Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Darth Maul
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United are considering a swoop for Atletico Bilbao's Joseba Etxeberria, as Sir Alex Ferguson looks to strengthen the right-side of the champions' midfield.
The Spanish star, who can also play in attack, is on the list of possible summer targets for the Premiership champions, with Ferguson toying with the possibility of moving David Beckham into the centre of midfield, or, at the very least, providing some cover for the England international.

It has to be said that the right flank is one of the few areas of United's squad where there is not an international-class replacement within the existing staff. Indeed, although Jonathan Greening is still an option, the former York man is clearly not yet in the same class as many of his illustrious colleagues, and he could be quitting Old Trafford, in any case.

The 22-year-old is a Basque favourite, and he will be hard to prise from Bilbao's clutches, but Spanish sources are claiming that an agent, who has connections with United, contacted the Primera Liga club in a bid to assess his contractual situation and the buy-out clause.

The former Real Sociedad forward, who can enhance his reputation for Spain in Euro 2000, is under contract to Bilbao until 2004, and his father, Jose Antonio Etxeberria, handles most of his negotiations.

A powerful and determined player, he is always a threat when playing down the flanks, and he scored four goals during Spain's qualification series for the forthcoming European Championships.

------------------
Glory Glory MAN UTD
My MUFC Site : www.www.manutd.4ever.cc
My E-Mail : [email protected]

·
Darth Maul
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Athletic Bilbao midfielder Joseba Etxeberria is on Sir Alex Ferguson’s list of possible summer signings.

Fergie is keen to move David Beckham into a central midfield position and would like to sign the Spanish star that can play both in attack and on the right side of midfield as cover.

The 22 year-old Bilbao player is under contract with the Spanish side until 2004 but could be prised from their clutches if the money is right.

Spanish sources claim that an agent closely connected to United has contacted Bilbao in a bid to assess his buy-out clause and possible availability.

The former Real Sociedad forward is part of Spain’s squad at Euro 2000 and may enhance his chances of a move with good performances during the tournament.

------------------
Glory Glory MAN UTD
My MUFC Site : www.www.manutd.4ever.cc
My E-Mail : [email protected]

A

·
0 Posts
I think that Etxeberria could be a good signing for Man Utd as he could provide cover for both Becks and the strikers...Good one David! But one thing that I might see as a problem is if he is willing to fit into the rotation system at Man Utd as we all know this usually causes the players to get uneasy. But if he does sign on for Man Utd, I hope he does the same stuff with Bilbao and Spain!

Glory Glory Man Utd!

D

·
0 Posts
1) Beckham in the centre isn't a very good idea, although some people want him to prove he can play somewhere else, the right-half will probably remain his best position, and in big games he will definitely be played there. Who knows how long it take for Beckham to adjust to his new position.
2) Keep Beckham right-half/wing but leaving such talent such as Exteberria on the bench is just criminal.
Another words this deal shouldn't go through, this won't be a fairytale ending like Ferrer has had with Chelsea.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Considering that Edwards will not easily spent a generous amount of money for a really great bid I find it very hard to believe that Atletico Bilbao will sell their man.They are definitely a club which holds on to their star players and I think they will hold up on Etxeberria as they did with Guerrero and Urzaiz.Besides,Etxeberria himself knows that going to England will not help his international career at all since Camatcho is not even considering players out of spain.Let alone being Beck's sub (he is better than Becks in my opinion,but not for England) can very well turn him intio another Croyff (and I mean Jordi :)).

------------------
Parma will fight back...FORZA PARMA!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts