Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Umit Back to Gala

Umit Dvala has returned to Gala. What do you all think?
Me being a Gala fan is great news, and I think he made the right decision. He had problems with Ancellotti and was not given a chance at AC.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thursday 9th May 2002

Turkey midfielder Umit Davala has turned down an offer from Fenerbahce to re-join Galatasaray on a year's loan from AC Milan. "I rejected other clubs but after Fatih Terim signed for Galatasaray, I could not say no to him," he said.

"I had an offer from Fenerbahce and a lot of foreign teams, but after Fatih Terim signed for Galatasaray I thought of returning back," he said. "I could not say no to Terim. I hope we are going to be more successful than we were before."

Terim had announced he would make Umit Davala his first signing after returning to the club he led to Uefa Cup glory in 2000. "If you want names at this stage, I can give you Umit Davala," said Terim, who has been out of a job since he was sacked by Milan in November.

"Umit is now on vacation in Izmir but will be in Istanbul on Thursday to sign. I can also tell you that he is a present to me and Galatasaray from Milan after my time there."

Umit scored the last-minute penalty against Milan in 1999 that kept Galatasaray on the road to their Uefa Cup win and Terim signed him for the Rossoneri after taking over in the summer of 2001.

But the midfielder has failed to break into the Milan side under new coach Carlo Ancelotti and will be delighted to return to Istanbul.

Terim replaced Mircea Lucescu as coach of GS just a week after the Romanian led the club to the Super League title.

The news delighted Galatasaray fans and players as Terim has an unrivalled record at the club, which he led to four successive championships between 1997 and 2000.

His return was confirmed on Monday following a five-hour meeting with chairman Ozhan Canaydin, other members of the board and Lucescu, whose contract at the club had expired.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts