Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The draw has been made for the Group rounds of the competition.

The format will again be mini-tournaments hosted by one of the countries in each group.

2003-04 UEFA Women's Cup draw:

Qualifying round Group 1
NK Krka Novo Mesto (SLO) (host)
Maccabi Holon FC (ISR)
TKSK Visa (EST)
SK Lebeke-Aalst (BEL) [dropped out?]

Qualifying round Group 2
Skopje (FYRM) (host)
SV Neulengbach (AUT)
ŠK ZSNP Žiar nad Hronom (SVK)
Ledra (CYP)

Qualifying round Group 3
NK Osijek (CRO) (host)
Cardiff City LFC (WAL)
Sarajevo (BOS)
FC Kazakhstan Temir Zholy (KZK)

Group Round:

Group 1
Brøndby IF (DEN) (host)
Niš (Serbia/Montenegro)
FC Kilmarnock (SCO)
KR Reykjavík (ISL)

Group 2
Schwerzenbach (SWI)
FC Bobruichanka (BLS) (host)
Gömrükçü Baku (AZE)
Aegina (GRE)

Group 3
Umeå (SWE) (host)
Slavia (CZE)
Newtownabbey Strikers WFC (NIR)
Clujana (ROM)

Group 4
FC Foroni Verona (ITA)
FC Energy Voronezh (RUS) (host)
Budapest (HUN)
NK Osijek (CRO)

Group 5
Malmö (SWE)
FC United Jakobstad Pietarsaari (FIN)
Legend-Chernigov (UKR) (host)
Maccabi Holon FC (ISR)

Group 6
Kolbotn IL 1 (NOR) (host)
Juvisy (FRA)
AZS Wroclaw (POL)
UCD Women's Football Club (IRL)

Group 7
Frankfurt (GER)
Athletic Club (ESP) (host)
S. União 1° Dez. 3 (POR)
SV Neulengbach (AUT)

Group 8
Fulham Ladies FC (ENG)
Ter Leede (HOL) (host)
KÍ Klaksvík (FAR)
FC Codru Anenii Noi (MOL)

·
Registered
236 Posts
good to see one is held in Holland. Might have a look if i can. I count on you, Jeff, informing me about the dates ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jeff said:
Group 6
Kolbotn IL 1 (NOR) (host)
France champion
Poland champion
UCD Women's Football Club (IRL)
Hi!
Poland champion is AZS Wroclaw!!
I played match with Azs in Polish League Cup. We losed 8:0. So I think that Azs is very good club.

:)

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Qualifying and Group Rounds are complete, and the Quarterfinals are coming up:

Brøndby (DEN) v Gömrükçü Baku (AZE) (Nov. 1 & 29)

Frankfurt (GER) v Fulham (ENG) (Nov. 2 & 30)

Energy Voronezh (RUS) v Umeå (SWE) (Nov. 7 & 23)

Malmö (SWE) v Kolbotn (NOR) (Nov. 22 & 29)

There are two Swedish teams, Umeå being in the tournament as reigning Cup holders.

No French or Italian teams made the QF this year.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Jeff said:
The Qualifying and Group Rounds are complete, and the Quarterfinals are coming up:

Brøndby (DEN) v Gömrükçü Baku (AZE) (Nov. 1 & 29)
The Brøndby Ladies won 9-0 and seem to be ready for the semis. ;)

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the news, Frederik.

Frankfurt beat Fulham 3-1 today Nov. 2.
Goals:
Frankfurt: Katrin Kliehm, Sandra Albertz, Birgit Prinz
Fulham: Rachel McArthur

·
Registered
269 Posts
Umeå Wins First Leg

Jeff said:

Energy Voronezh (RUS) v Umeå (SWE) (Nov. 7 & 23)
Umeå IK defeated Energy Voronesh, 2-1 on the Russian club's home field. Umeå's goals were by Jessica Juhlin (24) and Hanna Marklund (33). Energy scored the opener at 20. Here's a link with more information for anyone who understands Russian ;) :

Umeå IK 2 - Energy Voronesh 1

·
Registered
269 Posts
Frederik said:
The Brøndby Ladies won 9-0 and seem to be ready for the semis. ;)
Congratulations to the Danish champions Brøndby. If anyone is wondering how a team from Azerbaijan made it as far as the quarter-finals, here is the link to an article that gives the details:

Baku make first quarter-final

Baku was very fortunate to get drawn into Group 2. French champions Juvisy probably could have won this group easily, but were instead very unlucky to get drawn into Group 6. Juvisy won their first two group matches by an aggregate score of 14-1, but were elimated from the competition after losing 2-1 to Kolbotn on the Norwegian champions home field.

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
Malmø beat Kolbotn 2-0 in Sweden. However, Malmø used a player that they had not put up on the referee's card, and therefore might get either a fine, or could possibly lose the match.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Malmø - Kolbotn

Orange said:
Malmø beat Kolbotn 2-0 in Sweden. However, Malmø used a player that they had not put up on the referee's card, and therefore might get either a fine, or could possibly lose the match.
Thanks for the update Orange. Was this match televised in Norway? If you find out any more details please post them here if you get the chance.

I was also curious about the status of Solveig Gulbrandsen for the return match. I saw the article "Syk Gulbrandsen måtte ut" posted at the "toppserien.com" site and was wondering what exactly was wrong with Solveig? :confused:

It looks like from what I can understand Gulbrandsen was replaced by Natalia Galvez in the 70th minute and while she was playing she was apparently only a shadow of her usual self.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Umeå has defeated Energy Voronezh again by a 2-1 score. Hanna Ljungberg scored the winner in the 90th minute.

The Swedish team now advances to the semi-finals.

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
I am sure she will play, she just had a stomach ache. After what I can see Gulbrandsen didn't play a great match, but she did almost score.

Unfortunately, Norwegian TV did not send the match, and I don't think they will send the second match either. Kolbotn did deliver a protest though. The result could be a Kolbotn win, something which the Malmø coaches think would be extremely unfair.

Kolbotn say that they are just focusing on winning the homematch.

·
Registered
69,254 Posts
How did NK Osijek do? suprised to see a Croatian team but I know that our national team has been doing well lately. Hopefully they can qualify for a tournament.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From UEFA.com:

UEFA has dismissed a protest by Norwegian club Kolbotn IL against Malmö FF concerning the Swedish side's use of a substitute who was not included on the official match sheet in Saturday's UEFA Women's Cup quarter-final first leg between the two clubs.

Fine imposed
UEFA's Control and Disciplinary Body confirmed Malmö's 2-0 victory, but fined the Swedish club €1,900 for negligence. Malmö have until Friday 28 November at midnight CET to lodge an appeal. The return leg takes place on 30 November.

Official match sheet
The UEFA disciplinary body heard that Malmö introduced a 64th-minute substitute, Therese Jönsson, who was not listed on the official match sheet, which led to Kolbotn's protest.

Human error
Jönsson was qualified to play in the competition, and was duly registered with UEFA. Malmö said that the player was questioned before the match to determine whether or not she could play. The Swedish club said in its statement that the failure to write the player's name on the official list was due to human error, and apologised for the mistake.

Culpable negligence
The Control and Disciplinary Body ruled that although Malmö had violated the regulations, the situation did not have any influence on the match result, which was confirmed. It considered that the violation was the result of an "administrative shortage, caused by the club's culpable negligence," and decided to fine the club.
------------------------

NK Osijek survived the qualifying round by defeating Sarajevo 3-0 and the Kazakh team 2-1, despite losing 2-4 to the Welsh team.

In the Group 4 play, they got hammered by the Italians 10-0 and by the Russians 13-0, but managed a 3-3 draw with Budapest before being eliminated from the competition.

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
Malmø were very lucky to beat Kolbotn on aggregate in the quarterfinals. I saw the match today, and saying that the referee was poor, would be an understatement. She stole a clear penalty from Kolbotn, and blew on almost every single little duel. In the first half, she even blew before 90 minutes had passed.

Kolbotn won 1-0, in a match they dominated. Malmø was not a bad team, but they definetly looked like losers today, even if Bente Nordby of Kolbotn had to make a few great saves.

I all ended 2-1 on aggregate though. Better luck to Trondheims Ørn next season, and best of luck to both Malmø football club, and Kolbotn coach Peer Danefeeld (who now will become the manager of Brøndby), in the semifinals.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for the report, Anders!

Refereeing is still a big problem in the women's game.

Malmö will now face Frankfurt in the Semi-finals.

Frankfurt defeated Fulham 4-1, for a 7-2 aggregate.

The other semifinal will be Umeå v. Brøndby.

Brøndby made short work of Gömrükçü Baku, beating the Azeri team 3-0, for a 12-0 aggregate!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dates for the semi-finals have been announced:

March 27: Brøndby v. Umeå
April 4: Umeå v. Brøndby

March 28: Malmö v. Frankfurt
April 11: Frankfurt v. Malmö

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Mar. 27 result: Brøndby 2-3 Umeå

Goals:
Umeå - own goal (shot by Laura Kalmari), 22
Brøndby - Cathrine Påske Sörensen, 34
Brøndby - Ditte Andersen (pen.), 43
Umeå - Jessica Julin, 45
Umeå - Marta, 80

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
I watched a bit of the match on television. Umeå seemed a lot better than Brøndby and the win therefore seems quite fair, I'm afraid.

After Umeå's 1-0 lead they relaxed a bit more, and Brøndby got more control of the play. The 1-1 and 2-1 goals were quite deserved but one still felt that Umeå was more than capable of striking back.

Brøndby could go on a surprise in Sweden in the return leg, but I still doubt Umeå will lose this on the ground.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the report, Frederik!

In the other semi-final match, on March 28, Malmö and Frankfurt fought to a scoreless draw.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts