 goal difference. Yet we faught hard and came so close. I can handle the other what ifs, but these make me rage inside.

Diouf should be suspended for the game against Sweden. That dive was so horrible.

Playing an attacking football is not a problem as long as we use attack minded players. You cannot use player like Romero, Guiguo, and Garcia and expect them to be offensive. As soon as Reguiero & Forlan were introduced on the wings, it was an entire diffirent game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.