Xtratime Community banner

2121 - 2140 of 2152 Posts

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
What do you guys think of Ben Askren and all the trash talk form twitter? Is he gonna win a belt?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
What do you guys think of Ben Askren and all the trash talk form twitter? Is he gonna win a belt?

I haven't followed any of it.

Anyone seen Cormier vs Lewis? DC put on a clinic in takedowns.

First guy to defend the HW belt whilst also holding the LHW belt. One of the greatest of all time.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I haven't followed any of it.

Anyone seen Cormier vs Lewis? DC put on a clinic in takedowns.

First guy to defend the HW belt whilst also holding the LHW belt. One of the greatest of all time.
Not much of a title defense, but yeah he's one of the greatest. Weidman vs Jacare was much better. Class from Jacare to not put Chris in a coma after that knock down.

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
Very impressive performance

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts

This weekend baby, this fight is going to be so violent. I've got Gaethje by KO, but I don't rule out Donald wearing him down if Justin goes to his shelling defence too much as Cowboy is accurate with his shots.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Winner fights Connor I reckon. And the winner fights Khabib/Tony.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Cowboys's chin cracking is long overdue. True warrior!

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Attempt at a preview..

Donald Cerrone
(36-12) Vs Justin Gaethje
(20-2)

This fight has all the makings of an absolute war. There's a possibility that Gaethje pressures forward and knocks Cowboy out early, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen and it devolves into a war like Gaethje's fights with Alvarez and Poirier. Cerrone does sometimes have problems with pressure and I tend to think Gaethje will wear him down before stopping him in the later rounds. I've put a little bit of money on Cerrone by sub, just because I like the odds, but I don't think it's the most likely outcome.

Prediction - Gaethje by TKO round 4.

Glover Teixeira
(29-7) Vs Nikita Krylov
(26-6)

I'm not sure about this fight. Glover's peak is obviously levels above anything Krylov has seen, but he's getting older and has looked increasingly vulnerable in victory against guys he'd have smashed in his prime. Krylov has all the potential in the world, but tends to lack fight IQ, especially when he gets cracked and seems to forget any kind of gameplan and just start fighting, which is probably why the guy has never seen the cards in his life. If he can keep disciplined he can wear Glover down and stop him or pick up a decision, but I have a feeling he'll do something stupid, end up with Glover on top of him and probably get arm triangled.

Prediction - Teixeira by Sub Rd 2

Todd Duffee
(9-3) Vs Jeff Hughes
(10-2)

Another hard one to predict, simply because Duffee has been out for 4 years. If he's anything like the Duffee of old, I figure he'll have too much power for Hughes who is more of a grindy wrestler who'll try and wear him down. There's certainly a possibility that Duffee is rusty and gets pressured against the cage, but he looks physically the same to me and I think he'll starch him.

Prediction - Duffee KO rd 1

Michel Pereira
(23-9) Vs Tristan Connelly
(13-6)

Connelly is a late replacement, coming in on about a weeks notice. He's also a natural lightweight fighting a big welterweight. Pereira is an absolute lunatic who's been known to do backflips off the cage in the middle of a fight, so anything could happen. I think the smart money is on Pereira to get a highlight reel KO, but he can always get caught out taking the kind of insane risks that he does.

Prediction - Pereira KO rd 1

Antonio Carlos Jr
(10-3) Vs Uriah Hall
(14-9)

As usual it depends on which Uriah Hall shows up, he's a maddeningly inconsistent fighter who can beat very high level guys like Mousasi but also lose to just about anyone on an off day. It'll have to be a good day for Uriah to beat Shoeface who has fairly solid stand up and world class BJJ. I can see a KO path to victory by Hall, but I think at some point during the fight Shoeface ends up on his back and gets the rear naked choke.

Prediction - Carlos Jr by sub rd 2.

Rest to follow in a bit.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Misha Cirkunov
(14-5) Vs Jimmy Crute
(10-0)

This is a big step up for Crute, he's won in the UFC so far, but guys like Paul Craig and Sam Alvey are a world away from someone like Cirkunov. I like Crute's potential but I think this is a step too far for him at this stage, I don't think he has the kind of crazy power of Oezdemir or Walker who've previously knocked Cirkunov out. I expect Cirkunov to get the sub, though there might be an early Crute onslaught. Managed to get money on Misha as an underdog, so I hope I'm right.

Prediction - Cirkunov Sub rd 2

Augusto Sakai
(13-1-1) Vs Marcin Tybura
(17-5)

I'm not really sold on Sakai at this stage, he's undefeated in the UFC, but he's laboured to a couple of those wins. Tybura should be a step up from Arlovski who looked like he was there to coast to a pay cheque when he fought Sakai. Tybura has enough power on the feet to trouble Sakai and good enough top control to keep him honest. Both guys seem tough, so I think this goes the distance.

Prediction - Tybura decision

Cole Smith
(7-0) Vs Miles Johns
(9-0)

I've only seen limited fights from either of these guys, but Johns looked like a relentless wrestler in his last fight and I like him to repeatedly put Smith on his back and grind out a decision.

Prediction - Johns by decision

Hunter Azure
(7-0) Vs Brad Katona
(8-1)

Azure doesn't seem to me like the kind of guy Katona will be able to control. I've only seen his contender series fight, but he looked like he had dominant wrestling and an endless gas tank, which I think spells trouble for Katona, who I don't see being able to get into the fight once he's on his back. Managed to get Azure as an underdog in this one.

Prediction - Azure by decision.

Chas Skelly
(17-4) Vs Jordan Griffin
(17-6)

Skelly seems to be getting past prime to me after a good few years of fighting at the top level. He has good subs but Griffin seems to have good scrambling ability which should give Skelly some trouble. Skelly might well prove me wrong, but Griffin looks like the hungry up and coming fighter here.

Prediction - Griffin by decision

Louis Smolka
(15-6) Vs Ryan MacDonald
(10-1)

Ryan didn't look UFC level to me in his debut, Smolka is a well established UFC fighter who's looking a bit more muscular as he adapts to Bantamweight. MacDonald might make it awkward but I think Smolka gets him down and submits him at some point.

Prediction - Smolka by Sub rd 1.

Kyle Prepolec
(12-6) Vs Austin Hubbard
(10-3)

I haven't seen a great deal of either of these guys. Hubbard managed to survive three rounds with Davi Ramos, so I'm going to go with him.

Prediction - Hubbard by decision

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Conor should win at least 2-3 matches against top flight opponents to be considered for another shot at the belt.
He should, but that's not how things work when it comes to Conor. He's still UFC's golden boy and Dana will try to milk him out while he's still worth a buck.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Attempt at a preview..

Donald Cerrone
(36-12) Vs Justin Gaethje
(20-2)

This fight has all the makings of an absolute war. There's a possibility that Gaethje pressures forward and knocks Cowboy out early, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen and it devolves into a war like Gaethje's fights with Alvarez and Poirier. Cerrone does sometimes have problems with pressure and I tend to think Gaethje will wear him down before stopping him in the later rounds. I've put a little bit of money on Cerrone by sub, just because I like the odds, but I don't think it's the most likely outcome.
Cowboy looked awful during the weigh-ins so I think your money is not safe :(

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
It's only a speculative bet. It's 8/1 odds and I think if they fight 8 times, Cowboy catches him, jumps on him and chokes him more than once. This might not be one of those times, we'll see.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
It's only a speculative bet. It's 8/1 odds and I think if they fight 8 times, Cowboy catches him, jumps on him and chokes him more than once. This might not be one of those times, we'll see.
What are the odds for the match winning the "fight of the night" award? 1.02? :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Cowboy made a career of folding against the pressure fighters. there is no one who pressures more than Gaethje. Easy first round KO.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Cowboy made a career of folding against the pressure fighters. there is no one who pressures more than Gaethje. Easy first round KO.
Ferguson pressures as much as Gaethje and didn't get him out of there in the first.

Gaethje is also hittable, as much as I love the guy people seem to forget Eddie and Dustin both finished him and Johnson had him in serious trouble.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ferguson pressures as much as Gaethje and didn't get him out of there in the first.

Gaethje is also hittable, as much as I love the guy people seem to forget Eddie and Dustin both finished him and Johnson had him in serious trouble.
and Gaethje by an easy first round KO.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I checked the first page of this thread (it was 2009) and Cowboy is the first fighter mentioned. Guy's been fighting for so long and was always so active. He needs to give it a rest :(

2121 - 2140 of 2152 Posts