Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's watching the Under 21 game against Italy??

Portugal is up 1-0 (goal by Postiga on an nifty play by Miguel) but apparently the refs have decided to red card Jorge Ribeiro, and we're down to 10 men.

:nervous:

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Two minutes later and it's 1-1.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Game ended tied at 1-1. Any one knows whether this game will be shown on tape delay on RTPi?

Considering we went a man down with 35 minutes to go and the fact that we continued to press (according to Minuto Au Minuto from Maisfutebol) with wasted opportunities, I think we played impressive.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THis freakin' team is as good as the World Champions of 89/91.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
yup.

Peixoto
Makukula
Postiga
Tonal
Leita
Ednilson
Tiago
Ribeiro
Paulo Ferriera
Hugo Viana
Queresma
Ricardo Costa
Miguel
Candido Costa

When they get older ,they could be even better than your national team , which includes Figo , Rui costa , ect!!!:eek:

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Where can we catch the games? RTPi? Fox Sports? Where? I looked everywhere.

With regards to the line-up, you're all right. It's scary but I think this squad looks as good as the golden generation of the early 90's.

Peixoto: future superstar!
Makukula: future super striker!
Postiga: future Pauleta!
Tonal: ditto!
Leita: Baia who?
Ednilson
Tiago: as consistent as consistent gets.
Ribeiro: The future Jorge Costa
Paulo Ferriera
Hugo Viana: Rui Costa
Queresma: Figo? O.K. maybe not Figo.
Ricardo Costa: defender extroadinaire. Power, poise, maturity
Miguel
Candido Costa: future Capucho, or better.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Fee-Go said:
Where can we catch the games? RTPi? Fox Sports? Where? I looked everywhere.

With regards to the line-up, you're all right. It's scary but I think this squad looks as good as the golden generation of the early 90's.

Peixoto: future superstar!
Makukula: future super striker!
Postiga: future Pauleta!
Tonal: ditto!
Leita: Baia who?
Ednilson
Tiago: as consistent as consistent gets.
Ribeiro: The future Jorge Costa
Paulo Ferriera
Hugo Viana: Rui Costa
Queresma: Figo? O.K. maybe not Figo.
Ricardo Costa: defender extroadinaire. Power, poise, maturity
Miguel
Candido Costa: future Capucho, or better.
What's with the Ednilson and Miguel omission, Fee-go?

Ednilson is a faster Paulo Sousa. Miguel reminds me of Sergio Conceicao with is range along the wings.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
The ommision was purely accidental. I was rushed at work because I had to take a call. So whoever was waiting for me on the phone had to wait while I zipped through the names!:

It's true!:D

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Jonny Knoxville said:
yup.

Peixoto
Makukula
Postiga
Tonal
Leita
Ednilson
Tiago
Ribeiro
Paulo Ferriera
Hugo Viana
Queresma
Ricardo Costa
Miguel
Candido Costa

When they get older ,they could be even better than your national team , which includes Figo , Rui costa , ect!!!:eek:
Yup :proud: slowly but surely these guys will be integrated into our aging NT & be in the classes of Euro2004,08&12 & WC 2006,10,14 , the only times we may have a few down times is directly after the WC when I expect a whole host of Internation retirements

M

·
0 Posts
They ALL need to be playing though. Sergio Leite needs to be given a go in the Primera liga as number 1. I think he can be the best goalie Portugal ever had. I watched the playoff win vs Spain and he was sensational in both matches. He kept the score to 2-1 in Spain and he made two world class saves tro make sure we won the home leg. I have a great feeling about this team and when you think that Leal is injured, Caneira going to the WC and Simao injured you see this team is really capable of some thing. However our youngsters have always been good and it is important that we bring this batch up properly and make sure that they appear in WC at a much younger age and wont consider it a novelty to be at the WC. If Portugal can bring these players through to the full squad in the year so they are playing in Euro 2004 as first teamers then i think Portugal can become a much better squad. The future is bright..

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
They are playing Switzerland right now. It's 0-0 at the start of the 2nd half. However, Portugal has outplayed them and should be leading (damn posts!). Miguel has been really dangerous and Hugo Viana is a man among boys at this level.

However, Postiga left injured in the 1st half and has been replaced by Makukula.

Starting Line-up: (4-3-3)
GK: Sergio Leite
D: Paulo Ferreira, Tonel, Vasco Faisca, Briguel
M: Ednilson, Tiago, Hugo Viana
F: Candido Costa, Postiga, Makukula

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
1-0 Switzerland :mad: on a 60th minute PK

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
It is 0-2 now. We're done - what a disapointment.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
This has been a horrible month for our National Teams. First the U-20s get bounced in Toulon while only scoring 1 goal, then the U-19s fail to qualify for the Euro Championships by losing at home, and now this.

Talent-wise, this generation is comparable with the 90/91/92 guys. But, I refuse to anoint them as the second coming of the golden generation until they actually win something.

Let it also be said that this team is missing it's best Defender (Caneira), it's left winger (Peixoto), and it's best 2 players (Hugo Leal and Simao). Quite scary isn't , it?

M

·
0 Posts
Its always been Portugals problem. We should have won 4-2 but we lost 2-0. Why the hell cant we produce strikers that will finish. Semedo missed an open goal then gave away a penalty.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Bad luck to the Portuguese :sigh: :neutral:

I read the match reports on the game and Portugal did indeed dominate and were unlucky in front of goal. Apparently one of the reports @ Uefa.com suggested that Portugal could still have been playing and not scored such was their bad luck and poor finishing :frustrat:

Having said that, Switzerland are a good team with some quality players playing both in the Swiss Nationalliga(e.g Cabanas(C) - Grasshopper, Frei (Servette) both of whom have full international caps) and also abroad (Magnin plays in the Bundesliga). Switzerland also were involved in the U-17 tournament prior to this and won it against the odds :cool: :cool:. They may not be as technically skilled as Portugal and Italy and don't have the depth of England but they make up for it with astute tactics, hardwork, teamwork and organisation and obviously their players are decent enough or else they wouldn't be in the tournament (even though they were hosts they still had to qualify). I'm just waiting for all this success to translate to more traffic for the Swiss forum :hopefull:

On the upside (not that its probably much consolation) the Portuguese fans out numbered the Swiss :wth: which is quite amazing considering that the Swiss are hosting the tournament :groan: :frustrat:. Obviously the Portuguese know where to look for talent :cool: while the apathy shown by the Swiss fans is disappointing :(. Apparently in their senior team's loss to....Canada! :eekani: last week the crowd at St Gallen's Espenmoos cheered louder for the Canadian who plays for St Gallen than the Swiss team and in the second half, quite a few Swiss fans congregated with the Canadians (presumably to cheer on the Canucks) :rollani:. Perhaps this factors explain why its hard to attract supporters to the Swiss forum :sigh:

Now go and kick England's butt Portugal :hopefull: or else the world will never hear the end of England's success :irritate:

M

·
0 Posts
God yeah. They still havent let the Maradona handball incident go! :rolleyes:

Although i dont feel we will win it. It doesnt seem t be our tournament and i bet we get stuffed.:(

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
manuel said:
Its always been Portugals problem. We should have won 4-2 but we lost 2-0. Why the hell cant we produce strikers that will finish. Semedo missed an open goal then gave away a penalty.
Yeah it was our 2nd unlucky game in 2 games. We can still qualify though . Italy must beat Switzerland & we must play Makukula along with Ednilson coming back in & beat England at least 2-0

1 - 20 of 20 Posts