Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to reports, Thuram has expressed his desire to play central defense rather than fullback. Since he usually plays fullback for Juve, this has fueled further speculation that he will leave Juve. Also, Gigi Buffon has said that he feels that Thuram will not be playing in Italy next season. It looks as though Thuram is going to move to Man U for either 30 million or Veron.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Thuram likely to leave says Buffon Thursday 16 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gianluigi Buffon believes that Juventus teammate Lilian Thuram is set to leave the club over the summer.

The French international has had a mixed season at the Delle Alpi since his £23m move from Parma last year. And Manchester United are hot favourites to sign him.

"I do think that Thuram will leave and he will probably go abroad," Buffon told the Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Right from day one, Lilian did not feel a real part of the Juventus plan. He didn’t think that he was considered in the way that he had hoped or wanted."

The tough tackling defender has hit out at the club this year after he was forced to move out of his preferred central role to play at right back in their Scudetto winning campaign.

"Juventus is Juventus," continued the international ‘keeper. "It is not only great players that make Juventus but the club also make great players.

"Thuram struggled to settle into this philosophy, one that helps to produce great victories."

Thuram, now 30, could be sold if the Bianconeri can secure the signing of either Lazio’s Alessandro Nesta or Fabio Cannavaro of Parma.

However, some reports suggest that the Old Trafford outfit are only willing to spend £15m on the stopper - £8m shy of what Juve paid less than a year ago for the former Monaco man.

channel4
=======================================
Thuram ego not suited to Juve, claims Buffon

Thursday 16th May 2002

Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon has condemned club-mate Lilian Thuram for failing to grasp the team ethic in his first season at Juventus.

"The club creates great champions and not the opposite," he explained. "Juve has a different mentality to other squads. Thuram hasn't understood this.

"I think Lilian will leave Italy," added Buffon of the £22 million France defender, who is much admired by Manchester United coach Sir Alex Ferguson.

Thuram revealed last month that he would seek a transfer to United or AC Milan this summer if Juve coach Marcello Lippi kept playing him at right-back rather than in the centre.

And the Scudetto-winner added on Thursday: "The most important thing was to act as a professional, but it is not a title that will make me forget my plight.

"It was a decision that was very, very difficult to accept, for the good of the team. I don't envisage continuing with the same conditions at Juventus, but the officials know that very well.

"There is talk between people who know exactly what they want. Me, I want to have fun, so I would like to change my role."

The defender commented last month: "If Sir Alex Ferguson or Carlo Ancelotti call and say: 'You can play in the middle,' I will consider my future. I have no doubt that I am a central defender, but as a player I can only do what the manager wants."

Thuram denied that playing on the right for Juve was no different to fulfilling the same role for France.

"There is a big difference," he said. "I play fewer matches for the national team than with my club and it is easier for the France coach to move one player and let me play centrally. With Juventus, all ten would be messed around.

"This is the first time I have played so many matches as a right-back," he added. "I am not used to it and, even though I think I have had a good season, I am sure I can do better in the middle.

"My team-mates understand the effort I have put in. They know I have been trying to accept the new situation and working hard. I have got much better at crossing, for example.

"But now I want to understand what the future holds. I will have to discuss a lot of things with Lippi. I have been ready to sacrifice myself before, but now I want to enjoy my football again in my proper position - and as soon as possible."

United are short of centre-halves after releasing Ronny Johnsen, while Ferguson is trying to persuade Laurent Blanc to play one final season before retirement.

The Scot enquired about Thuram before his £22 million move from Parma to Juve last summer and would jump at the chance to land the elegant Frenchman a year on, providing funds were available.

Milan are in a similar situation, with veteran Billy Costacurta possibly on his way out. Ancelotti also knows about Thuram's prowess from their time together at the Ennio Tardini stadium.

If Thuram goes, Juventus will need to find a replacement. "I know that Alessandro Nesta and Fabio Cannavaro are well liked," Buffon said. "One of the two could come, but I don't think both."

onefootball

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Indeed Russel. It would be in € as it's largely correspondent to what was paid for Thuram last year. Back then- the fee was 23 million£ which is more or less equivalent to 30million€.

I don't know if Ferguson would be willing to accept "defeat" concerning Veron, and I don't know if releasing him on te base of one mediocre season would be wise, but a swap would make sense, as both teams would benefit positionally, and in so far as their transfers were about the same value last year- which is to say that noone really loses anything.

Ciao.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thuram ego not suited to Juve, claims Buffon
Posted by Nina | onefootball.com

Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon has condemned club-mate Lilian Thuram for failing to grasp the team ethic in his first season at Juventus.

"The club creates great champions and not the opposite," he explained. "Juve has a different mentality to other squads. Thuram hasn't understood this.

"I think Lilian will leave Italy," added Buffon of the £22 million France defender, who is much admired by Manchester United coach Sir Alex Ferguson.

Thuram revealed last month that he would seek a transfer to United or AC Milan this summer if Juve coach Marcello Lippi kept playing him at right-back rather than in the centre.

And the Scudetto-winner added on Thursday: "The most important thing was to act as a professional, but it is not a title that will make me forget my plight.

"It was a decision that was very, very difficult to accept, for the good of the team. I don't envisage continuing with the same conditions at Juventus, but the officials know that very well.

"There is talk between people who know exactly what they want. Me, I want to have fun, so I would like to change my role."

The defender commented last month: "If Sir Alex Ferguson or Carlo Ancelotti call and say: 'You can play in the middle,' I will consider my future. I have no doubt that I am a central defender, but as a player I can only do what the manager wants."

Thuram denied that playing on the right for Juve was no different to fulfilling the same role for France.

"There is a big difference," he said. "I play fewer matches for the national team than with my club and it is easier for the France coach to move one player and let me play centrally. With Juventus, all ten would be messed around.

"This is the first time I have played so many matches as a right-back," he added. "I am not used to it and, even though I think I have had a good season, I am sure I can do better in the middle.

"My team-mates understand the effort I have put in. They know I have been trying to accept the new situation and working hard. I have got much better at crossing, for example.

"But now I want to understand what the future holds. I will have to discuss a lot of things with Lippi. I have been ready to sacrifice myself before, but now I want to enjoy my football again in my proper position - and as soon as possible."

United are short of centre-halves after releasing Ronny Johnsen, while Ferguson is trying to persuade Laurent Blanc to play one final season before retirement.

The Scot enquired about Thuram before his £22 million move from Parma to Juve last summer and would jump at the chance to land the elegant Frenchman a year on, providing funds were available.

Milan are in a similar situation, with veteran Billy Costacurta possibly on his way out. Ancelotti also knows about Thuram's prowess from their time together at the Ennio Tardini stadium.

If Thuram goes, Juventus will need to find a replacement. "I know that Alessandro Nesta and Fabio Cannavaro are well liked," Buffon said. "One of the two could come, but I don't think both."

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
So how was Thuram for Juve this season??I have heard that he had a disappointing season for you guys.

His class cannot be doubted and also Thuram is an extremely fit footballer.Whether we'll swap Veron for him or rather pay cash,I am not too sure,but I'd love to see him at Old Trafford next season.:)

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I think Thuram played extremely well, but there would be tension if any club wants to play him as fullback (eventhough he is a better fullback than centre back).

I would be upset to see him go but Lippi and Juventus like players who can play in many different roles and Thuram's attractiveness as a player is that he has the physical and technical characteristics to play anywhere but HE SIMPLY HATES IT.

If we could get Nesta instead of Thuram, I would be happy. But if its Cannavaro, I won't be displeased but its still not a bad replacement.

Thuram certainly would be the best defender ManU would have ever had by a very big margin.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
K-2. thuram had a good season, not a great season.

still, he played good.

i want veron so we can swap him to lazio and get some players.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Arrivederci, Frenchman

:cool: :dontcare: :kiss:

I think Canavaro it's a lot better than Nesta.. for whateva' reason :dontcare: ... Veron ?? :rolleyes: what for??

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Cug, seeing the loyalty of Veron towards Lazio, I doubt he'd agree with such a move even IF United would agree with such a swap.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
He is a great player, I really want him to stay.
BUt if we trade him for Veron, I can accept it ;)(and also if we buy Canna or NEsta).

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
kyo, i think you will find that Man U will have no choice but give juve what they want for thuram.

Man U and especially Fergie knows that their defence is shocking and thuram is the only top defender who is willing to join them. Nesta and Cannavaro wont even talk or listen to anything Man U have to offer them.

So Veron is huge possibility to join us, a direct swap could be on the cards at the moment. i want veron so we can swap him for players at lazio, i actually dont want veron in the juve squad for next season.

even if veron has a great WC campaign, and MAn U want to keep him, i think he will leave, he doesnt like it there and fergie wouldnt have the slightest idea on how to play him correctly.

this is what i see or want:
thuram and veron swap
veron swap for fiore, liverani
OR
veron swap for Nesta

i think that could be possible as nesta seems a little uncertain again whether he will be lazio captain next season.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
sorry, i forgot, i have this one question which has been bugging me heaps lately.

Why does Thuram have to join only Man U??

why cant we say to Lazio that we will give them Thuram plus cash for Nesta?? Thuram will play in central with stam in a 4 man back line.

why cant we offer him to Inter who are obvisously after another centre back. they play with a 4 man backline and he would play central as well.

other teams like Real MAdrid who have offered everything for Nesta want a centre back, i'm sure thuram would want to go there and join Zidane and most likely vieira and makelele.

why is it that only Man U are offering to buy him.

can someone please explain, its not like the teams i have mentioned are crap and dont play in the formation which thuram wants play.

suggestions, opinions please.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Cug, that's bollocks. Nesta, Thuram and Cannavaro are not the only good defenders in the world. We aren't desperate enough to "give you anything you want" for Thuram, a top defender but 30 years old already. Maybe, as a Juve supporter you WANT to think that a Juve player is important enough to have a club like Manchester United give you "anything" you want, but that's a hallucination ;)
For example, I read Giggs somewhere??? That's a joke and everyone in this forum knows it.
And you didn't answer my question... even IF we'd swap Veron for Thuram, if Veron does not agree with it there'd still be a problem. He's very loyal to lazio isn't he? I think there are too many obstacles for such an unrealistic dream move to take place in reality. Not to mention that I would be willing to bet a 1000 pounds with you that Manchester United won't even consider swapping him for Thuram. Maybe for Del Piero :D

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
kyo, what do mean by "a club like Manchester"???

what, is Man U so superior over Juve??? is Man U's history more decorated than juve's or something??? has juve all of a sudden become a club which isnt big??? i would really like for you to explain that one!!

And we havent got any players which would make manchester give us anything??? heres a few which would make Fergie cream in his jokes if he had them: buffon, carini, thuram, montero, iuliano, tudor, nedved, davids, del piero, trezeguet and Salas. You tell me if any of those players arent needed at Man U?? all the defenders are and you need another striker and those mentioned are world class. so dont go thinking that Man U are the best still and they have the best players.

and who says that Veron wont agree to a juve move? he hates england and he definately hates Man U and Fergie after what happened this season.

And Nesta, Cannavaro and Thuram are the best in the world. Name other defenders who are as good as them AND are leaving their clubs???

And Thuram might be 30, but he has at least 3 or 4 good years left in him, so that swap with veron is on the cards and you know that. Fergie needs Thuram, and will give veron if juve wants him.

And that Giggs thing is rubbish, he doesnt suit juves game nor the italian game. Anyway, why would we want Giggs when he is constantly injured and is inconsistant.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Calm down don't have a heart attack. Juve are big, Manchester United are big. But you don't have the right to talk for our club. You say we will give you everything for Thuram, so you think you are Fergie, you think you know everything about us, and you think you can speak for another club? Ridiculous. Would you allow me to say something like: Hey Juve wants player X and Juve is prepared to give everything for this player because you have no other choice and because I say so.? Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Annoys you doesn't it? That's exactly what you are doing now. Do you think Thuram (of CUG'S favorite club) Juve is the only option for us in the world? What about Ayala for example? And must we get big names in order to have a better defense? You think Cannavaro, Thuram and Nesta are the only defenders that can play great in the whole wide world? Look at a defense like Liverpool. Good and solid. How many big names do they have? None that come close to a name like Nesta, yet they are effective aren't they? So we don't necessarily have to go for Thuram, and we certainly aren't going to "give you anything you want" as you suggest. Anyone who makes such a remark simply feels good about their club, even superior maybe. So I'm not the one being arrogant here, you might be though.

"And we havent got any players which would make manchester give us anything??? heres a few which would make Fergie cream in his jokes if he had them: buffon, carini, thuram, montero, iuliano, tudor, nedved, davids, del piero, trezeguet and Salas. You tell me if any of those players arent needed at Man U?? all the defenders are and you need another striker and those mentioned are world class. so dont go thinking that Man U are the best still and they have the best players. "

Nice names, but for example, why the feck would Fergie want Davids when we have Keane? We don't need more midfield players sorry. Just like you say you don't need Giggs because of your team's circumstances, we don't need more midfielders (result of getting more midfielders: see Veron.). So no, Fergie wouldn't cream of having nedved or davids sorry.

"And Thuram might be 30, but he has at least 3 or 4 good years left in him, so that swap with veron is on the cards and you know that. Fergie needs Thuram, and will give veron if juve wants him. "

ROFLMAO. Ask any of your fellow juve fans and ask them how much chance they give you for getting Veron in returh for Thuram. It is a POSSIBILITY, but there are tons of possibilities. We could also simply give you money. Don't forget that Thuram has been whining alot in your team. You can't keep players who don't want to stay, sooner or later their performance will drop as motivation comes into the game. So Juve would also profit by selling Thuram sooner than later, and that makes for an even bargaining position. And that puts Juve into a position in which they can not ask what they want from us, even if you'd love to think so.
You always speak as if you have a crystal ball beside you and bla rumours around (a Veron-Thuram swap ISN'T even a rumor yet LOL!) and make them as facts. Not very smart.
Learn to be calm and mature. First think, then act. We will see. Right now, I dare to bet 1000 pounds on it that it won't happen.

"And that Giggs thing is rubbish, he doesnt suit juves game nor the italian game. Anyway, why would we want Giggs when he is constantly injured and is inconsistant."

Yes, and we wouldn't give you Giggs. And by the same theory, Fergie wouldn't need Davids the red card man, Fergie wouldn't need more midfielders sorry.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Oh Cug I believe this comment of yours highlights your stupidity and shows that you have absolutely no credibility as a mature and decent thinking person:
"and who says that Veron wont agree to a juve move? he hates england and he definately hates Man U and Fergie after what happened this season. "

So your conclusion now is that Veron hates Fergie and Man United because of what? A bad season? Who contributed to that? For playing him out of position? If he is a world class player he could adopt over a longer period of time. For the way Veron has been treated by the english media? Read Veron's latest comments, he says he's happy with the professional attitude of the manager and fellow players and that they are all backing him. He also says that he can deal with that little bit of stick from papers that try to create controversials between them.
And even IF Veron doesn't mean what he says, STILL, how can he blame Fergie and Man United for what the papers write? Do you think they control the english media? If anything, Ferguson has recently even went over the edge in an interview and started calling the journalists names for picking on Veron. So you see, Veron is getting all the support from Man United as he can. And that's everything a team can do for a player. Now it's up to him to play well.

The above just shows that you can only talk bollocks and should step down with your comments and tame them a bit down. Otherwise I'll act like you do and start yelling: "Del Piero is over the hill", "Thuram wants out of your team and you have no choice but to sell him, so Man United can call whatever price they want", and more. See, your bulll****ting also works against you.
On second thought... nah I don't want to be talking crap like you are ;)

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
why cant we say to Lazio that we will give them Thuram plus cash for Nesta?? Thuram will play in central with stam in a 4 man back line.
Its because,like Buffon said in a press conference,Thuram most likely will move abroad.

other teams like Real MAdrid who have offered everything for Nesta want a centre back, i'm sure thuram would want to go there and join Zidane and most likely vieira and makelele
Everybody expects him to join United cuz he has publicly stated that if Sir Alex or Lotti called him up and told him he could play in central defence,he'd move straight away.;)

Thats the reason why all the reports are linking him with a move to Old Trafford.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
K-2, thanks for that, thats all i wanted to know.

as for Kyo......well, if you actually read what i wrote, i said that fergie would give anything........and i was only talking about veron really as i mentioned that giggs was very unlikely to join.

i also said that thuram was the best defender WHO was willing to LEAVE and JOIN Man U.

i know there are plenty of other great defenders like Ayala, De Boer, Rio, Hyypia, Montero, Tudor, Hierro, Helguera and many more, BUT are they leaving their clubs???? Ayala has been rumoured yesterday..so he wasnt in the mentioning two days ago.

i know i cant speak and say what Man U want and will offer etc......but Fergie has been after thuram for years, and since now is the perfect opportunity to get him, i cant see him give it up, just because juve would want a player like veron who is having troubles at the club.

and Veron, right before he left for Argentina training, had stated that he had enough becuase he was actually blamed for Man U's performances in the CL and in the premiership. plus he wasnt fond of how fergie was playing him, as he thought he was misused.

that was in an article in daily soccer, but who knows, it could have been all bullcrap...but i guess everything we read could be bullcrap.

so maybe you should keep it in your jox for the time being, because everything i mentioned has a high possibility!! thuram is not cheap and juve have to sell him for less than they bought him only a season after they bought him. dont think that juve will only ask for cash, becuase they know they get the bad end of teh stick. Veron is the only player who Moggi has actually for in that swap, Giggs wasnt asked for, he was offered (although i think that was bull**** media). thats why i have mentioned him!!

so before you make comments about my intellegence, which really isn't smart considering that these forums are for opinions, which obvisously you do not know the meaning of.

you have no idea who I am, what I do and you have no right to insult me, nor other people opinionating in these threads for what they feel and believe in!!!

and saying that a team doesn't need players like Nedved nor Davids is not true, as Fergie and Man U have tried to sign these two players in the past two seasons without success. So maybe they are needed!!!

kyo, what I suggest is that you firstly get over Man U's past dominance in the EPL and in 99, and realise that your club is not building anymore, its trying to buy success just like all the other big clubs in europe are. If that means losing players and spending big, well its going to happen.

just quickly, i hope that these threads do not suggest that we must be emenies as i'm sure we would agree on most things, just not some issues. so i would rather be friends on this forum than fight etc....

one question though.........maybe two

do you seriously believe that Veron will still be at Man U next season?? if so, do see him starting and being a major part of Fergie plans???

personally, i cant see him stay, even if he doesnt join juve....i believe he will join Lazio or go to spain.

but i would liek to know your opinion on that.

thank you

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
"Ayala has been rumoured yesterday..so he wasnt in the mentioning two days ago. "

CUG, ayala was linked with us throughout the second half of the season.

"and Veron, right before he left for Argentina training, had stated that he had enough becuase he was actually blamed for Man U's performances in the CL and in the premiership. plus he wasnt fond of how fergie was playing him, as he thought he was misused.

that was in an article in daily soccer, but who knows, it could have been all bullcrap...but i guess everything we read could be bullcrap. "

These were actually rumours, that Veron said "he had enough". Later on there were quotes of Veron saying that there are papers trying to create controversiality and that he is happy to stay at Man United for now. Stories can be made up, but rarely do articles make up quotes as they can have law problems with that later on.
Believe me, as a Man United fan I follow all the latest about our players.

"so maybe you should keep it in your jox for the time being, because everything i mentioned has a high possibility!! thuram is not cheap and juve have to sell him for less than they bought him only a season after they bought him. dont think that juve will only ask for cash, becuase they know they get the bad end of teh stick. "

No, I don't think so, because as I mentioned in the above thread, Man United and Juve are EVEN in this bargaining situation. This is simply because Thuram wants to leave himself (and mentioned Man United), and you can't keep unhappy players against their will, because sooner or later their performance would drop as they are affected in their motivation. But we will see how it works out and we will see who will be here to say "I told you so" in the next months ;)

"so before you make comments about my intellegence, which really isn't smart considering that these forums are for opinions, which obvisously you do not know the meaning of.

you have no idea who I am, what I do and you have no right to insult me, nor other people opinionating in these threads for what they feel and believe in!!! "

I agree, and apologize, but sometimes you seem to make extreme comments/predictions. I mean, having opinions is great, but that doesn't mean everything one says is rational.

"and saying that a team doesn't need players like Nedved nor Davids is not true, as Fergie and Man U have tried to sign these two players in the past two seasons without success. So maybe they are needed!!! "

As bench players maybe ;)
No seriously, our midfield is fine, we don't need to change that. Fergie is also an admirer of Veron, did everything to sign him, succeeded, and you saw what happened. Don't try to fix things that don't need fixing. He's learned his lesson. We now have 5 world class midfielders and Fergie usually used them all this season so to avoid benching any of his big name midfielders (IF Veron isn't being sold), and Fergie isn't willing to bench any of them (Bench Beckham??? Bench Keane the heart of the team??? Bench Giggs, the only Man United player with penetration and speed??? Bench Scholes, one of the best attacking/shooting midfielders in the PL??? I think both you and I don't see that happening) do you think that we need a sixth and seventh? Unless we'll play a six/seven man midfield I don't think Fergie wants Nedved or Davids.

"just quickly, i hope that these threads do not suggest that we must be emenies as i'm sure we would agree on most things, just not some issues. so i would rather be friends on this forum than fight etc.... "

Well I don't want to start a flaming war with you either.

"do you seriously believe that Veron will still be at Man U next season?? if so, do see him starting and being a major part of Fergie plans??? "

I think there's a 60/40 chance that Veron will stay. He's got the full backing of the Man United staff and players, and he might be wanting to take revenge on the media by playing great next season ;)
And I only see him going back to Lazio in Italy or a big club in Spain if he goes... It's just because you ask that I give you what I think. Usually, I choose to remain silent over these predicting activities which is best IMO. We will see after the world cup I guess.

Well that's the end of my post. It's too much writing to quote all your paragraphs and answer to them, so next time I'll keep it short since I am lazy... Anyway, this whole issue can be answered with: we will wait and see who is correct in the end. We'll see where Thuram will go and IF he goes to Man United, we will see what we'll pay and we'll see whether we trade him for Veron or not. We'll also see if Veron stays at Man United next season or not.
No hard feelings, later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts