Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inter may well have lost Nelson Rivas for most of the season after tests confirmed he snapped the collateral ligament in his right knee.

The defender was stretchered off during last night’s 2-1 win over Bologna and was clearly in some pain, but the diagnosis was made official this morning.

He has not yet undergone surgery, as there will be another series of tests on Monday before “the definitive course of therapy is chosen.”

It is a disastrous blow for the Nerazzurri, as they are already dealing with an injury crisis in central defence that has left Walter Samuel, Ivan Cordoba and Marco Materazzi struggling.

‘Tyson’ Rivas is also the fourth player in recent months to sustain a knee ligament injury after Olivier Dacourt, Samuel and Cordoba.

“Despite it being a major injury, we are now more relaxed as it is less serious than we originally feared when confronted with the dynamics of the incident and the pain he was in,” explained Professor Franco Combi on the official Inter website.

“Now we have to decide whether to proceed with surgery or through a more conservative form of therapy.

“At least we are more reassured because there is no damage to the cruciate ligament, nor is there a fracture to the tibia.”

The injury occurred when Rivas and Marco Di Vaio both went into the tackle. Rivas’ foot caught and that snapped his knee backwards, tearing the collateral ligament.

C4=================================================

Another CB down...

No ACL, but collateral ligament, whats the difference. :googly:

Feel sorry for tyson.. he had been solid...

Recover Fast !!

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Dammit. I blame it on the poor pitch the City of Milan has maintained for us. :(
I doubt we can blame this on the pitch. This was a collision, plain and simple. At least it is not an ACL. What is it with our central defenders?

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone watching Manc v Pool

Skrtel had an strange fall.... when challenging Evans.... and his leg was somehow twisted in the away direction from the knee. It must be one of the ligament things, it seems.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Yeah Skrtel injury seemed pretty similar to Rivas, i didnt see much contact yet they seemed like they were in alot of pain.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
go to buy that romanian dude?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I doubt Mourinho would buy a new defender. Samuel-Cordoba as starters and Matrix-Burdisso as backup. Then you have Chivu who can play that role.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
No buying new defenders thanks, even though we're already getting Thiago Silva from all reports.

Rivas got injured putting himself on the line, he is a champion. I am happy we have such brave warriors, Cordoba, Rivas and Samuel all injured going down with a massive fight.

Get well Tyson.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Seriously how good is Rivas to have as a 5th or 6th choice defender, great defender, has performed well in quite a few matches last season. Get well soon Rivas!

·
Registered
62,701 Posts
Rivas is ace. The new Ivan Cordoba. :stuckup: Extremely quick and strong, top athlete. Very difficult to beat.

Remember how good he was in our Scudetto decider at Parma last season? I hope his injuries :groan: don't ruin a promising career ahead.

Forza Nelson.

I doubt we can blame this on the pitch. This was a collision, plain and simple. At least it is not an ACL. What is it with our central defenders?
The collision was no way near the knee though, but based on previous cases (Maxwell at Ajax, Cicinho at Real, Owen, Ronaldo, Samuel, Cordoba etc..) it's clear that knee ligament injuries aren't necessarily caused by physical contact. I'm no doctor so I'll stop here. :D

Rivas got injured putting himself on the line, he is a champion. I am happy we have such brave warriors, Cordoba, Rivas and Samuel all injured going down with a massive fight.

Get well Tyson.
Word. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
The collision was no way near the knee though, but based on previous cases (Maxwell at Ajax, Cicinho at Real, Owen, Ronaldo, Samuel, Cordoba etc..) it's clear that knee ligament injuries aren't necessarily caused by physical contact. I'm no doctor so I'll stop here. :D
The collision caused his knee to twist, which cause the injury.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No ACL, but collateral ligament, whats the difference. :googly:
The tibial/lateral collateral ligament is outside the joint capsule, ACL is inside - which could lead to inflammation of the joint capsule which has happened to zlatan a few times iirc. The ligament is not connected to the lateral meniscus either.

Instead of opting for conservative therapy, Franco Benazzo of the San Matteo hospital in Pavia and Inter's chief of medical staff Franco Combi have decided to proceed with ligament reconstruction surgery. -inter.it

Basically, the lateral collateral ligament is quite isolated and there was no damage to any bones or intracapsular ligaments - all that is needed now is surgery (since deemed necessary) and then rest and rehab. I have no clue at all on how long it'll take... Let's hope for a successful surgery

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
07/10/2008 23:06
Rivas Surgery Successful
Inter have confirmed the operation to Nelson Rivas has been a success but the defender now faces a lengthy period out on the sidelines...

The Colombian defender damaged ligaments in his right knee during the game against Bologna on Saturday night and, as suspected by the medical staff, he needed an operation.

Rivas went under the knife on Tuesday evening and, after a two hour operation, Inter have confirmed that the procedure to reconstruct a part of his ligament was successful.

The operation was carried out by professor Franco Benazzo and Inter's medical chief professor Franco Combi and the San Matteo di Pavia clinic.

Combi is delighted with the outcome and he has deemed the surgery a success.

"The suspicions were confirmed by the scans and thus we proceded by reconstructing a part of his ligament which was completely damaged," Combi told the club's official website.

"Rivas will need at least 15 days of rest before he can begin his rehabilitation period."

The stopper is likely to be out for at least three months as he works his way back to full fitness. Inter's injury woes are not what the club needed at this stage of the season.

Salvatore Landolina

goal.com

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts