Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is the biggest Under 21 flop? Who showed the most potential and then suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth? I would like to hear what you all have to say.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Erm, Massimo Orlando? He was an under-21 regular when he was still billed as the next Baggio at Fiorentina (only 19). Where is he now? Noone knows..

Scheda Personale
Anno Squadra Serie Pres. Goals
------- ----------------- ----- ----- -----
1986-87 Conegliano Int. 1 -
1987-88 Conegliano Dil. - -
1988-89 Reggina B 22 1
1989-90 Reggina B 35 2
1990-91 Juventus A - -
ott. 90 Fiorentina A 25 8
1991-92 Fiorentina A 28 3
1992-93 Fiorentina A 29 3
1993-94 Fiorentina B 19 2
1994-95 Milan A 2 -
1995-96 Fiorentina A 9 1
1996-97 Fiorentina A 16 -
1997-98 Atalanta A 2 1
1998-99 Atalanta B 10 -
1999-00 Atalanta B

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
There is two from recent years I will say

1. Roberto Baronio (although hes been a Serie A player for years he has never improved to the level I expected)

2. Marco Zanchi (hes been unfortunate but I thought he could be the next great defender for us)

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
for me is EMILIANO BIGICA ( won the title U 21 on the season 95-96 )
He was even Bari's captain...H left Bari for go to be a bencher in Firenze...and he ruined his carrer...then went to Napoli where in 2 seaon he played only 2 games...1 season with Salernitana where he played 11 games(as replacement btw...),again with Napoli ( 11 games)...this season have played 14 games with Nocerina (Serie C2)...and now in January he have changed team...he's in Mantova ( Serie C2) but for now no games for him!

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Comparing someone to the ilk of Baggio is a huge ask,But I do remember Massimo though he blitzed in his first season then went missing.Arturo di napoli and Nicola amoruso are two i thought could go onto bigger and better things.

·
Registered
46,406 Posts
Great Outdoors said:
Erm, Massimo Orlando? He was an under-21 regular when he was still billed as the next Baggio at Fiorentina (only 19). Where is he now? Noone knows..
Those who watch "Quelli che il calcio..." know. :) I hardly watch it but the time I watched it there was Orlando as a guest. He has left the world of football and right now has a restaurant.
The problem with Orlando was that he did not like the trainings and he was not good enough to succeed without the right fitness.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Colonnese, Galante, Locatelli are some that I recall that were promising. Don't remember if Locatelli was a big star in the u-21 team though, but without injuries he would have been in the NT by now. Then we have Nicola Ventola too, in the late 90's one of the most promising Italian players now outloaned to crappy Crystal Palace.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Giacomo Cipriani, overhyped IMO but he was also injured for 2 years.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Maccarone,Boriello,Cirillo,Donati. I couldn't understand all the hype about Maccarone. I never thought he was anything special. As for Boriello, I remember the media refering to him as the next VanBasten. thats pretty funny!! He still is young enough to turn things around but his career has definetly gone off course.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Cipriani has had a great season this year. His problem is in th esystem he plays ion he wont score many goals at Bologna. Borriello was played like 3 times at Milan so obviously his potential was not going to be developed. I thought he had a good chance of making it big but now he is a bench player at Reggina which still isnt bad. I wouldnt mind being there anyway.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Arianna said:
for me is EMILIANO BIGICA ( won the title U 21 on the season 95-96 )
He was even Bari's captain...H left Bari for go to be a bencher in Firenze...and he ruined his carrer...then went to Napoli where in 2 seaon he played only 2 games...1 season with Salernitana where he played 11 games(as replacement btw...),again with Napoli ( 11 games)...this season have played 14 games with Nocerina (Serie C2)...and now in January he have changed team...he's in Mantova ( Serie C2) but for now no games for him!
It's sad to see Bigica languishing in Serie C2. I have fond memories of watching him in Bari when they were still in Serie A.. a very promising player..

This thread makes me tempted to create a new thread titled "Worst move a player has ever made". I think Bigica's decision to go to Firenze ranks as one of the top.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Baronio is #1, Donati & grandoni ( the def in livorno now) i think were prospects-to be!!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
U may count Andrea gasbarroni but he's still 23, but a lot was expected from the guy..
D'agostino was amazing at some times, but now?! these two still got plenty of time!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Matteo Brighi, still young and can turn it around but he was supposed to be something special no?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts