Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link Click Here

Manchester United have been strongly linked with a move for Benfica midfielder Manuel Fernandes according to the Portugese media. The midfielder has been in fantastic form this season and has also caught the attentions of Barcelona.

Only just turned 20, Manuel Fernandes is a product of Benfica's youth system who made his first-team debut during the 2003/04 season, under then coach Jose Antonio Camacho. A defensive midfielder, he made an immediate impression on both Camacho and the Benfica supporters, scoring in only his second game for the Eagles.

The following season, under the guidance of legendary Italian manager Giovanni Trapattoni, Manuel Fernandes established himself as a first-team regular in the centre of midfield alongside Petit. As the Lisbon club won their first Portuguese title in 11 years, he was an ever-present, playing an active role in all but five league games.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Manuel Fernandes is a possibility, Barca are also after him.

Being hailed as the new Makelele in some quarters.

This is not the 1st time we have been linked with this boy.

·
Registered
273 Posts
El Jefecito said:
Great Prospect!

A gem a could become world class... Any info you might want, just ask. :thumbsup:
How important is he now? When will he become a Portugal international regular? Could he play regularly for us now? :p

·
Registered
414 Posts
He's definately first team material, capped at all NT levels. He's been called up by Scolari a couple of times and will surely be a regular in a couple of years.

Could he play for you already? I believe so. One of his major strenghts is the fact that he's very mature being only 20. He was promoted to our main squad at the age of 17 two years ago and last year played most of Benfica's league games, helping us become champions.

He's not a holding midfielder though, he's a box-to-box type of midfielder. Like Tiago, but with better technique and defensive capabilities.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
the lad seems to be a good player, but will he get a chance in the united team? and will benfica be willing to part ways with one of therir most coveted youngsters.

also can he hack it in the premiership?

he is a potential target, no doubt, but is he a realistic target?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
El Jefecito said:
He's definately first team material, capped at all NT levels. He's been called up by Scolari a couple of times and will surely be a regular in a couple of years.

Could he play for you already? I believe so. One of his major strenghts is the fact that he's very mature being only 20. He was promoted to our main squad at the age of 17 two years ago and last year played most of Benfica's league games, helping us become champions.

He's not a holding midfielder though, he's a box-to-box type of midfielder. Like Tiago, but with better technique and defensive capabilities.
I've seen nothing of him so i'll take your word for it. :)

Certainly appears to be a more realistic rumor than most, and inline with Fergusons aim of creating an awesome youth team.

Thanks for the info El Jefecito, much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Why are we not being linked with Joao Moutinho?

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Ballack is probably off to Chelsea.

Diarra wont leave unless for something like £25 million and even then Real, Chelsea and god knows who else are after him.

Mascherano is more likely but even then your looking at £15 + and too with Real, Chelsea sniffing around.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
FiveMagics said:
Ballack is probably off to Chelsea.

Diarra wont leave unless for something like £25 million and even then Real, Chelsea and god knows who else are after him.

Mascherano is more likely but even then your looking at £15 + and too with Real, Chelsea sniffing around.
Watched diarra, he was alright tonight, didnt do anything special.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Red Bed said:
Manuel Fernandes is a possibility, Barca are also after him.

Being hailed as the new Makelele in some quarters.

This is not the 1st time we have been linked with this boy.
He aint the new makalele! he has great confidence coming formward and is more like a mix between ronaldinho and lampard(no where near tht good tho!!!!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
snatch1 said:
Link Click Here

Manchester United have been strongly linked with a move for Benfica midfielder Manuel Fernandes according to the Portugese media. The midfielder has been in fantastic form this season and has also caught the attentions of Barcelona.

Only just turned 20, Manuel Fernandes is a product of Benfica's youth system who made his first-team debut during the 2003/04 season, under then coach Jose Antonio Camacho. A defensive midfielder, he made an immediate impression on both Camacho and the Benfica supporters, scoring in only his second game for the Eagles.

The following season, under the guidance of legendary Italian manager Giovanni Trapattoni, Manuel Fernandes established himself as a first-team regular in the centre of midfield alongside Petit. As the Lisbon club won their first Portuguese title in 11 years, he was an ever-present, playing an active role in all but five league games.

the more midfielders we are linked with the better. i am pretty certain diarra is not going anywhere with lyon being the good team they are this year and if he does go it will be to a team like chavski or real or one of those italian teams :frustrat: but if this fernandez kid is as good as they say he is i want him.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
fizzi_g said:
ballack and diarra or ballack or mascherano is a much better combination.

out of those combinations i can only see us getting mascherano. at this point in time with our showing in the league and in europe i am sure that ballack and diarra are chavski bound if they are going to play in england. i wonder if this will finally change obi wan's decision to give us a hard time and insist on going to chelsea.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
obscureblkman said:
out of those combinations i can only see us getting mascherano. at this point in time with our showing in the league and in europe i am sure that ballack and diarra are chavski bound if they are going to play in england. i wonder if this will finally change obi wan's decision to give us a hard time and insist on going to chelsea.
at the mo we are doing better than chelsea in the league:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts