Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wally where are you? :D

Heerenveen-speler Ugur Yildirim heeft besloten in te gaan op de uitnodiging van bondscoach Marco van Basten om voor Oranje uit te komen, meldt De Telegraaf. De aanvaller had ook een uitnodiging op zak van de Turkse bondscoach waardoor hij gedwongen werd een keuze te maken.

Yildirim zei eerder dat het neerkwam op een keuze tussen zijn hart (Turkije) en zijn verstand (Nederland). Het feit dat Oranje met drie spitsen speelt en hij daarin het beste tot zijn recht komt, zou de doorslag hebben gegeven.

http://www.nos.nl/sport/artikelen/2005/1/22/22010959uguryildirimkiestvoororanje.html

·
Registered
59,136 Posts
It hasn't yet been officially confirmed yet. It's an exclusive from de telegraaf, our version of the Sun (ok not that shit :D ). As I said in the Dutch forum, I'll only believe it once he confirms it himself after the Heerenveen-Den Bosch game tonight when he'll confirm it. But then again surely a paper that claims to know it and uses it as its exclusive in the morning wouldn't want to look that stupid if they got it wrong.

Anyways we deserve to have him for starters for the fact that Ugur has to spare us from Andy vd Meijde :yuck: and Romeo Castelen :veiled: :D

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Welll he did get an invite to the friendly vs Tunisia so it's his choice, but good luck to him whatever choice he makes

·
Registered
59,136 Posts
Yeah Ugur apparantly will choose for us since he'll get to play in a 4-3-3 system which all kids are brought up with in Holland.

but why ? don't you have any right wingers like us too? isn't Gokdeniz one?

ok we have some but they suck :D (except for VDM once every 20 games) maybe Daniel de Ridder can become good but other than that it's poo

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Wally said:
Yeah Ugur apparantly will choose for us since he'll get to play in a 4-3-3 system which all kids are brought up with in Holland.

but why ? don't you have any right wingers like us too? isn't Gokdeniz one?

ok we have some but they suck :D (except for VDM once every 20 games) maybe Daniel de Ridder can become good but other than that it's poo
No Gökdeniz is more of a support striker or a offensive midfielder. A winger has to be able to cross the ball.

·
*the drum drum*
42,901 Posts
We don't even play with wingers to be honest. Well, except for Hasan Sas, who doesn't seem to play any other style..

But it's not just good for him system wise. It's just a better career move for a few reasons. The media attention is major factor, and the other is that a Dutch international is just a little more marketable than a Turkish international..
Less pressure, no need to adapt since he's Dutch raised. It all adds up..

It's a lot like Yildiray's preference to stay away from Turkish clubs, despite the many offers he's received. But Ugur has taken it that extra step..

What can I say, I'm upset about it, but I'm convinced it was probably the better move for him (again, if all this has gone through)..

·
Master Debater
20,802 Posts
I can't understand why Ersun didn't fight tooth and nail to get this kid. He did say a while back if he were called up he'd play for Turkey, why hasn't he been called up?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Tolga said:
But it's not just good for him system wise. It's just a better career move for a few reasons. The media attention is major factor, and the other is that a Dutch international is just a little more marketable than a Turkish international..
Less pressure, no need to adapt since he's Dutch raised. It all adds up..
I don't think you choose your National Team as a career move. You play for the country you want to represent. If he feels more Dutch than Turkish, than it's allright, but I have doubts that it's the case, afterall both his parents are Turkish, aren't they?

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
kubi said:
I don't think you choose your National Team as a career move. You play for the country you want to represent. If he feels more Dutch than Turkish, than it's allright, but I have doubts that it's the case, afterall both his parents are Turkish, aren't they?
Yep and he even said he would rather play for Turkey than for Holland. :confused:

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeniceri said:
I can't understand why Ersun didn't fight tooth and nail to get this kid. He did say a while back if he were called up he'd play for Turkey, why hasn't he been called up?

Why should we call up a player who doesnt know whether he is Turkish or Dutch....i'd rather see him playing for Holland than Türkiye if he has to be convinced to play for Türkiye!

It has to come from the heart....;)

Take Mustafa Izzet as an example......a very good player who in reality didnt have anything to to with Türkiye with the exception of his father being Turkish!

Good luck with the Oranje Ugur....:)

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
The only thing I'm afraid of is that nobody, from the Federation or Ersun Yanal himself, made a move towards him, and it could have made him change his mind. It's still no exuse for him, but it's a big mistake from the Federation. Also, I'm wondering how come nobody realised even before that there was a good young Turkish player in Holland who could play for the Ümit Milli Takim.
As for Muzzy, in fact he wanted to play for England, but time passed and he wasn't called up so he was finally convinced to play for Türkiye. His father is Kibrisli, isn't he?
Now, an even better example are the Altintop twins. Especially for Hamit, Germany really wanted him to play for their National Team, but he said no.

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kubi said:
Now, an even better example are the Altintop twins. Especially for Hamit, Germany really wanted him to play for their National Team, but he said no.

This is what im talking about....hamit said no because he is 100% Turkish....

Ugur Yildirim played a dirty game imo....he wanted to see who "offered" the most....and apparently Holland did it!

Im not blaming the federation because im pretty sure they told him to wait until the Tunisia game...but he chose Holland because he feels more dutch i guess!

Ugur also said he is an hardcore gala fan but would consider play for Fener if the money was good....sorry dude....but i dont want a player like you in my team! ;)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
kubi said:
He said no, but Ersun Yanal still isn't utilizing Hamit in our NT matches.
As for Ugur, goodluck to him, i guess he feels more dutch which is fine by me.

TURKLUK ANLATILMAZ, YASANIR.
No need to convince anyone, Ay-Yildiz kutsal bir simge, giyen onurlanir.
He'd be lucky and honoured to wear the Crescent-star jersey, not the other way around.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
D-lite said:
He said no, but Ersun Yanal still isn't utilizing Hamit in our NT matches.
As for Ugur, goodluck to him, i guess he feels more dutch which is fine by me.

TURKLUK ANLATILMAZ, YASANIR.
No need to convince anyone, Ay-Yildiz kutsal bir simge, giyen onurlanir.
He'd be lucky and honoured to wear the Crescent-star jersey, not the other way around.
Btw did you know that the new Schalke 04 coach is using Hamit as a right back? He had his breakthrough as a central midfielder where he became famous for his great shots.
I wonder where he is going to be used on the national team.

·
Registered
373 Posts
why is everyone blaming ugur as a while back ersun yanal said that he did not like the way ugur played and said that the only thing ugur can do is cross and that he was not going to call him up. (read it in sabah gazetesi a while back and ajansspor)

I hope he has a successful career in the dutch national team as it will give the turks in holland someone to look up to and if he is successful it will improve the image of turkish players in europe as well.

Him opting for holland has nothing to do with turkish nationalism or him being a dutch wannabe. It’s the federations and ersun yanals fault.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
If we can get back to the topic here, instead of all this Greco-Turk bickering...

Ugur Yildirim has made his decision, I mean if he feels like he is more comfortable representing the Netherlands than Turkey, its his business. I think alot of people are making this out to be like he turned his back on Turkey. If he was raised in the while Dutch culture, or if he has lived there all his life (I'm assuming he's the son of a gurbetci), then I don't think it should be that surprising that he has chosen to wear the orange shirt instead of the red and white shirt.

It kind of brings up a controversy regarding Turks who are born in other countries, should they represent their ancestral homeland, or the country in which they are born in and have been raised in? If they go with the country they were raised in, they could be looked upon as traitors, and smiled upon if they choose Turkey.

By my observation, there seems to be the feeling that Turkish expatriates have an obligation to represent and should represent Turkey because they are Turks. Speaking as a Turk who has lived in the United States all his life, I don't think this should be the case. If someone feels like they should represent a country that he/she has lived in their entire life, instead of the country of their roots, then that is the person's business. Then again, I haven't been faced with that decision.

As for Ugur Yildirim, best of luck to him.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts