Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a look at this from the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4233353.stm

This would be too good for Athletic, maybe Erreala (if they change back their policy), and other teams. Of course, it wouldn't guarantee anything but in theory we would regain something we lost with the Bosman law.

If we haven't done so bad in the last number of years, what could we do in the years to come if this comes into effect?? I can only dream... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
inigo said:
Have a look at this from the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4233353.stm

This would be too good for Athletic, maybe Erreala (if they change back their policy), and other teams. Of course, it wouldn't guarantee anything but in theory we would regain something we lost with the Bosman law.

If we haven't done so bad in the last number of years, what could we do in the years to come if this comes into effect?? I can only dream... :rolleyes:
This is a blessing and a curse.

The blessing is obvious.

The curse is now all Basque players (and Spanish for their respective clubs) values has gone up. It will be more expensive to have Basque players.

Supply and demand.

Here is what I am thinking. now the player pool eligible to the league has shrunk.
So instead of buying cheaper foriegn players, teams will look to buy more players born in Spain. Which drives up the value of the Spanish born player. So now , when teams look for quality players they will look to buy Athletic's Players. So it will become more expensice to keep our good players.

an Illustration.
RM needs new striker, so soon instead of being able to go outside Spain and buying Michael Owen, they will need a Spanish player. Then they will look to teams like Athletic, Betis, Sevilla for their players to reinforce their rosters. That drives the price of the Spanish player. So instead RM will buy an onform Ezquerro, sending Ezquerro's value up and up.

However, all and all, I think in the end we will benefit

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm guessing a lot of the big clubs will be looking to bring in any promising young players from outside Europe as well. Someone like Freddy Adu becomes an even bigger target because at 15 he spends three years training with the youth squad and can premier at 18 as a "home-grown" player. Most of the big clubs probably do this anyway, but more clubs will probably be risking it.

With Alaves and Eibar in promotion positions, there could be 5 Basque clubs next season in Primera Liga. Local talent could start getting spread thin. Qza

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
B2B is right, the value will gone up for sure, but doesn't history learn us most of our stars are coming from our own youth academy / we bought them at a very young age? Plus most of our players are loyal to Athletic?

Think it can only be good for us if this rule is going to be used...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts