Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Realy this season Lazio fans are just spoiled for choice about where to begin with underperformers. Apart from players such as Eliseu or Bizzarri who played too little and hadn’t even the time to settle down in that mess that is this season’s Lazio, the obvious number one in this table is Davide Ballardini. I had great expectations on him, but his Lazio were as entertaining as a visit at dentist’s. Enough said. Not that the players helped him do well, in any way, after all it’s them who go out on the pitch and play the game, and Delio Rossi could really hold alot of conferences about how players can ruin the coach’s work. But Ballardini’s Lazio was simply obscene.

Another underperformer is (also because of injuries) Pasquale Foggia. One of Lazio’s best players last season, completely evanescent this season. In the games he played, he rarely showed the effectiveness that earned him a place in the Italian national team last season. His typical action was trying a dribbling on the right wing, falling on the ground, losing the ball, watching the referee, screaming at him. C’mon Pasqualinho, you can do better than that.

Stephan Lichtsteiner. Indeed, it’s a year he’s playing below the possibilities he showed in the first half of last season. Not that he’s playing that bad, if compared to a few of his team mates, but honestly he can do better. The ever running player we admired in Rossi’s Lazio has pretty much disappeared, in this merry go round of tactics.

Stefano Mauri. He has never done wonders after that amazing 2006-2007, in fact in the last seasons he always seems to play like someone playing at the Thursdays’ night game with the bar friends. But this season his level of irritating fans has reached his apex. Good that fans can’t be banned for blasphemy, otherwise I could have stayed out for life.

Mauro Zàrate. Again, I think the coach has some responsability, in his case, but no doubt Maurito is performing very much under the level he showed last season. Sitting on the bench might spur him to regain the form we admired in 2008-2009, which is capitally necessary to take Lazio out of troubles.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
I agree about all of those, but I'd add a couple of others.

Kolarov. He's tied for our top scorer in the league (with three!), and also has a couple of assists. Still, I'd say he has been a disappointment. He plays a way too big a role: dribbles loads, crosses more than anyone, shoots from distance all the time, and takes most our our set pieces on scoring range (and beyond). Zarate ruins a lot of attacks by holding on the ball, but Kolarov ruins just as many with his efforts. Obviously he's one our most talented players, but Ballardini never got his role right.

Cruz. Nobody can be as invisible as Cruz could be in Ballardini's tactic. It's a cliche to say that "was he even on the pitch?" but I actually sincerely said that in some games...just not enough mobility left, and the other strengths don't even come near to compensating.

Dabo. Ok, not many chances to shine but after some good performances last spring, I had hopes he could return to his former level. I'd say Dabo has been the biggest disappointment overall, he has looked simply horrible whenever fielded.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Everyone except Stendardo and Radu really.

But I am particularly disappointing by Zarate and Lichtsteiner. The former still no signs whatsoever of developing a football brain, so to speak. Every defender in Serie A knows his tricks already, yet he tries the same things over and over with very little success. The latter has become appallingly bad defensively and pretty much never gets a good cross in the box either. He just runs a lot, rather aimlessly. Diakite did more in attack against rube than Lichtsteiner does in two months. Very sad, considering how he used to be one of our best players on a consistent basis.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
Every defender in Serie A knows his tricks already, yet he tries the same things over and over with very little success.
That's absolutely true, and it's not a coincidence that he got much more done in the Europa league games...

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Not as a starter, but he has come on as a substitute a few times. I guess he hasn't impressed our coach yet.

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
Save for one splendid shot against Bari 2 weeks ago, he has hardly showed anything with us.

I would keep him for the next season. He has joined us in turbulent times. He needs to start adjusting his game to Serie A.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
quite a few reports today about Spurs interested in signing him on a free transfer in the summer but I find that hard to believe as he just signed for you 2 months ago. I assume he didn`t sign a 6 month contract that is.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
quite a few reports today about Spurs interested in signing him on a free transfer in the summer but I find that hard to believe as he just signed for you 2 months ago. I assume he didn`t sign a 6 month contract that is.
Why not, apparently his goal was to get into the German team for the World Cup, at least that's what some media claimed. Talk about a backfiring plan...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts